porosity - the forgotten step

are you aware of the pH of your products? you can select more than one option.

• I am aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 48 13.1%
  • I am not aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 128 34.9%
  • I have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I do not have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I have no clue what you're talking about

Votes: 119 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

afiya27

Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this but...

If I understand this porosity thing correctly, it involves the degree to which your hair absorbs and releases moisture. This is apparently related to the degree of openness of the cuticles (more open = more absorption/loss). The degree of cuticle opening depends upon pH (acidic = closed cuticle, basic = opened cuticle) ...

Presuming that that is all correct, would it be useful/logical to do some variation of the following every week?

1) Wash hair (diluted shampoo = to get out built up product)
2) Baking soda wash (high pH/basic = pore/cuticle opening in order to absorb DC)
3) Apply DC (let it seep into the wide open pores/cuticles = deep penetration)
4) ACV rinse (low pH/acidic = pore/cuticle closing/sealing in order to seal in the benefits of the DC)

**Note: I basically am presuming that ACV is acidic. But a Google search didn't really give a clear answer. Any insight on that would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Missi

AHHHHHHHH To many post to read.... I think I'm missing this step. I know when I used Keracare: my hair was more softer & smoother....but since switching to Ayurvedic products: i think I need to add in PC.

Missi

Okay I'm a lil confused: maybe someone can pm me.

PC & ACV are different?

PC - Shampoo, PC, DC, rollerset :blah:
ACV - Relaxer, Reconstructer, Neutralizer, ACV, :blah:

Aggie

Okay I'm a lil confused: maybe someone can pm me.

PC & ACV are different?

PC - Shampoo, PC, DC, rollerset :blah: - Yes you can do this routine. I use both the PC poo and conditioner in this case.

ACV - Relaxer, Reconstructer, Neutralizer, ACV, :blah: - You can do this also but one or the other , not both at the same time. I wouldn't use the ACV at the end of the relaxer though, because the neutralizing shampoo corects the porosity for you.

Yeah it could get a bit confusing., but PC and ACV do the same thing and that is correct the porosity of your hair. If moisture isn't staying in your strands then you'd need to correct the porosity of them. Hope this helps a little.

Aggie

AHHHHHHHH To many post to read.... I think I'm missing this step. I know when I used Keracare: my hair was more softer & smoother....but since switching to Ayurvedic products: i think I need to add in PC.

I find that I had to do the same thing after starting my ayurveda regimen as well. I try to stick to using the ACV rinse more than the PC conditioner because it's a more natural choice.

Aggie

do you all think it would be a problem to use these methods in conjunction with an ayurvedic regimen?

I'm giving myself a henna treatment right now and I will be following this up with a quick porosity control conditioner then Dcing. My hair is usally so dry after a henna treatment that I found the PC has been allowing my hair to hold the moisture from the DC much better. So in answer to your question, for me it would be no it would not be a problem.

newflowers

There are a number of products that you can use to correct the porosity of your hair, so you should use whichever one you like that works best for you. If you're using all natural products, then acv rinse should work just as well.

*Muffin*

I pay attention to porosity. It wasn't something I always did, though. Citric Acid and ACV are natural Sequestrants (chelators), which mean they bind metal ions to themselves and rid them from hair. They also can help restore hair's natural acidity. So I make sure I do an ACV or Citric acid treatment every week. I usually alternate between using equal parts ACV or Citric acid with conditioner and clarifying my hair with it and just doing regular ACV or Citric acid rinses. I noticed my hair feels a lot softer and looks shinier because of it.

lovepeacesoul

You guys, PC is noooo joke! After using Sunsilk Hydrating Curls for only 2 weeks, my ends staring breaking off in clumps. I cried. After discovering that there was in evil cone in it (it was the second ingredient!!!) I decided to get Roux Porosity Control. I figured it was worth a try and my 4a/b hair is porous.

