Shea Butter: Now or Palmer's?

Chimma

Shea Butter: Now or Palmer\'s?

I couldn't take not having shea butter after it seemed like every single natural person recommended it to be. So I drove all around town and got some.

But which is better shea butter users? Which seal should I break?
Palmer's Shea Butter Formula with Vitamin E

OR

Now 100% Pure Shea Butter?

And how do you use shea butter anyways? Must I dampen my hair to make it work best? Do I need to heat it?

pookeylou

Re: Shea Butter: Now or Palmer\'s?

Haaaaaaaaaaa!!! I knew you would go get some...I am telling you that stuff is HEAVEN...

I have BOTH of the brands you have....Palmers smells better...but NOW...is very nice and no added stuff to it...use that for your hair...

I heated mine up for a few seconds in the microwave...just to get it the consistancy of hairgrease...and then when I twist my hair...I add a touch to each twist...it melts as soon as you rub it in...the next morning...your hair will be softer than a newborn babies hair...

I have also condition washed my hiar...sectioned it...put a small amount of shea butter in the palm of my hand...rubbed it together until it melted and then rubbed it into each section...then finger comb out the fro...nice coils...great shine...soft, soft hair.

Since I do a bantu knot twist out...each twist comes out curly and coily...looking very close to my natural texture...I love, Love, LOVE IT...

Let us know how you like it.

dorothy

I know how you feel, sometimes I think I'm the only natural who is not in on this "shea butter" phenomena. Well that's it, I'm hopping on the "shea" train. I have done a little research and I think I'm going to go with this company.

http://store.africansheabuttercompany.com/sheabutterjars.html

I like the fact that they have different "scents". I'm definately going with the "amaretto". Other ladies seem to like

1. Nasabb
2. Wondergro
3. ORS Shea Butter
4. At One With Nature

There's really a lot to chose from. But I must warn you, do your research! I think it would be best to use it on damp hair.
good luck!

Chimma

Thanks, pookeylou. I just tried the Now's shea butter. Good stuff! At first it was kind of weird and grainy, but then I heated it until it turned into a clear oil and I rubbed it on my hair and combed through. It feels so soft and moisturized and even easier to comb when dry. Just what I was missing! I think I put a little too much on though.

Come on, dorothy, join our bandwagon! You can't resist!

Peachtree

I'm not natural (yet
)... pookeylou, ur making me wanna run out & get the Now butter

soulchild

DelightfulFlame, I really like your new product section and your little girl's styles. Very cute!

B

ballet_bun

[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
You will really be spoiled if you ever try nasabb's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have some of nasabb shea butter waiting for me at home. In the past I have used NOW. However, I'd like to try Palmers. I'm a sucker for anything that smells good.

I usually soften mine and use on my new growth, or I soften it and apply it all over and use the curling iron to straighten it. You can try adding some to your conditioners and then sitting under the dryer. I sware by this stuff.

Ballet Bun ...

ChasingBliss

I think the pure shea butter straight from the nut is best. I get mine from the African stores. They litterally pull out the nut which looks like a giant acorn and scoop about $10 worth out for me. I love it love it love it. It smells kind of nutty but it's worth it. I have a big chunk right now in a plastic bag. I scoop some out and heat it up in the microwave and mix it with olive oil. After surging, I seal with this mix.

dorothy

CHIMMA!
Why do you guys do this to me? I've bought 3 new products this week alone. Okay fine! I give in. I can no longer resist!

Karonica

I have Palmer's, but I only use it on my face. I've tried using it on my hair, but it doesn't do much. Maybe I was using it wrong or something.

Toni

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I have Palmer's, but I only use it on my face. I've tried using it on my hair, but it doesn't do much. Maybe I was using it wrong or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried Jasons Shea butter. I like it very much. Shea butter creates a protective but breathable layer on skin and hair, so the trick is add moisture and seal w/ shea butter. Hope this helps.