Paging All Shea Butter Users

Islandgirl

What brand of shea butter do you use and where do you purchase it from? Also what are your results? Does it moisturize thick dry hair well?

I have very thick dry hair, the only product that I have found to be consistently moisturizing was Clairol Vitapointe, but I have always heard good things about Shea Butter and I want to try something new.

Kaela

I love shea butter!

I have been using the NOW Foods brand, I bought it online from vitaminlife. I use it on damp hair (either right after washing or after spritzing with water). I always rub it between my hands to melt it, and then apply to my ends only. I have fine hair, it would be too heavy for me to use all over. My results soft ends that don't split like they used to. I have dry hair, though, and this is the only product that I use on my hair that gives me consistent results. I just love it.

Sometimes I use it on my skin as well, but it can be heavy so it would only be before going to bed.

B

ballet_bun

I purchased a brand called NOW from the healthfood store. I use it when I have a lot of new growth. I apply it then use the curling iron to staighten the edges. It usually ends up looking as smooth as the relaxed hair. I used it on all of my hair before ... one girl even asked if I just got a relaxer. This was a while ago though.

Ballet Bun ...

B

ballet_bun

Kaela ...

Have you tried Dark & Lovely's Dry Hair Healer? It has shea butter in it. When you use this conitioner with heat, it works marvelously. I guess adding shea butter to other conditioners MIGHT do the same thing.

Ballet Bun ...

Islandgirl

Thanks for the responses kaela and ballet bun.

Now I know there are more shea butter users on the board, come on, let me know the brand that you are using and where you got it from!!! (pretty please)

Trinette

I have bought Shea butter from www.fromnaturewithlove.com ; they have refined shea butter. It melts very well in your palms with a kind of cooling sensation, and I liked it. If you decide to melt it, it has to be done slowly over 20 minutes low heat or it will crystallize and turn gritty.

I just got some from www.natureswildchild.com just yesterday, and I haven't used it yet. It's supposed to be less refined and more moisturizing or something. I'll keep you posted, but I haven't finished the 1st one yet.

CICI24

Kemi shea butter pomade was good and very moisturizing. I could apply it to my hair and it would last almost a whole week.

ms_kenesha

Mine came from Cedarvale and it melts really well, I haven't used some on my hair solo in a while. I just might do that tonight.

SingingStar12

I just started to use a shea butter on my scalp and it's pretty good. It's called SheaMoisture "the natural hair and body rejuvenator" Shea Butter Body Creme from www.sheamoisture.com. The label says "sheamoisture's Body Creme is an ultra-skin softening and rehydrating creme specially formulated with 100% Shea Butter, Vitamins A, E, & F, Aloe Vera, Jojoba Oil, and other natural emollients. This non-greasy creme absorbs quickly, softening the skin and eliminating dryness without clogging pores." I use it on my scalp and it works well. It tingles when you first put it on your scalp because it has vitamin F (that is biotin, right?). It treats eczema and psoriasis also. It has worked well for me.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
I just started to use a shea butter on my scalp and it's pretty good. It's called SheaMoisture "the natural hair and body rejuvenator" Shea Butter Body Creme from www.sheamoisture.com. The label says "sheamoisture's Body Creme is an ultra-skin softening and rehydrating creme specially formulated with 100% Shea Butter, Vitamins A, E, & F, Aloe Vera, Jojoba Oil, and other natural emollients. This non-greasy creme absorbs quickly, softening the skin and eliminating dryness without clogging pores." I use it on my scalp and it works well. It tingles when you first put it on your scalp because it has vitamin F (that is biotin, right?). It treats eczema and psoriasis also. It has worked well for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've used Sheamoisture before on my hair and I loved it, but it's a bit expenisve for my taste.

SingingStar12

My cousin gave it to us for a gift... I know it probably costs a lot (that's another reason why I use so little), but it works. It also smells really good!

northernbelle

Shea Butter also has wonderful healing properties for the skin.

I purchased on -line about a month ago Shea Butter from Karite Gold for my mother. She developed rashes last fall from medication she took. She says it appears to be working really well.

As this is a shea butter made specifically for the skin, I cannot say what it would do for hair.

northernbelle

ComfortablyNumb

I used the Shea Butter Pomade before and I liked the smell and the way my hair felt when it was dry but while my hair was still wet, it was completely white on my head so I couldn't go anywhere for a while.

Islandgirl

Ladies, i thank you all for your replies. i am going to look into the different brands that you use. Again thanks for replying to the thread.

DelightfulFlame

The absolutely BEST shea butter of all time is at www.nassab.com. It is creamy, with a whipped consistency. It smells great too.

The absolute worst was by a company called NOW. It is sold in many health food stores. It is gritty and of very poor quality.

longhairgoal

I LOVE Wondergro shea butter. It's less than $4.00, and Wal mart sometimes has it, or I get it from Sally's. (But it's always more expensive at Sally's, but still less than $4.00). It contains shea butter and fragrance and that's it. It has a nice smell and texture, and it is my "Miracle product" because it's so light, and it makes my hair shiny and conditioned. It comes in a little jar, and liquifies if you rub it in the palms of your hands before you apply it to your hair. (It's really hard when it's in the jar.)