**PICS** & REVIEW: QOD OrganiQ Keratin Treatment on WL Natural Hair

Napp how did you hear about 'douar!' ? And is it cysteine based?

I found out about it on ebay. I am always roving for keratin treatments online under a certain price and for a certain size and i stumbled across this one and a few others. the newer and "no name" brands are usually cheaper than some of the more established brands and still have good formulations. i chose this one because it was huge and did not have formaldehyde.

the seller said it was categorized as a "keratin shock" product and has no special straightening ingredient. Here is what he said to me

Technically, the product is in the category of "keratin shock" because it contains no formaldehyde.
In frizzy hair relaxes the hair fiber and 70% in the first application, giving a softer effect in the afternoon.
In slightly wavy hair frizz or have much, it is remarkable the difference, as the hair will look with great naturally without artificial boards that produce other chemical treatments.
Heavily stained or chemistry, the result is better, as these are in the open cuticle, which facilitates optimal penetration.
These hairs are guaranteed a 80% satisfactory results in the first application.
If you search for a product without formaldehyde, these are the actual results they get.
The product contains white clay, shea butter, keratin and silicone emulsions that promote relaxation of the hair fiber, similar to that which occurs when the hair is wet.
At this time the product has no website

Here are the ingredients as given to me, when i get the bottle i will double check:
This product contains no formaldehyde, ingredients in its formula are:
WATER (AQUA). CETEARYL ALCOHOL. CETRIMONIUM CHOLIDE. PARFUM / FRAGRANCE. PERSEA GRATISIMA (AVOCADO) OIL. AMODIMETHICONE . CETEARETH-20. HYDROLIZED KERATIN. MINERAL OIL. POLYQUATERNIUM-7. BHT. PENTAERYTHRITYL TERT-DI-T-BUTYL. HYDROLIZED WHEAT PROTEIN

hth

Napp thanks, I'm really curious as to how you hair will turn out. Right now I'm doing research in preparation for using a non-formaldahyde treatment in the winter...if I can last that long with wigs and buns. we'll see, I'm transitioning so who knows how I'll feel 2 months from now. I do know that once I'm ready to put the wigs away I'll be taking the plunge with a treatment.

@Incognitus

I haven't done keratin since last August (due to damage from hair bleach) but now that my hair is back healthy I'm about to go back to keratin. Qod Organiq is still my fav go to product!

Dove56 Do you do anything to prep your hair the week or days before using QOD?

I have a few other questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

• How has your regimen changed after/because of bkt?
  • Is 2oz enough? They're selling 2oz keratin shot & 2oz shampoo for $45.
  • After getting a bkt, can I still use my steamer, DC, and sulfur mix?
  • I'm plagued with SSKs. Should I trim my hair before or after I do the bkt?
  • Is there an approved shampoo, conditioner, leave-in list anywhere? (I know no sulfates and salts, but I don't know how some are listed in ingredients lists)

Dove56 Do you do anything to prep your hair the week or days before using QOD?

I have a few other questions I'm hoping someone can answer:

• How has your regimen changed after/because of bkt?
  • Is 2oz enough? They're selling 2oz keratin shot & 2oz shampoo for $45.
  • After getting a bkt, can I still use my steamer, DC, and sulfur mix?
  • I'm plagued with SSKs. Should I trim my hair before or after I do the bkt?
  • Is there an approved shampoo, conditioner, leave-in list anywhere? (I know no sulfates and salts, but I don't know how some are listed in ingredients lists)

Incognitus

How has your regimen changed after/because of bkt?

When I did the BKT/Keratin before my damage last year from hair color/bleach, it simplified my regimen. I would wash, deep condition and a rollerset once a week then wrap throughout the week until the next wash.

My hair is a 3c mainly so the keratin/bkt mainly helped my hair dry faster during roller sets and it made my hair humidity resistant even in Texas and when I visited Orlando, FL in August.

Is 2oz enough? They're selling 2oz keratin shot & 2oz shampoo for $45.

