POLL: HENNA + No Direct HEAT = No split ends????????

How often do you trim and do you henna and use direct heat?

• Yes, I henna and do not use direct heat and I trim often

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I do not henna but I do use direct heat and I trim often

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bebezazueta

Hello,

newbie here. I was just talking to one of my Indian coworkers and she was surprised when I told her I used henna. We found out we both use the same brand "Reshma". She started to give me all of the benefits of henna and one of them she mentioned had me really curious! She said that when you use henna, YOU DON'T GET SPLIT ENDS AT ALL!

Ok, now I know that there are many contributing factors to damaged ends and heat being one of them. So I decided to start this poll to really see if there's any truth to her statement.

I couldn't argue with her because since I've been using henna (May) and not flatironing/blowdrying (March), I have not needed a trim at all. NOTE: I concentrated on my ends when I henna.

Please vote: Whether you use Henna or not. I want to get an idea of how and if henna can really prevent split ends.

Thanks in advance

gadgetdiva

Well I've used henna before, not with a flat iron though. I did use a low heat setting blow dryer. Henna does have some strengthening properties see Sistaslick 's article: Henna Safe Relaxed Hair? She tells how the henna coats the hair to my understanding....I could be off but read and decide or hopefully more ladies will chime in.

kandiekj100

Wow, i wonder if that is true. I've only used it once, so I really can't vote on it. I'm very interested in what others have to say.

LushLox

It wouldn't surprise me. I don't henna (yet) but I rarely straighten and I don't have many splits (if any).

Henna is the only thing missing from my regi, but I've heard so much about its strengthening and conditioning properties so I'm looking to introduce this asap. Just looking for a reputable retailer now.

Sherae

I have been using Henna monthly for about a year now. I use heat regularly and I very rarely see any splits. I don't smooth the henna all the way to the ends all the time because my ends will tend to get a little tangly. But yea, I do believe henna has been keeping the splits away.

FebeeSigns

I used Henna once monthly in 2009 and I still got split ends. No excessive combing or direct heat. Just detangling one a week and wearing a satin scarf to bed. I didn't even wear my hair out often. But one contributing factor of split ends is dryness. And many report that henna dries out there hair, even after they rebalance their protein/moisture. And I can probably say I did have some dry hair days last year.

Hersheygurl

I have definitely noticed a difference in my ends since I have begun to use Henna. I use Nupur 1-2 X a month and have also tried a Pakistani henna called SAFA.

I rarely use heat and normally keep my hair up, but prior to henna, I would still get some splits. Not any more! Henna has made my texlaxed hair so much stronger and my ponytail is much thicker. Before I started using henna, I was discouraged at how thin my bone straight relaxed ends looked next to the thicker texlaxed portion. Now, the thickness is more uniform from root to tip.

Henna can be drying, but I found if I don't use more than a splash of lemon and add some honey to my mix, I am just fine ( I also DC afterwards).

I was so scared to try it the first time, but I'm so glad I did.

lalla

I believe it.

When I use henna regularly, I have fewer split ends and stronger hair.

steffiejoe

I like the strengthening effect from henna, but it really dried my hair out. Even with a super moisturizing conditioner it takes a few days get my hair back to normal . I used henna for about 7 months. I think it caused massive splits in my crown area. I had to cut about 2 inches from this area. No other sections of my hair were split this bad. After this happened I searched the web and found a few people who said that henna was not good for people with dry hair. My crown area is the driest section on my head.
That being said I stopped using henna because I'm afraid of massive splits. I trim regularly, about 1/2 inch every 3-4 months, so I don't think the splits were from lack of trims. I can't prove it but its more then likely the result of the henna.

Oh and I use heat about 6 times out of a year.

Last edited:

joytimes10

I don't henna as regularly as I should (1x every 60 days or so) but when I do, I feel a distinct differnce in the strenght f my hair. I'm an impatient detangler and after a good henna treatment, I lose very few strands during detangling.

My reminder to henna is when the strand count starts going back up. I very rarely use direct heat (2-3x/yr) so that may also contribute to the fact that I have 0 split ends. My hair will break before it splits due to lack of moisture. Since I've found the perfect leave in (kimmaytube ph balanced mix) I have solved my moisture issues completely.

LushLox

I don't have any problems with dry hair anymore, steam treatments completely changed that problem. If I actively start using henna say monthly I'll just steam twice a week rather than once.

nikolite

After I henna (I do this every 8 weeks) my hair is noticeably stronger and thicker and there is much less breakage. It is drier also, but I baggy and moisturize more than normal during the first few days to restore the balance. I have naturally fine, porous hair too so the dryness is actually a good thing for me as henna also keeps my hair from experiencing hydral fatique.

I'm not sure if it stops splits--I was never good at identifying them in the first place. But I believe it stops them in their tracks at least, since it coats the strand pretty well. Like another poster said, it also makes sense that they may cause hair to break before splitting because of the dryness, but the right moisture regimen should take care of that easy.

If you have thick, coarse strands or nonporous hair, I wouldn't recommend henna though. It might be overkill in a similar way that protein is for this type of hair, and cause very dry, brittle strands for hair that already needs extra moisture most times. The poster with breakage in the crown area may have had coarser hair in that area (and by coarse I mean thicker, stronger strands, not a texture).

72giagia

I have been using Henna monthly for about a year now. I use heat regularly and I very rarely see any splits. I don't smooth the henna all the way to the ends all the time because my ends will tend to get a little tangly. But yea, I do believe henna has been keeping the splits away.
Hi Sharae,

I'm new on the board and was wondering what is your henna recipe. I would really appreciate any recipes and tips.

thanks