Ponytail rollerset versus...."twist rollerset"...?

zzirvingj

I just read somewhere online where someone mentioned two-strand twisting their natural hair at the roots before setting their hair on rollers.

I've tried the ponytail rollerset method before and it seemed to work okay. Has anyone here tried a "twist rollerset" method on their hair before??

Napp

Ms. Nobody
a ponytail rollerset seems like something you would do if you wanted straight hair. the twist rollerset look like a variation of a twist out. more of a style than something to blow out your roots with and flat iron... this is just imo. maybe if you twist tight enough you can get the roots straight but i know that aint happening w/ really tight napps.

zzirvingj

Well I'm gonna rollerset my hair 2nite....last time the ponytail rollerset came out nice but the roots were still KINKY. But my flat iron got the roots straight :yep:

Ya'll think I should try the twisting at the roots or stick with the ponytail set? :look:

Me2

Very interesting. I'm thinking it would look like a curly braidout...could be wrong. Please share if you decide to try it.

shmmr

Are you talking about how curlynikki does it on her blog? I've tried the twist-n-curl - it didn't work out for me. Not sure if I twisted too tight, didn't use the right products or what...but I twisted down the whole length of the hair then curled it.

loolalooh

It doesn't sound like the twist-rollerset will get your roots straight. Like some have said, I think you'll get wavy braidout looking roots. I've never tried it though so I could be wrong.

It sounds like the ponytail rollerset is your best bet. For me, snap-on rollers also get my roots straight. Another option (if you're fine with heat) is to flat-iron the roots after removing the rollers.

Sunshine_One

Hey Z,

Actually, CurlyNikki has a tutorial on the method she uses. The key to getting the roots flat and smooth is using a roller clip at the base of the twist. It's a variation on a style that many of us used while transitioning. Back then I used a perm rod on the ends to make straight hair curl. Now I find this method helps to elongate my natural hair and give more volume to my twist outs. I use the small green magnetic rollers on the ends.

I think you should try it out.

Also, I am experimenting with doing a "braid roller set". In stead of using a band or roller clip I will braid my hair at the base (about an inch or two) and then roll the length of the hair. I will post results w/pics once I perfect it.

Here's the link to curlynikki's tutorial:

www.curlynikki.com

Mrs.TheBronx

I think i will try this method. it sounds good!! It sounds like it will still have the two strand twist to it but also lengthen the twist, curl and give added defintion. Its worth a try! :)

Crown

I think i will try this method. it sounds good!! It sounds like it will still have the two strand twist to it but also lengthen the twist, curl and give added defintion. Its worth a try! :)

I do braids roller set with magnetic rollers, air dry until it's DRY, ponytail the braids up to one hour, I keep the braids one day or two (if two, ponytail braids at bedtime) and I do braids out : more definition, length, shine and softness.
I have fine hair, I don't like twist (less definition).

FindingMe

Hey Z,

Actually, CurlyNikki has a tutorial on the method she uses. The key to getting the roots flat and smooth is using a roller clip at the base of the twist. It's a variation on a style that many of us used while transitioning. Back then I used a perm rod on the ends to make straight hair curl. Now I find this method helps to elongate my natural hair and give more volume to my twist outs. I use the small green magnetic rollers on the ends.

I think you should try it out.

Also, I am experimenting with doing a "braid roller set". In stead of using a band or roller clip I will braid my hair at the base (about an inch or two) and then roll the length of the hair. I will post results w/pics once I perfect it.

Here's the link to curlynikki's tutorial:

www.curlynikki.com

Thanks for the link!!!:grin: I have added her blog as her hair is absolutely GORGEOUS! I always do braid outs, bc the twists always unravel. The clips at the root are what I needed...THANKS!