Yes, in fact I just ordered a bottle and received it last week. You only need a very tiny amount it is extremely concentrated. The first time I did the treatment in Sept 2011 I used too much and it was difficult to blowdry and flatiron. I did the 2nd treatment 5 months later with a minimalist approach and had excellent results. :yep:

After getting a bkt, can I still use my steamer, DC, and sulfur mix

I'm not sure about the sulfur mix but the steamer and DC are just fine to use.

I'm plagued with SSKs. Should I trim my hair before or after I do the bkt?

Definitely do all of your trimming AFTER the treatment. Your hair will fall/hang slightly different so it best do it afterwards.

Is there an approved shampoo, conditioner, leave-in list anywhere

[You can use anything that's sodium chloride / sulfate free, no particular brand. I tried many different shampoos but they had to be sodium chloride /sulfate free. There are TONS of brands to chose from that you can purchase from high ends salons, ULta, Sally's or your local Walgreens / CVS.R] :yep:

I attached a photo of my hair with QOD Max Organiq. The straight ends were from formaldehyde based treatments I used before.

Attachments

• march20121rev_zps1f7b5438.jpg
    march20121rev_zps1f7b5438.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Napp thanks, I'm really curious as to how you hair will turn out. Right now I'm doing research in preparation for using a non-formaldahyde treatment in the winter...if I can last that long with wigs and buns. we'll see, I'm transitioning so who knows how I'll feel 2 months from now. I do know that once I'm ready to put the wigs away I'll be taking the plunge with a treatment.

im actually not sure when i will be doing the treatment. my hair is so short now i would like for it to get to a length where it starts getting annoying till i do my next keratin treatment.:lol: I will most likely just do a test section just to see how it works because this is the first time ive heard about "keratin shock" treatments.

Incognitus

I don't do anything special beforehand for my daughters' hair before hand. I trim afterwards.

Right now I have let their hair revert since it is summer and they are in the pool all the time.

I will redo in the fall.

So glad they finally got some new formulas for bkt. Here in brazil the formula in most smoothing and volume reduction products get your hair really straight and have almost the formula. Most contain cysteine but for some reason they took out the keratin. Stylist told me "the keratin will make ur hair break".. sigh but for me it was the opossite. The new stuff without the keratin leftmy hair weak after time. Like mhair never reverted back :-( oh well try and try again right. This product sounds great! Can't wait to try n find it ova here

Hair look drop dead amazing drool! Did you notice any changes in the weight and thinkness of the strands?

Qualitee I redid their hair for back to school a couple of weeks ago. They air dry and wear it curly most of the time and they have no heat damage on the ends.

grenadiancooliex3 No loss in volume. Their hair is still very thick and full while retaining all the length. I think the key is very little heat by air drying and not flat ironing.

Qualitee I redid their hair for back to school a couple of weeks ago. They air dry and wear it curly most of the time and they have no heat damage on the ends.

grenadiancooliex3 No loss in volume. Their hair is still very thick and full while retaining all the length. I think the key is very little heat by air drying and not flat ironing.

Don't you have to flat iron to make it straight or are you taking about wash and wear

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm seriously considering this treatment. I have fine strands but super thick natural hair. Will my strands be strong enough for this treatment?

This is so fascinating
Wonder how it is as a transitioning or stretching tool

I did my daughter's Keratin Treatment using the new QOD MAX OrganiQ Treatment. It is formaldehyde free and you can wash it out the same day.

31HXB5ZxdRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I ordered mine from www.Keratin4U.com

The liter bottle was about $200 - pricey but much cheaper than what it costs in the salon for her length of hair. The expiration date is 2/2013 so I can use it for the next 18 months on both daughters as well as on myself :grin:.

I shampooed beforehand with Neutrogena Anti-Residue Formula Shampoo and air dried

41FjDAXx1IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I applied the QOD MAX to her dry hair and combed it through. It sat on her hair for 15 minutes

Then I blowdried and flat ironed 2 passes @400 degrees.

After 30 minutes, I shampooed with Organix Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo and Conditioned with the matching conditioner.

318CbUtZcmL._AA300_.jpg

I air dried again and blow dried it. It was bone straight without needing any flat iron.

