Votes: 1 0.9%
  • prepooing dry hair is better

Votes: 37 33.3%
  • I don't prepoo

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters

IMFOCSD

Hi ladies,

I have been reading a lot about prepooing, but have not tried it. I actually want to try it and see if it will be beneficial. So, to all my prepoo ladies do you prepoo on dry hair or do you wet your hair first? If you have done both which way seems to be better for your hair and why?

ETA: excuse the typo, I couldn't correct it.

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I pre poo on dry hair because it's more convenient. That and the fact that dry hair can absorb more of the goodies in the conditioner/oil that wet hair can't

I tried on wet hair a few times and I prefer dry :yep:

IMFOCSD

Re: Prepoo:wet or dry?

I pre poo on dry hair because it's more convenient. That and the fact that dry hair can absorb more of the goodies in the conditioner/oil that wet hair can't

I tried on wet hair a few times and I prefer dry :yep:

how so?(@ the bolded)

I always wondered this but I was confused because say you wash once a week and always prepoo b4 hand, would all the moisturizing and oil from sealing you have put in your hair block what it needs to absorb from the prepoo? and if hair is wet would the water that has absorbed into the hair block what needs to be absorbed from the prepoo?

I hope this makes since.

tiffers

Think of hair as a sponge. A sponge that's already wet can only absorb minimal liquid because it's already filled with water. A dry sponge on the other hand can absorb much more water than a previously wet sponge.

I don't think wet hair prevents the conditioner from penetrating, it's just that your hair won't be able to absorb as much as it could if it were dry.

The oils you use shouldn't interfere with your prepoo because the "sealing power" ( I just made that up :giggle: ) of oils usually evaporates after a few hours. That's why you have to moisturize and seal daily. Otherwise, we'd be able to seal once and be set for life :lol: Unless you're using heavy greases and things of that nature, your products won't prevent the pre poo from doing its job :)

~NanCeBoTwin~

I also prepoo on dry hair......Even before I started my Ayurvedic regimen. And I have to say its one of the better changes I've made since joining the board. My NG soaks up the moisture not to mention I've also started doing prepoos on my dd who is 100% natural and I find it beneficial when dealing with ALL of her hair as well. I can't offer an opinion as to which is better because I've never tried to do it on wet hair. Before I started pre'pooing I did a youtube search so I could see different approaches and just about everyone I checked out does it on dry hair. HTH

honeybadgirl

Think of hair as a sponge. A sponge that's already wet can only absorb minimal liquid because it's already filled with water. A dry sponge on the other hand can absorb much more water than a previously wet sponge.

I don't think wet hair prevents the conditioner from penetrating, it's just that your hair won't be able to absorb as much as it could if it were dry.

The oils you use shouldn't interfere with your prepoo because the "sealing power" ( I just made that up :giggle: ) of oils usually evaporates after a few hours. That's why you have to moisturize and seal daily. Otherwise, we'd be able to seal once and be set for life :lol: Unless you're using heavy greases and things of that nature, your products won't prevent the pre poo from doing its job :)

very good way of putting it!!:yep: i agree and i prefer prepoo-ing on dry hair also

rosalindb

I pre-poo on dry hair once a fortnight & sit under my hooded dryer for 30 minutes. I only use natural products on my hair and they are mostly organic such as rosewater, jojoba oil, EVOO, VCO so there are no cones etc. In addition, I co-wash with a solution of very diluted Aubrey Organics White Camellia or just rinse with water so there is not much build up.

I believe the conditioner can therefore penetrate but I also mix my pre-poo moisturising conditioner which is Aubrey Orgranics HSR with honey & JBCO which are great humectants. I sometimes added organic blackstrap molasses if my hair needs it.

Every 4th week I clarify the day before I prepoo so that my pre-poo is done on clean hair & I use my protein conditioner Aubrey Orgranics GPB mixed with honey & JBCO.

I try to alternate between protein and moisture.

Last edited:

brickhouse

I pre-pooed yesterday on dry hair with Apretadora and it stop my shedding. I normally lose a lot of hair but this time only a few strands.

exoticmommie

I prepoo on dry hair, unless I am doing a straight (nothing but) honey treatment. I damp my hair a little for that first, and sometimes put a little conditioner on after applying the honey. :grin:

nikki2229

I pre-poo on dry hair once a fortnight & sit under my hooded dryer for 30 minutes. I only use natural products on my hair and they are mostly organic such as rosewater, jojoba oil, EVOO, VCO so there are no cones etc. In addition, I co-wash with a solution of very diluted Aubrey Organics White Camellia or just rinse with water so there is not much build up.

I believe the conditioner can therefore penetrate but I also mix my pre-poo moisturising conditioner which is Aubrey Orgranics HSR with honey & JBCO which are great humectants. I sometimes added organic blackstrap molasses if my hair needs it.

Every 4th week I clarify the day before I prepoo so that my pre-poo is done on clean hair & I use my protein conditioner Aubrey Orgranics GPB mixed with honey & JBCO.

I try to alternate between protein and moisture.

What natural product do you use to clarify your hair. I use natural products 95% of the time and I am trying to perfect my regimine with natural products.

Last edited:

rosalindb

What natural product do you use to clarify your hair. I use natural products 95% of the time and I am trying to perfect my regimine with natural products.
Hi

I use bicarbonate of soda to clarify. I only started clarifying about 4 years ago and have been using this ever since.

chebaby

when i was relaxed i loved to pre poo on dry hair in sections with conditioner or coconut milk.
but now that im natural with a twa i always spray my hair with a litle water first and then pre poo. my hair isnt soaking wet but its damp.

Solitude

On dry hair just because it's easier, but if I am doing honey or steam, then I dampen my hair pretty well first.

tiffers

Do you guys pre poo with oils even though you're using a clarifying shampoo?

I don't pre poo before clarifying because I don't see the point. I've tried it before just to see if there was any change and I didn't notice a difference. Some people do it and love it, though :yep:

Urban

I've seen the light!!!! My not pre-pooing days are over!! I had to take out a weave I just got done coz it was waaaay too tight in some places and I wanted to treat my hair before putting the weave back myself. I decided to give pre-pooing a go, applying EVOO on dry hair and left it on for about 3 hours before washing. My hair is mostly 4b, but was a dream to detangle and so soft!! Infact, there wasn't any detangling to do really. Love it!!

If you've been hesitating, JUST TRY IT!!

PGirl

I always prepoo on dry hair with heat. It's too inconvenient for me to have to wet my hair beforehand. That would defeat the purpose really. I might as well just DC after shampooing if I was going to do that.

cookie1

I've only prepoo'd on dry hair and I throw on a plastic cap and scarf to hold it on. I go to sleep (overnight) and co wash and condition. I'm not consistent but, w/ my results I see i need to be more consistent.

beans4reezy

On dry hair. I haven't tried pre pooing on wet hair. I don't think I will though, I get fine results just prepooing dry hair.

Neith

I like to pre poo on dry hair.

Either a hot oil treatment or a protein treatment (protein once per month)

I read that many Indian women SOAK their hair in coconut oil before washing.

I like pre poos because they let less water into the hair... it reduces the swelling of the hair shaft.

The repeated swelling hair and opening and closing of the cuticles adds to wear and tear... so I minimize both while still keeping my hair moisturized and conditioned.