**PICS** & REVIEW: QOD OrganiQ Keratin Treatment on WL Natural Hair

Dove56

biancaelyse
ManeStreet

Thanks so much for the reviews ladies. My bottle of QOD came yesterday (smallest bottle I've ever seen). :lol: but I didn't want to cough up $200 without trying it out first. But like the directions said, a little goes a long way. They even suggest to add a little milk if you think you are running low.

It's official: I'M IN LOVE! :yep: I still have the treatment in. Since I'm about a 4b, I figured I'd go the entire 48 hours. Think I'm going to do my daughter's hair. The bottle supposedly contains 2 applications. I don't know though...might have to add milk. :look:

Thanks again, ladies! :grin:

It sure is a wee teeny little bottle lol.

Dove56

that's what throws me off. I have researched the oxoacetamide carbocysteine which is synonymous with glyoxyloyl carbocytsteine. Carbocysteine is basically harmless, but some aldehydes are VERY toxic and others are virtually harmless. This particular aldehyde behaves LIKE formaldehyde but is structurally a little different. I am making the assumption (forgive me, it's been a minute since I studied Chem) that "glyoxyloyl" is kinda like glyoxylic acid or glyoxal and these acid appear to be pretty harmless. My concern is when heat is applied, what does it decompose into? Like I said before, I wish these companies would just be straight forward, especially since there was such a scandal the first time. I'm still in the wait and see club.

Kurlee

This is the active ingredient in the Arosci as well. I've used the QOD Max Organiq and I didn't notice any smell whatsoever and I have very bad allergies(I'm allergic to the entire state of Texas apparently lol), plus eczema that can trigger horrible sinus headaches (I take allergy shots) if I come in contact with toxic fumes (even getting my nails done is a pain). This is the only treatment that hasn't bothered my allergies or given me a headache which is why I love it. I think the Arosci will perform just as well but the foam will be much easier to distribute IMO.

I *really* wish I was a chemist so I could fully understand what happens to the chemicals under extreme heat. I will say this though, my hair stylist (she's Dominican) used Coppola Keratin Infusion Replenisher on my hair on Monday and it looked like a fresh BKT. It's a styling cream you use after shampooing and conditioning (she used it to rollerset) and even in this humidity and me sweating my hair that hasn't been keratin treated stayed straight! So that may be something to try before you get a keratin treatment done. :yep:

Last edited:

Kurlee

Kurlee

This is the active ingredient in the Arosci as well. I've used the QOD Max Organiq and I didn't notice any smell whatsoever and I have very bad allergies(I'm allergic to the entire state of Texas apparently lol), plus eczema that can trigger horrible sinus headaches (I take allergy shots) if I come in contact with toxic fumes (even getting my nails done is a pain). This is the only treatment that hasn't bothered my allergies or given me a headache which is why I love it. I think the Arosci will perform just as well but the foam will be much easier to distribute IMO.

I *really* wish I was a chemist so I could fully understand what happens to the chemicals under extreme heat. I will say this though, my hair stylist (she's Dominican) used Coppola Keratin Infusion Replenisher on my hair on Monday and it looked like a fresh BKT. It's a styling cream you use after shampooing and conditioning (she used it to rollerset) and even in this humidity and me sweating my hair that hasn't been keratin treated stayed straight! So that may be something to try before you get a keratin treatment done. :yep:
Thanks girl, i will look into it. Basically when heat is applied to things they break down into the different things that make them up, but they can also combine to make other things sometimes.

biancaelyse

I hust wanted to add that 8 months after the 1st application, this still gets my vote. I find that for my kids, it wears off between 3 and 4 months, depending on how often they wash and their hair fully reverts.

I did a second treatment around Christmas/New years and it is practially gone.

I don't blowdry or flat iron in between treatments either. They either airdry or rollerset their hair when they wash.

Keep in mind that I believe that less heat is better so if you apply this treatment and use higher temperatures or more passes, you may have permananently straight hair, especially on the ends where the hair is usually most fragile and porous.

Last edited:

lexlioness

I applied the treatment yesterday. My hair was pretty well saturated in the stuff, enough to where it took me 2.5 hours to straighten it. I did probably about 10-15 passes on each section of my hair. The directions said I could wash it out after 20 mins but I decided to let it sit on my hair overnight. I'm gonna wash it out after work tonight, after I flat iron the whole thing one more time.

I'll post another update this week! Hoping for less frizz and looser curls would definitely be a bonus. I wanna be a wash n go girl :) I'm really hoping this helps with growing out too, my progress is constantly thwarted by SSK's and split ends. :nono:

Last edited:

lexlioness

OK so about 5 days after the treatment and my hair has been great! It didn't loosen the curl that much, but just enough to give me a little more length which was what I was after. I've also managed to have glorious SECOND DAY HAIR. This was unheard of for me a week ago, I was lucky to even get first day hair.

