Post BC Hair Regimen

NikkiQ

Hi ladies! :waves:

It's me again. Currently approaching the 2 week post BC mark and enjoying my hair more and more every day. I'm in the process of figuring out the best reggie for my hair to maximize healthy hair growth. I was wondering if you guys could help me.

Did your reggie change drastically post BC or was it pretty much the same as before? Were there any products that you discovered that blew your socks off when you saw how your hair reacted to it? Any special techniques and practices that made your natural hair love you even more?? TIA!

Your Cheeziness

Wait! When did you BC? I missed it! Congrats! Anywho, it took me months to figure out my regimen after my big chop. My hair improved after getting a trim to get rid of the scragglies I left behind.

The format of my regimen was the same, my products just changed.
Cleanse/condition, moisturize, seal. Choosing products is purely trial and error.

davisbr88

Mine changed drastically, but then I changed it right back. Lol.
I thought I would need an insane amount of moisture when I became natural, but I still do need the protein since discovering my hair was porous, and that's the regi I follow now, and has been most successful.
Basically, protein and moisture treatments weekly, and moisturizing and sealing every couple of days.
My favorite product of all is the Miracurl Conditioner and Detangler. Makes gentle detangling a breeze for me, which is super important since my strands are fragile.

nestlequik

Mine changed- after I moisturize I also seal which I didn't like to do when I was relaxed b/c it made my hair feel heavy. I co wash which is also new. I've also tried a lot more natural products like Aubrey Organics, Qhemet, and Hydratherma. But a lot of things that work on relaxed hair like pre poo, DC, etc, work for me as a natural. The major difference for me as a natural is I have to be vigilant about moisturizing and....I don't avoid the rain!

brownstallion

life ain't easy!!
I BC'ed in jan however, I still consider myself a newly natural. I'm still learning my hair and my reggie changes all the time. When I first chopped I was scared that my hair would be dry so I over moisturized. Now I know when to stop. Wet sets (braidouts, twist out, ect) work best on my hair and Co washes are needed at least twice a week. I just did a twist out using not today conditioner and kkcc pudding and it was fabulous! I could not believe that I only used 2 products and my hair felt moisturized and kept a good hold. I'm learning as I go so I'm interested in what others have tried also.

Iluvsmuhgrass

My reggie hasn't really changed a whole lot. As a matter of fact I still have some definite staples (HELTR, HECMH, Nexxus Emergencee, Fantasia IC olive gel, and various oils.) My techniques are relatively the same when it comes to detangling/blow drying and such (Wanakee method.) I still use low to no heat. (I've only flat ironed twice for length checks and to see where I was at.)

What blew me away? When I realized it had been a while since I used protein. I put Emergencee in my hair and left it on for a while. I rinsed and saw defined coils. I was shocked. I DC'ed and got even more WOW!!! My hair felt sooo good! For days it felt great then I messed up and did a hard henna treatment. :sad: Protein isn't the debbil (just certain kinds :lol: ). Especially since our coils can be fragile.

What's changed? More co-washing, leave-ins, and DCing. More paranoia by listening to other naturals about problems I don't even have :lachen: and heavy oils for the winter. Definitely more manipulation as it gets longer.

What's made my grass love me back? Mixing oil into my leave ins and applying to wet hair. Or using my leave-ins and applying a small amount of castor oil to seal on wet/damp hair.

growinghealthyhair

It took me a few months. Maybe 2 or so to really begin figuring out what my hair likes!!! I'm using more natural hair products and things that are more moisturizing.

lesedi

All is well with me
i bc'd about 3 weeks ago now and my regimen has gotten a lot simpler. I cut down on protein drastically. I now basically cowash daily, baggy daily and moisturise with conditioner and castor oil.

Amoreofcurls

Congrats on your BC!!!!

to answer the question hmmm lets see

My regimen back in Aug/Sept 08'

Daily:
-Co wash and detangle every other day or two with V05 conditioner.
-Moisturize w/ S-curl and/or V.glycerine and water mix.Elasta QP Mango Butter on ends.
-Apply Megatek to scalp.
-Seal with 100%Pure Organic Coconut Oil

Weekly:
-Deep condition every sunday w/ Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol

Monthly:
-Clarify w/ lemon juice and water mix
-Egg and Mayo for 2 hrs(if needed)followed by DC treatment

My regimen now

MONTHLY
Hendigo
Bentonite

BIWEEKLY
Cassia treatment (might do cassia glosses w/ DC every week now)

Weekly Regimen

PRE WASH
Pre poo w/Vatika Oil the night before or a couple of hours before...
Remove shed hair

CLEANSE (clarify)
Shampoo scalp and hair,
and twist up
Allow hair to get 80% dry

DEEP CONDITIONIN
Apply DC mix to dry hair
Steam for 30mins or leave in overnight
Rinse with cold water

ACV Rinse
2tbspn ACV to 8oz Distlilled water
Spray in, leave in for 3-5 mins
Rinse with cool water (not completely)

MOISTURIZE & SEAL
Aloe Vera Juice water spritz
creamy leave in
Oil

then Style

Its looks like its definately has, my regimen became more structured based on what I learned about my hair along my journey ;I shouldnt manipulate my wet hair much by detangling often...I have low porosity so it makes sense for me to clarify before I DC every week,plus I get build up pretty quick...also I cant DC for no less than 2 hours if im not steaming...I need somewhat heavier oils to seal

plus ive become an ayurvedic lover...

Last edited:

leiah

I agree with everyone who has mentioned protein
When I first BCed I didn't really know anything about hair care and used this keratin shampoo & conditioner only because it was "natural" and that's what I was aiming for
it's a light dose of keratin, not at all like aphogee or anything like that. Now I know that I can't use protein every day, but I liked what this line did to my hair and used the conditioner everyday and the shampoo at least 2x a week
at that point I didn't like the length and was still hiding it, so I don't know what effect it had on the overall look of my hair because I never styled it
But now, nearly 2 years post BC, I have thick and healthy ends and have never needed a trim.

Just baby your hair because what's on your head now will be your ends in the future

NikkiQ

Thanks ladies! These are a lot of great suggestions! At the moment, my reggie is pretty simple. I cowash daily, M&S 2x day, shampoo 1x week, DC 1x week, PS everyday. Not too sure about the products I use though, but I guess the reggie is fine. Less is more huh?lol

dede1129

Did you post pics of your bc??? I been waiting to see ;-)

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

davisbr88

Thanks ladies! These are a lot of great suggestions! At the moment, my reggie is pretty simple. I cowash daily, M&S 2x day, shampoo 1x week, DC 1x week, PS everyday. Not too sure about the products I use though, but I guess the reggie is fine. Less is more huh?lol

Girl I just noticed today that I didn't respond to this text.
Fail :nono:
Anyway, I think it's a good regi. Are you sure you need to M&S twice a day though? Since you cowash everyday, that might be a LOT of moisture. Esp if you're PSing and keeping your hair hidden anyway. I doubt it will dry out over the course of a day.

NikkiQ

Girl I just noticed today that I didn't respond to this text.
Fail :nono:
Anyway, I think it's a good regi. Are you sure you need to M&S twice a day though? Since you cowash everyday, that might be a LOT of moisture. Esp if you're PSing and keeping your hair hidden anyway. I doubt it will dry out over the course of a day.

It's usually just a light spray and a wee bit of oil. Nothing too overloaded, but I may cut back eventually.

NikkiQ

Ohhhh no. Just enough to keep my girl nice and moisturized. Don't want her being weighed down with product and smothering her lol