Please help- i think I have chlorine damage!

Ayesha81

I spent 11 days in Jamaica and now my hair is breaking into pieces. I have never had a problem with my hair. My hair has always been healthy. I have not used flat irons, curling irons,blowdryers or any form of direct heat. Only a hooded dreyer for rollersets. My hair is bra strap and has always been healthy. And it now seems as if my hair is damaged from the salt and chlorine from the beach/pools while I was in Jamaica. I never though to protect my hair. I am so scared- What should i do?! My hair means everything for me. My hair is shredding. Thanks.

locabouthair

I think a chelating shampoo might help to remove some of the chlorine. Kenra, Joico, and Nexxus make some.

Don't worry. it will get better.

Traycee

So sorry to hear your going through this..I would start deep conditioning asap!!! Chlorine and Salt water dries your hair out ....deep condition and start daily moisturizing...

My husband and I travel a lot and I stay in the water for future references this is what I do

Swimming....Wet hair completely before getting in pool..This keeps hair from absorbing so much chlorine....Add moisturizing conditioner or , comb cocoa butter cream through your hair from root to tip...This protects hair from soaking up the damaging chlorine & cover with Swimming Cap

When I don't wear a swimming cap for cute purposes ..I wet hair and add pure cocoa butter from root to tip...protects hair and my hair is so so soft when I rinse and shampoo....There are different brands of after swim shampooo ..I always take a bottle with me....but at home I'll rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar to make sure all chlorine is removed

Ayesha81

Thank You- I will start ASAP.

So sorry to hear your going through this..I would start deep conditioning asap!!! Chlorine and Salt water dries your hair out ....deep condition and start daily moisturizing...

My husband and I travel a lot and I stay in the water for future references this is what I do

Swimming....Wet hair completely before getting in pool..This keeps hair from absorbing so much chlorine....Add moisturizing conditioner or , comb cocoa butter cream through your hair from root to tip...This protects hair from soaking up the damaging chlorine & cover with Swimming Cap

When I don't wear a swimming cap for cute purposes ..I wet hair and add pure cocoa butter from root to tip...protects hair and my hair is so so soft when I rinse and shampoo....There are different brands of after swim shampooo ..I always take a bottle with me....but at home I'll rinse with Apple Cider Vinegar to make sure all chlorine is removed

dandreiablue

This helps me as well. My daughter swam for 2 months everyday at camp and I didn't know that chlorine was so damaging! Now her hair is extremely dry, brittle and the texture has seems to have changed. She had it in cornrows for 2 weeks at a time and was swimming without a cap. It wasn't till August that I realized it was damaging her hair and we bought a swim cap. Now I dont know what to do. I am so distressed because I feel like I ruined her hair. We already cut it off down to 1 inch and started from scratch 01/07 because of too tight cornrows my girlfriend braided in her hair. It grew back within 1 year and now I have damaged it. I am so upset...
Dana