The only thing was, I had colored my hair the day before to a natural black. By the time I was flat ironing the treatment in, my hair had faded to a warm chocolate brown. Not a bad color by any means (natural black had been dyed over hicolor red). Just a warning to ladies who want to color before the treatment - you might lose the color. I might not have waited long enough.

I've washed my hair twice since the treatment. each time I got a little hint of the white chocolate smell, but it seems to be holding up great. I'm glad I did the treatment, because coloring my hair with the hicolor really made it porous and dry, as well as knotty and brittle. This treatment has basically restored my hair to the condition it was in before I colored, which makes me very happy. I will have to see what my hair is like once the treatment wears off though.

biancaelyse

OK so about 5 days after the treatment and my hair has been great! It didn't loosen the curl that much, but just enough to give me a little more length which was what I was after. I've also managed to have glorious SECOND DAY HAIR. This was unheard of for me a week ago, I was lucky to even get first day hair.

The only thing was, I had colored my hair the day before to a natural black. By the time I was flat ironing the treatment in, my hair had faded to a warm chocolate brown. Not a bad color by any means (natural black had been dyed over hicolor red). Just a warning to ladies who want to color before the treatment - you might lose the color. I might not have waited long enough.

I've washed my hair twice since the treatment. each time I got a little hint of the white chocolate smell, but it seems to be holding up great. I'm glad I did the treatment, because coloring my hair with the hicolor really made it porous and dry, as well as knotty and brittle. This treatment has basically restored my hair to the condition it was in before I colored, which makes me very happy. I will have to see what my hair is like once the treatment wears off though.

lexilioness The wait time between coloring and doing treatments is supposed to be 2 weeks.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your results and don't have any adverse effects from the multiple heat passes or hair colors.

nakialovesshoes

biancaelyse
There was an article I read about what the different temperature ranges does to hair & that really one shouldn't go past 350/360 degrees to avoid heat damage. In your opinion, could this treatment be done effectively at these temps or is it absolutely necessary to crank the iron up to the suggested 390 degrees on their website? TIA...

biancaelyse

@biancaelyse
There was an article I read about what the different temperature ranges does to hair & that really one shouldn't go past 350/360 degrees to avoid heat damage. In your opinion, could this treatment be done effectively at these temps or is it absolutely necessary to crank the iron up to the suggested 390 degrees on their website? TIA...

nakialovesshoes

As I've posted many times in this thread, I'm no advocate of heat. I think that 350 is an acceptable heat. The number of passes needed to fully straighten the hair depends on the natural texture and how bone straight you want to go. 1 or 2 passes are sufficient for my kids but a tighter curl might require more heat or more passes if you want to do more than just loosen the curl.

Hope this helps!!

Mocha5

Just wanted to give you an update:

1. I applied Organiq Max the end of March/1st of April. The product did what it said it would for about 3 maybe 3.5 months and I washed weekly with a sulfate free shampoo. My hair was straight with no frizz. I would blow dry and flat iron...2 passes. I was able to achieve very soft hair with tons of body.

2. 5 days a week I wear a WG so that I can apply growth product. I wash on the sixth day, deep condition (every other week), blow dry and flat iron with a heat protectant. It's possible that my hair didn't make the full 4 months because of all of the gel and mousse I use on WG days. Not sure. But I did begin to notice a huge difference between the keratin treated hair and my new growth. Not so noticeable with WG but very noticeable (at least to me) with blow dry and flat iron.

3. I've been pheening for another treatment for the last two weeks. So I go to Sally's to see if they have anything close. NOTHING! NADA! ZIP! I did an ingredient check. Left the store with my tail between my legs and ordered online. That was Tuesday evening, I came home today and it was in the mailbox! No tax. No shipping! Yay!

4. No shedding.

5. I did notice that some of my strands seemed to be fragile, maybe thinner is the word I'm looking for. Those were the less course areas. So when I apply this time I'll apply keratin lighter on those areas. And heavier on the course areas.

6. I think that about sums it up. I'm a happy camper. :)

biancaelyse

****Bumping*****

My kids swam all summer so I gave their hair a break; their hair has 100% reverted, no heat damage or straight ends.

I'm getting ready to give them another round for back to school.

ManeStreet

I bought the liter bottle so I might as well use it & get my $ worth. I'm planning to do the treatment in 2 weeks. It shouldnt take as long for me to do it this time since I know what to expect

biancaelyse

My only complaint about the product is the amount recommended per treatment.

