Aphogee and BRAIDS

SugarPie

Hey ladies,

I am about 14 weeks post relaxer and 2 months post box braids. I plan on taking the braids out next week and relaxing the week after. Ideally I would wait a little longer but I only have about 10 days off for spring break and I need to get my hair done before I come back to school because MA is lacking on the hair salon front. Anyway, I know I need to start preparing my hair for being relaxed and I was wondering how should i go about doing that. Can I do a protein treatment, or use the 2 minute reconstuctor by aphogee while in braids now. I figure I should start using some protein in my washes now but do you think that this will have a negative effect on my hair when taking out the braids. What are you guys thoughts on aphogee and braids.

Also, you ladies know that waiting period between taking out braids and getting a perm. What do you do with your hair during that time? I usually just hide away in my house lol but I actually want to go out this break.

Thanks in advance ladies!!!!

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Try spraying your braids with Infusium23 and following that with your braid spray, as this will help to add some strength, and then do a protein treatment following your relaxer.

If you follow the crown and glory braid regimen, it will help to keep your hair strong while in braids, too.

ETA this is the method I have used when in braids, and I have had no problems with my post relaxed hair following braids.

Last edited:

ajargon02

For me, I let my hair rest from braids. I am a natural, and leave braids in a max of 3 months. When I take them out, I do a protein treatment, either henna or aphogee in the purple bottle. I then follow up with a dc on the same day. For 3 weeks after the protein, each week I do a deep condition. Then on week 4-6 I just do conditioner wash alternating conditioners with protein and moisture. Then I go back to dc weekly for 4-6 weeks. If I want to I do a protein treatment afterward.

As for getting out of braids and relaxing, I would (if possible) let the hair rest for 2-3 weeks from braids coming out to relaxer.I would immediately do a protein treatment once out of braids, then follow up with dc right after. Week 2 I would do a dc (always dcing with heat) then let the hair rest. No washing, scratching, combing or brushing with in 3-5 days of relaxer. Hope that helps! Now keep in mind that I am a natural, and the last relaxer that I had was over 10 yrs ago.

ETA:
You should be oiling your scalp at least weekly with something like "hot 6 oil" if you don't make your own. You can get a hair coloring bottle from sally's to help the oil only to get on your scalp. Also you should be using some sort of spray leave-in conditioner (african braid spray, if you don't make your own, or 911 spray in the blue bottle) you can put it in a spray bottle to get to the braids, and saturate them 1-2x per day. Besure to wrap up your hair at night as well. there's a wonderful satin like cap you can get at any bss for like $2 that's made for long hair or braids. This way you can gently put your hair to bed at night without tension. I use this daily on my hair, and I sleep WILDLY, but that sucker stays on.

Last edited:

SugarPie

thanks ladies.. keep em coming.. but do any of you have an opinion on aphogee specifically. i have the 2 minute reconstructor that i use when my hair is not in braids and i love it but should i use it while in braids?

SugarPie

oo. sorry yall. i forgot to mention that once a week I use CON moisturizing shampoo to wash my hair and usually i use Aubrey organics honeysuckle as a deep conditioner. (this is all while in braids) after that i use Neutrogena silk leave in. since its getting closer to relaxer time ive changed the deep conditioner to aubrey organics GPB and have used Giovanni direct leave in along with the neutrogena silk leave in. Is this too much protein? can i use the giovanni and AO GPB in place of infusium 23. Is this ok?

SugarPie

lol..i always wondered what if i can treat me braids (with extensions) like real hair. are you talking about braids with or without extensions...