Tonight, I did a banking soda treatment followed by the RPC which I left on for about two mins and I'm happy to have my old hair back.

tgrowe

Hey Newflowers,
The best way I can explain it is if you have ever used/applied a relaxer in the box-kit, some of those kits contain a pre-relaxer cream or treatment that you put on your hair before applying the relaxer. Not the petroleum or whatever goop you would use to base your scalp and outer edges. I use the PC the same way. The directions state to apply the PC, rinse your hair and then do the chemical service such as a relaxer or color. Well I sure in h*ll wouldn't apply the PC, rinse and THEN relax so I thought one day, "What if I just use it on my hair as pre-treatment?" I applied it to my whole head and then relaxed. Again the first time I did it I hadn't had a bone straight relaxer in 4 months so I just knew my hair wouldn't take the relaxer well. I was wrong and surprised. I know it sounds peculiar but it worked for my poor head. Plus I use it with nearly every wash. Love that stuff. HTH

newflowers

Thanks. I haven't relaxed since March - it's a jungle in there - and I just placed my order with Polly, s I'll be touching up this weekend. I'm going to try it. L'oreal used to have a pretreatment that was great; since it was discontinued, I've not found a replacement. Maybe this will be what I've been looking for.

jumpingjax1906

I just started using Roux Porosity Control. I used it for the first time yesterday, and my hair has never felt or looked better. It is very soft and silky and has "slip". I did a rollerset and didn't have "big hair" when I finished. No fly a ways, just smooth soft curls. i will continue to use to see what the results will be in the long term.

tgrowe

Thanks. I haven't relaxed since March - it's a jungle in there - and I just placed my order with Polly, s I'll be touching up this weekend. I'm going to try it. L'oreal used to have a pretreatment that was great; since it was discontinued, I've not found a replacement. Maybe this will be what I've been looking for.
If you try it, let us know how is turns out.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hey Newflowers,
The best way I can explain it is if you have ever used/applied a relaxer in the box-kit, some of those kits contain a pre-relaxer cream or treatment that you put on your hair before applying the relaxer. Not the petroleum or whatever goop you would use to base your scalp and outer edges. I use the PC the same way. The directions state to apply the PC, rinse your hair and then do the chemical service such as a relaxer or color. Well I sure in h*ll wouldn't apply the PC, rinse and THEN relax so I thought one day, "What if I just use it on my hair as pre-treatment?" I applied it to my whole head and then relaxed. Again the first time I did it I hadn't had a bone straight relaxer in 4 months so I just knew my hair wouldn't take the relaxer well. I was wrong and surprised. I know it sounds peculiar but it worked for my poor head. Plus I use it with nearly every wash. Love that stuff. HTH

Thanks TGrowe ! I am going to try this the Next Time I Self-Relax. Great Tip.:yep:

SpiritJunkie

This is a great post!!! Thanks so much. I've been complaining about some dryness although I do everythng I should. I will include this step and see the results. I had this product for a while but never really used it.

I'm trying to get past SL with healthy hair come hell or high water!:grin:

LaidBak

Hey Newflowers,

Just to clarify ('cause I might try this), you are applying the PC to your NG as well right? Are you letting it dry a bit afterward or are you just applying the relaxer straight away?

Kimdionneca

I went and bought the Roux Porosity yesterday at Sally's. It cost me about $14.00. I went home last night and I tried it. This is what I did.

1. I clarifyed my hair with the hydra thermal nutrients clarifying shampoo
2. I conditioned with the hydra thermal nutrients protien conditioner and sat under the dryer for about 30 min's and then rinsed
3. I sprayed ginger juice and water on my scalp and sat around with a bag on my head for about 25 min's then rinsed- I just like the heat the ginger gives - I read about doing that on another thread.
4 Then I put some of the hydra thermal nutrients mosturizing conditioner on for about 10 min's then rinsed
5. Then I did the Roux Porosity Conditioner

I could tell that while I had it on it definately defined my curls and weighed down my hair but afterward I still got some shedding or breakage I didn't seem like less shedding. :nono:

What did I do wrong? :ohwell: What would you suggest? I did the porosity test before I bought the product and my hair did sink in the bowl of water. Should I just keep trying this product, how long before it will help. Some girls seem to report immediate results. Help please.

newflowers

I would suggest you continue to use the product, but please keep in mind that when your hair is porous, it may take a bit to correct the problem. Shedding is a result of the hair cycle - PC will not change that.

Kimdionneca

I would suggest you continue to use the product, but please keep in mind that when your hair is porous, it may take a bit to correct the problem. Shedding is a result of the hair cycle - PC will not change that.