According to the directions you should only need 15 ml per treatment, abouut 3 tsp or 1 tbsp. That must be for someone with short and/or fine hair. My kids have such long and thick hair that it takes easily 4 or 5 times that amount to really cover all of their hair.

It works really well but I will probably get between 10-15 applications from the liter, not the 40 treatments that they claim.

This is fine with me but I thought I'd put it out there.

It is still far less to pay roughly $15 per keratin treatment by doing it myself compared to what a salon would charge.

Last edited:

ManeStreet

biancaelyse said:
My only complaint about the product is the amount recommended per treatment.

According to the directions you should only need 15 ml per treatment, abouut 3 tsp or 1 tbsp. That must be for someone with short and/or fine hair. My kids have such long and thick hair that it takes easily 4 or 5 times that amount to really cover all of their hair.

It works really well but I will probably get between 10-15 applications from the liter, not the 40 treatments that they claim.

This is fine with me but I thought I'd put it out there.

It is still far less to pay roughly $15 per keratin treatment by doing it myself compared to what a salon would charge.

I have a question. I think I may be saturating the hair too much with the solurion. Its very filmy & difficult to blowdry for the first blowdry after I applied the solution. Its like its tangly & coated. Do u have tip for this?

Also did chlorine remove the treatment from your girls hair or did it still stay in even though they were swimming?

biancaelyse

I have a question. I think I may be saturating the hair too much with the solurion. Its very filmy & difficult to blowdry for the first blowdry after I applied the solution. Its like its tangly & coated. Do u have tip for this?

Also did chlorine remove the treatment from your girls hair or did it still stay in even though they were swimming?

ManeStreet I apply just enough that their hair feels lightly and very evenly coated but not saturated, no buildup on the scalp. I go through their hair with a fine tooth comb in each section and this removes the excess which I apply to the next section.

I would suggest that you apply it more lightly and in smaller sections, smoothing the hair with your fingers or a fine tooth comb to remove any excess.

The solution has pretty much worn off on both kids. I haven't applied it since Christmas and they have been washing their hair a lot with sulfate shampoo and swimming. Fine with me because I didn't wan't a product that would permanently alter their curl pattern.

Channy31

I have. I like the results. Its mild but still effective.

Have you heard of the design essentials one? the strengthening system. How do you feel that compares?

When you say mild.. like what were the results in comparison to natural hair?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Have you heard of the design essentials one? the strengthening system. How do you feel that compares?

When you say mild.. like what were the results in comparison to natural hair?

I have never tried it before so i cant really say. i have used another foam treatment and it didn't keep my hair very straight but it made my curls a little looser. I think you may want to go to a salon to get it done to get the best results but with the QOD you can get nice results at home.

when i say mild it wont change the curl pattern dramatically. it just makes the hair less frizzy and slightly more elongated. plus the hair will go back to normal after a period of non use (there is no new growth)

Channy31

I have never tried it before so i cant really say. i have used another foam treatment and it didn't keep my hair very straight but it made my curls a little looser. I think you may want to go to a salon to get it done to get the best results but with the QOD you can get nice results at home.

when i say mild it wont change the curl pattern dramatically. it just makes the hair less frizzy and slightly more elongated. plus the hair will go back to normal after a period of non use (there is no new growth)

Thanks for replying, hmmm.
The price is mostly what im interested in because its 150 for a litre bottle which is a few applications, vs 150 for one.
Also I have almost no issues with frizz or reversion. Hmmm.

Incognitus

Dove56 and all others: Any updates?

biancaelyse Did you prep your DD's hair before using QOD. I mean, like DCing the day or week before.....or a trim beforehand. Your posts have encouraged me to order the QOD Max Organiq and am trying to get my info together.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Incognitus

I have some extra QOD treatment if you want it. I don't think I will continue using this product because the effect is not strong enough for me. I think its a good intro keratin treatment but i am looking for something slightly more aggressive. i just bought a huge liter of a brazillian brand and i don't see myself using what I have left.

Dove56

Dove56 and all others: Any updates?

biancaelyse Did you prep your DD's hair before using QOD. I mean, like DCing the day or week before.....or a trim beforehand. Your posts have encouraged me to order the QOD Max Organiq and am trying to get my info together.

Incognitus

I haven't done keratin since last August (due to damage from hair bleach) but now that my hair is back healthy I'm about to go back to keratin. Qod Organiq is still my fav go to product!

NEWYORK20004

what brazilian brand did you get?

@Incognitus

I have some extra QOD treatment if you want it. I don't think I will continue using this product because the effect is not strong enough for me. I think its a good intro keratin treatment but i am looking for something slightly more aggressive. i just bought a huge liter of a brazillian brand and i don't see myself using what I have left.