Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum or Sabino Lok n Blok?

Paul Mitchel Skinny Serum vs. Sabino Lok n Blok

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amoreofcurls

Hey everyone!...

I wanna know which heat protectant/smoother do you think does the job better between the two?

I love love love the skinny serum,I love how shiny and bouncy my hair is with it, but since I have some samples of Sabino,that I just might use it when I straighten in December...

Now I understand that sabino cant be used with other products,but do you think using a lil bit of the skinny serum underneath for quick blow drying underneath will counteract the lok n blok? Or does the Sabino give quicker blow dying,and flowy hair as well?

Also if you used both, what were the pro's and cons of each of them?

Last edited:

glamazon386

I don't think Paul Mitchell is a heat protectant. I have it and I don't recall the bottle saying that. I don't recall Sabino being a heat protectant either. I think it just blocks humidity. I will say that I liked it better than Sabino when it was used on my hair at the shop. I can never get it to work right at home. Both products weighed my hair down though. I try to steer clear of serums for this reason. They worked on my relaxed hair but I don't like them on my natural hair.

glamazon386

I would consider something that actually says Heat Protectant on the bottle to be a heat protectant. Sometimes they'll say thermal protection or something like that. A heat protectant was used on my hair before it was blowdried in the shop but I don't remember what it was. I haven't had my hair straightened at the salon in well over a year and it's been probably 2 years since I've used Sabino. After that one bottle I purchased was gone I never bought it again I never really liked it. If I need to use a serum I will use John Frieda's Frizz Ease serum. I can buy it in the grocery store and it's only about $7. In my siggy pic that's all I used on my hair before I blowdried and flat ironed it. It stayed straight in July heat.

I usually use Nexxus Heat Protexx at home. I've also used the Fantasia serum and spray before (the pink bottle), John Freida's Frizz Ease Serum (the orange bottle is a heat protectant) and the In the Zone heat protectant from Sallys. I've seen Redken Heat Glide mentioned here on the board but I've never tried it. I know Kera Care has a silken seal product that's supposed to be for that purpose. Mizani has a thermasmooth line that's supposed to act as a heat protectant as well.

I prefer spray on heat protectants over serums. I try to stay away from serums because for some reason my hair doesn't get as straight when I use them. It's like they're blocking the heat out and keeping my hair from straightening all the way or something. When my stylist tried to use the Paul Mitchell serum on my hair in the salon it did the same thing. He was able to get it straight and it looked fine but it was definitely thicker than when he straightened it without using the serum.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Sabino himself said that the lok and blok is a heat protectant and it is known that cones are the best heat protectants and lok and blok is nothing but 4 cones. That being said, I have the original Moisture Block (which I still havent used) and I've never used Paul Mitchell so I can't compare them. But I remember when I asked about it in a thread here and Vic (I think thats his name) said that some products will not interact well with the product which is why they say to use it by itself. Maybe you should just do a small portion of your hair and see how it turns out.

frida1980

I have 7 serums. Believe me, none of them are created equal. Currently, I have a pressing regimen that translated into very silky hair straight hair. It does a good job at protecting my hair from the heat. But then again, I do everything I can to protect my hair. Meaning a spray heat protectant, Sabino, and Chi when it's dry, and Matrix sleek look for my ends, kitchen, and edges. And finally grape seed oil for the shine. Amazingly, this is never weighed down or sticky.

A couple of weeks ago, I swapped Sabino for the Paul Serum and I was left with frizzy unsealed hair. It was like it couldn't block out the moisture and puffed up. I was not happy.

Stick with Loc and Block. It may be expensive, but it does a decent job. Paul... is one of those $17 purchases I regret, but I can't throw out because I paid $17.

frida1980

I have two three that I might switch up. 1. Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer + Chi Iron Guard or Isoplus Hot Hot Hot Plow dryer Protection. The Isoplus is actually full of natural ingredient and does make my hair as stiff.
It's an expensive combo, but the look is amazing.

However, your hair is just gorgeous as is. Just saying...

Allandra

I've used both of these products, and I like both. However, I'm natural, and if I don't want my hair to go poof once it's been flat ironed, I use my Sabino MB (FIRST) prior to blow drying, then I flat iron. As each day goes by after that, I will add a couple of drops of serum (Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum or whatever serum), rub it between my hands, and rub it in my hair. So, for me, the Sabino MB keeps my hair from reverting, and the Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum keeps my hair smooth, soft and silky each day after that. Hope that wasn't too confusing. :) Cones product the hair from heat damage. I have the original Sabino MB, not the second one that came out.

Last edited:

Amoreofcurls

I have two three that I might switch up. 1. Aphogee Keratin & Green Tea Restructurizer + Chi Iron Guard or Isoplus Hot Hot Hot Plow dryer Protection. The Isoplus is actually full of natural ingredient and does make my hair as stiff.
It's an expensive combo, but the look is amazing.

However, your hair is just gorgeous as is. Just saying...

I definataly have a bottle of Chi iron gaurd!! yay thank you so much for the info...

and thanx for the compliment! I only straighten my hair once a year, and I know it has gotten thick, so I wanna make sure my hair is sleek when I do this...

I've used both of these products, and I like both. However, I'm natural, and if I don't want my hair to go poof once it's been flat ironed, I use my Sabino MB (FIRST) prior to blow drying, then I flat iron. As each day goes by after that, I will add a couple of drops of serum (Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum or whatever serum), rub it between my hands, and rub it in my hair. So, for me, the Sabino MB keeps my hair from reverting, and the Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum keeps my hair smooth, soft and silky each day after that. Hope that wasn't too confusing. :) Cones product the hair from heat damage. I have the original Sabino MB, not the second one that came out.

I think this is what I will be doing as well...

Ya'll got me so anxious to straighten, but I gotta wait about two months...