Thanks newflowers I will continue it, do you think I should do it again soon? Is tomorrow too soon or should I wait till next week? I will try to be patient but it's hard when you see hair coming out.

jrae

I'm giving myself a henna treatment right now and I will be following this up with a quick porosity control conditioner then Dcing. My hair is so dry after a henna treatment that I found the PC has been allowing my hair to hold the moisture from the DC much better. So in answer to your question, for me it would be no it would not be a problem.

Aggie, do you think it would be better to apply PC before the Henna treatment so the henna will absorb better? I'm doing Henna this weekend. Just wondering...

Bachelorette

Aggie, do you think it would be better to apply PC before the Henna treatment so the henna will absorb better? I'm doing Henna this weekend. Just wondering...

I say

-henna
-moisturizing dc
-PC

cos the PC will make the moisture from the DC last since henna can be quite drying

Aggie

I say

-henna
-moisturizing dc
-PC

cos the PC will make the moisture from the DC last since henna can be quite drying

Sorry I was not available to answer this question jrae. I was flying home from Nebraska and got in quite late in the evening and was really too tired to do anything but sleep. I agree with Bachelorette in the method.

Henna, DC, then PC although if I was going to do this, I would use PC before and after henna. Before because it would help the henna to work better and after because you'll need to restore the moisture balance to your hair. HTH.

Last edited:

newflowers

Thanks newflowers I will continue it, do you think I should do it again soon? Is tomorrow too soon or should I wait till next week? I will try to be patient but it's hard when you see hair coming out.

I've used PC twice a week to my hair's benefit. What are you using for your protein and moisturizing deep conditioners? Any styling issues that might contribute to breakage?

Kimdionneca

I've used PC twice a week to my hair's benefit. What are you using for your protein and moisturizing deep conditioners? Any styling issues that might contribute to breakage?

Newflowers, I have been using the hydra thermal nutrients. It has a clarifying shampoo and a moisture shampoo and then a protein conditioner and a moisture conditioner that you are suppose to alternate with. I have been using their whole line. Just this past week though I went to by some of those cheepie conditioners that everyone talks about for co-washing. I bought the Ausie Moist and the JASON sea kelp oh and I bought the Conditioner by Paul Mitchell for leave in.

I used the Sea Kelp and the paul mitchell leave in yesterday for the first time, the jury is still out. I felt like after co-washing I had to really replace all the oils I had just washed out.

I have been wearing my hair in a puff, because I still need a little more length before I can get a decent bun. Cuase right now my bun is like tiny about the size of a nickel. lol:blush: But I have been using different gels to define my curls like the twist and lock gel by the roots and the Eco style brown gel. Today I used lilly of the valley 99 % aloe vera gel hoping that since its closer to a natural product, it won't be as drying but my hair still feels dry. It may be though because I did that co-wash last night ( although I don't even know if I did it right) and it just needs a couple of days to let the daily oils and moisture build up.

Ok hope this wasn't too long but I appreciate any help you can give.:yep:

senznme

I started using PC and loovvveeed it. My hair felt wonderful afterwards. Recently, I colored my hair. I used PC before the color and after the dc. I used it after using a clarifying shampoo, and my hair loved it. My hair looked and felt great. I am going to be using it weekly after my dc and see how it works out for me. I believe it will work well, I shall see. I am so glad that I found this forum. I am loving learning about my hair. So sad it took so long. But better late then sorry.

cookie1

I've been doing ACV rinses (before I DC) and each time I get better results. I'm adding more ACV to the dilution each time unitl I find something that works for me. About 2 days ago I did the rinse (after my k pak trmt) before I used my Joico Moisture Recovery Balm and blow dried my hair. I moisturized my hair w/ HS 14 n 1 and pulled my hair in a ponytail and the middle of my head (driest) wasn't brittle but moisturized. I think it's needs a little more tweeking but, I'm almost there and will stick w/ the ACV for a while. Before I thought the cowashing wasn't doing anything for my hair and now I think it was more of a porosity problem. I'll continue cowashing every 3 days and see what happens with my hair.

Question: Should I be doing an ACV rinse before a relaxer for better results? If so, since water on my scalp irritates, shouldn't I do it like 2 days before my relaxer- when I do my protein treatment?