It is supposed to last for 4 months but I am very pleased with the results.

___________________________________:rosebud:

Natural/Relaxed: a gradual 6" cut til' perm was gone
Current Length: 2" past APL, could be BSL??? Won't be sure until December when I straighten do a length check
Goal Length: Thick WL, or maybe even Hip length
Oil of Choice: Coconut oil, jojoba oil and rosemary

This is so fascinating
Wonder how it is as a transitioning or stretching tool

sharifeh I'm using it solely for the purpose of transitioning and I love it. The issues I was having with porosity, excessive tangles, and breakage at the demarcation line have been rectified. At this point I like it so much I don't know if I'll stop using it once my transition is over.

caliscurls
Thanks! I wonder if I can find a salon that does it.
I wouldn't be confident enough to do it myself.
How far along are you in your transition? What type of hair do you have?

caliscurls
Thanks! I wonder if I can find a salon that does it.
I wouldn't be confident enough to do it myself.
How far along are you in your transition? What type of hair do you have?

sharifeh
As of this past Monday I'm 33 weeks post. My hair is mostly 4a, with 4b on the lower sides and a touch of 3c in the crown. Between coarse and fine, I'd say it's more on the fine side and dense.

Once you have it done the first time, either by yourself or someone else, I'm guessing you'll feel better about the application process. For me it's much easier than putting a relaxer on or doing a relaxer touchup. The first time I was really nervous so modified the application process quite a bit, this time I followed the instructions closer without issue. Deviations from instructions this time were
- blow dried using the tension method
- only did 2 passes with the flat iron at 380, once root to ends, second pass roots to about 3 inches from ends.

If I can find my original post I'll tag it for you

EDIT: Here's the link to how I applied it the first time http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=18640411&postcount=4178

Last edited:
i am really considering this--thank you all for the tips!

Dove56 do you like this better than DE?

In higher humidity I like QOD better, if you live in a state with lower humidity DE is fine. I personally will keep using QOD because it has more drastic results and it's a lot cheaper. :yep:

Let me know if you have any questions! I will help in any way that I can. :)

theNaturalWonders

i dont want to wait till spring :look:. i'm ordering this week.
i have a few ??'s...
appox how much would you say you're using per section and how large a section of hair?
any particular flat iron needed? i was planning on just using one of my Sedu's.
are you flat ironing in very small sections?

i just REALLY want frizz reduction, im not too concerned with curl pattern, i dont have a ton of curl as it is but i have extremely frizz prone hair...

I just did the treatment yesterday. I washed with neutrogena and then applied the treatment. I noticed my hair was a lot straighter after I blew dry. I only used 3 passes with the flat iron (Chi). I plan to wash it out tomorrow.

Dove56 thank you! I would love to do this treatment 2x a year-do you think I will experience breakage/excessive shedding if I don't redo the treatment every 12 weeks?

I plan to use the treatment to help me do silk wraps when I want to straighten my hair-I see you used rollers in the pic you posted. How did your hair come out? Did you blow dry after taking the rollers out? I don't want to use a blow dryer just a flat iron to smooth out

What products are you using to moisturize and DC with? I understand no sulfates and no proteins right?

Sooo many questions lol:drunk:

theNaturalWonders I plan on doing treatments on both daughters this week.

They use Organix Brazilian Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner and also Wen.

I have been doing my daughters' hair 2x a year and they do not have any excessive shedding or breakage.

I am an advocate of minimal heat and doing it more often would lead to more risk of heat damage and permanent loss of their curl pattern/"heat training."

Arlana I start by sectioning hair into 4 quarters. I go into a section and then do tiny mini sections.

How much you use depends on density and lenght of hair. One daughter has extremely thick hair so it takes more on her hair than my other daughter with longer but finer strands.

My one daughter is naturally a type 2 but she is prone to frizz. This minimizes the frizz. She wears her hair curly 99% of the time and it is much smoother now.

I have once tried ironing and not blowdrying and it didn't turn out as well.

I don't think that you have to use a special flat iron. I have a relatively inexpensive tourmaline one from Sally's that I have used from day one and it works fine.

Back