Dumb Question - Relaxer and Pool Water (Chlorine)

lizjoseph

So I have an engagement party pool party to go to tomorrow and my hair is in a full head weave. The thing is I just came back from Jamaica and my hair is not looking so cute. I feel like I need to just take the hair out and wash it well. (It itches and I was in the salt water and in the pool getting my hair wet during my trip. Plus I haven't been able to DC or moisterize it since I got it put in 3 weeks ago!) The other thing is that I need a relaxer as well.

Sooo...can I take my hair out, get a relaxer (either tonight or tomorrow) and get my hair wet in the pool by tomorrow afternoon? Will the chlorine do alot of damage or will I be ok as long as I wash it with cheleting shampoo (I have the ORS Aloe shampoo) and condition right after I get home?

I wouldnt suggest it. Chlorine is bad for your hair altogether plus it will strip all the moisture out which is not a good mix for a relaxer which strips as well. Can you hold out for a few more days?

Some advice i have heard about getting into pools or saltwater is to drench your hair in conditioner so that it is soaked up into the hair shaft. When you get in the pool, it wont absorb so much chlorinated water because your hair shaft is already at moisture capacity (think of a sponge).

I agree with the whole post below!

Just wanted to add that no only should you wait to relax because of the reasons listed below, but you may also want to let your hair breathe and rest a little bit after just taking out that weave.

I wouldnt suggest it. Chlorine is bad for your hair altogether plus it will strip all the moisture out which is not a good mix for a relaxer which strips as well. Can you hold out for a few more days?

Some advice i have heard about getting into pools or saltwater is to drench your hair in conditioner so that it is soaked up into the hair shaft. When you get in the pool, it wont absorb so much chlorinated water because your hair shaft is already at moisture capacity (think of a sponge).

Sigh... I know you guys are right...but I want to look nice at the pool party! My hair right now is kinda....:ohwell::look::perplexed:nono:

Why don't you just get cornrows or find another protective style to have while you are in the pool. Just a thought:ohwell:.

I think you can get the relaxer today and then get in the pool tomorrow but I agree that it would be best if you waited to do the relaxer next week.

Back