OP,
I think this thread is the buzness and if I would've known how important porosity control was a year ago (when I joined forum) I'd saved on alot of products.

newflowers

Newflowers, I have been using the hydra thermal nutrients. It has a clarifying shampoo and a moisture shampoo and then a protein conditioner and a moisture conditioner that you are suppose to alternate with. I have been using their whole line. Just this past week though I went to by some of those cheepie conditioners that everyone talks about for co-washing. I bought the Ausie Moist and the JASON sea kelp oh and I bought the Conditioner by Paul Mitchell for leave in.

I used the Sea Kelp and the paul mitchell leave in yesterday for the first time, the jury is still out. I felt like after co-washing I had to really replace all the oils I had just washed out.

I have been wearing my hair in a puff, because I still need a little more length before I can get a decent bun. Cuase right now my bun is like tiny about the size of a nickel. lol:blush: But I have been using different gels to define my curls like the twist and lock gel by the roots and the Eco style brown gel. Today I used lilly of the valley 99 % aloe vera gel hoping that since its closer to a natural product, it won't be as drying but my hair still feels dry. It may be though because I did that co-wash last night ( although I don't even know if I did it right) and it just needs a couple of days to let the daily oils and moisture build up.

Ok hope this wasn't too long but I appreciate any help you can give.:yep:

How was your hair when you were using only the Hydrothermal products? I don't use any of the products your list here, but I have tried the JASON - it didn't do much for my hair, but one of my daughters really loved it, the other found it very drying for her hair; they're both natural. I co-wash with my same phyto conditioners because it's what works for me. And I think that's really important - you have to use what works for you.

When I first began my hair journey, my hair was a mess - damaged, dry, breaking, dull, rough - you name any bad thing, and I had it going on - my hair was terrible. I left the salon, returned to doing my own hair, finally returned to using phyto products exclusively after a brief stint of pj-ism. It took about a year for me to get over trying everything thing that was discussed on the boards. After that, another sixish months of consistent care, and my hair was much improved; sixish more months, and my hair was pretty perfect (for me).

I really think using products that work for your hair - with full awareness that what works for others, no matter how wonderful the raves, may not work for you. If hydrathernal naturals is doing what you need, then just use that one - is one of the most important things you can do for your hair. I would beware of clarifying too often - that will dry your hair. If you've got the moisture/protein balance correct, keep doing what you're doing, and the condition of your hair will improve. It's not likely your hair was damaged overnight, so you should not expect your hair to return to tip top shape overnight either. Make sure you check the pH of the hydrathermal naturals products - I'm sure the vendor knows if it's not listed on the bottles.

With the exception of AOHSR which I use for the scent on date nights (dh loves it), silk peptide powder, porosity control, and camellia oil, I stick with phyto for my daily hair care because I know this line of products works for me. If you know the Hydrathermal works for you, then ditch the cheapie conditoners and give your hair time to get better. A product/method to control the porosity of your hair - be it the roux, joico, or a simple acv - is important because your hair will be stronger and shinier and less likely to break because it holds mositure better when the cuticles are flat.

All of these words to say use products that work for YOU, be consistent, and give it time.

newflowers

I've been doing ACV rinses (before I DC) and each time I get better results. I'm adding more ACV to the dilution each time unitl I find something that works for me. About 2 days ago I did the rinse (after my k pak trmt) before I used my Joico Moisture Recovery Balm and blow dried my hair. I moisturized my hair w/ HS 14 n 1 and pulled my hair in a ponytail and the middle of my head (driest) wasn't brittle but moisturized. I think it's needs a little more tweeking but, I'm almost there and will stick w/ the ACV for a while. Before I thought the cowashing wasn't doing anything for my hair and now I think it was more of a porosity problem. I'll continue cowashing every 3 days and see what happens with my hair.

Question: Should I be doing an ACV rinse before a relaxer for better results? If so, since water on my scalp irritates, shouldn't I do it like 2 days before my relaxer- when I do my protein treatment?

OP,
I think this thread is the buzness and if I would've known how important porosity control was a year ago (when I joined forum) I'd saved on alot of products.

I do my last porosity control three days before relaxing - the same time as the last big protein treatment, but you have to be careful. If your scalp is sensitive, you could burn, so use caution and base well.

The last time I relaxed, I used someone's recommendation to apply the pc to the hair strands before relaxing - man oh man was I nervous. I based, sectioned, and applied the pc which I let dry before I relaxed, and the results were stellar, so I really think lowering the pH, closing the cuticle makes a positive difference in the relaxer process.