ORS Lye Relaxer my hair loved it.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Miz Jackson said:
Bumping....has anyone else tried this who has used ORS no-lye? What were the results?

Bumping as well. I wanna know. I used ORS No-Lye but I'm tired of having dull, dry hair.

I want to know who has switched from No-Lye to Lye, particularly those with fine hair.

prettywhitty

Serenity_Peace said:
Bumping as well. I wanna know. I used ORS No-Lye but I'm tired of having dull, dry hair.

I want to know who has switched from No-Lye to Lye, particularly those with fine hair.

Ok so I made the switch. I tried the Lye last weekend and it did a fabulous job. I used the normal formula. My hair is fine and thick at the same time. Try it out!

divinefavor

I think I may give the ORS lye a try. I've been using the no lye and I do love it. But, I also experience that dull look as well. I don't think the ORS lye will be as strong as some of the other lye relaxers. So, I'm thinking the ORS lye might be ok for us fine haired ladies. I just hope it doesn't burn, I have sensititve scalp that burns pretty easily.

chayil0427

Bumping this...I didn't know they made lye...my hair did not like the regular ORS No Lye at all, but this is interesting.

Chayil

Lissa0821

I have to admit you ladies reviews about ORS lye relaxer proved to be on point for me. I gave myself a touchup yesterday with the Regular strenght which I mixed two tablespoons of EVOO and my hair turned out great. I have fine hair and for the first time in years, I actually had body and bonuce with a fresh perm. I usually have flat lifeless hair for at least two weeks. It burned a little in two different spots but for the most part my hair is straight. This was also the first time I have used a lye perm in over 4 years and the first timed I have ever stretched for 10 weeks. I could definetly tell the difference of my hair texture as I applied the relaxer and did a pretty good job if I do say so myself. Thanks again ladies for your reviews and words of encouragement, my hair is longer than it has been in over 20+ years.

cocoa32

bumping

Anyone use the ORS Lye Extra strength? I have coarse hair and usually use a regular strength relaxer. I was reading that the normal is pretty mild and wondering if I should go ahead and try the extra-strength.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Serenity_Peace said:

Update: I relaxed with ORS Lye and used all ORS products and my hair is responding very well. The only setback is that my hair is kinda limp. Next time I will texlax rather than process at the recommended time. ;)

beana

you ladies are making me want to try this relaxer out sooo bad!!!! I just bought a 4lb tub of design essentials, but if that doesn't work I'm definitely going to give this a try.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
beana said:
you ladies are making me want to try this relaxer out sooo bad!!!! I just bought a 4lb tub of design essentials, but if that doesn't work I'm definitely going to give this a try.

DE is very expensive. Normally I would never suggest a relaxer, but I will violate my own rule and suggest that you try ORS Lye. It really did do a good job on my fine hair. I did add a couple of tablespoons of EVOO and 1 tablespoon of Almond Oil and I really believe that it made the difference in a good way. I just have to remember not to add a lot of product to my hair, else it becomes limp and thin-looking.

MzRhonda

Retouch with ORS lye regular strength last night (2nd time using it) it still gets a :up: I am beginning to like the replenishing pack more and more it took a while to grow on me...it ahd nice slip and I left it on for about 1 hour no tangles and my hair was soft. I also used the Olive Oil wrap set/mousse wrapped my hair and let it dry overnight - nice soft bouncy hair with body.

motherx2esq

I love ORS. It is the only relaxer I use. Why did I see the BIG bottle of Deep Conditioning at a BS by my grandmother's today. I need to go back and buy it! I'm suck a PJ but I know I will use this up!

RubyWoo

I relaxed with ORS Regular Lye last week and had great results. The results were silky hair with body! I love it. I plan to stick with this relaxer for awhile. I had minimal burning and I was relaxed within 15 min! Also, my hair felt strong and healthy after all was said and done.*two thumbs up*

Edie

InnerSoul said:
my next relaxer will be ORS no-lye. No-lye works for me because I don't want my hair too straight and it makes my hair feel thicker than when I used to use lye. this is JMO as well:)

Do No Lye Relaxers make your hair drier but straighter than Lye? Or is it that lye relaxer keep your hair more moist but does not get your hair as straight as no lye. And does lye relaxer make your hair fair feel thinner than no lye relaxers?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Edie said:
Do No Lye Relaxers make your hair drier but straighter than Lye? Or is it that lye relaxer keep your hair more moist but does not get your hair as straight as no lye. And does lye relaxer make your hair fair feel thinner than no lye relaxers?

I've used No-Lye all my life, and I tried ORS Lye for the first time last week.

Here is a comparison:

ORS No-Lye Pros and Cons:

Pros: Leaves hair bouncy and with body, is not harsh on scalp, doesn't make hair limp or lifeless.
Cons: After a few weeks post-relaxer hair becomes excessively dry and prone to breakage, needs more moisture and balance between moisture and protein to combat both dryness and breakage.

ORS Lye Pros and Cons:

Pros: Straightens hair very well. Helps to maintain moisture balance. Can possibly aid in stretching since hair is straight. No breakage, fairly little shedding. Doesn't cause calcium build-up which is bad for fine/thin hair.
Cons: Makes hair appear finer/thiner after relaxer, though my hair is getting back to its fullness only a week post-relaxer; can cause scalp burns but I added EVOO/Almond oil and experienced NO burning. Some people say that lye sometimes leaves the hair underprocessed but this didn't happen to me. It actually made my hair too straight, which I don't want...

Based on this evaluation for my hair, I have decided that I prefer ORS Lye, even as a fine-haired lady. I have relatively little shedding and no breakage. I think that I should be able to stretch this relaxer for my normal 4 months or longer because I am not underprocessed.

Edie

Serenity_Peace said:

Here is a comparison:

Pros: Leaves hair bouncy and with body, is not harsh on scalp, doesn't make hair limp or lifeless.
Cons: After a few weeks post-relaxer hair becomes excessively dry and prone to breakage, needs more moisture and balance between moisture and protein to combat both dryness and breakage.

ORS Lye Pros and Cons:

Pros: Straightens hair very well. Helps to maintain moisture balance. Can possibly aid in stretching since hair is straight. No breakage, fairly little shedding. Doesn't cause calcium build-up which is bad for fine/thin hair.
Cons: Makes hair appear finer/thiner after relaxer, though my hair is getting back to its fullness only a week post-relaxer; can cause scalp burns but I added EVOO/Almond oil and experienced NO burning. Some people say that lye sometimes leaves the hair underprocessed but this didn't happen to me. It actually made my hair too straight, which I don't want...

Based on this evaluation for my hair, I have decided that I prefer ORS Lye, even as a fine-haired lady. I have relatively little shedding and no breakage. I think that I should be able to stretch this relaxer for my normal 4 months or longer because I am not underprocessed.

With the lye, why did it make your hair too straight? Did you leave it on the recommended time or longer?

Did you have limp hair with the lye or did your body return after a week?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Edie said:
With the lye, why did it make your hair too straight? Did you leave it on the recommended time or longer?

Did you have limp hair with the lye or did your body return after a week?

I used the ORS Lye mild for fine, medium hair. I added 2 tbls of EVOO and 1 tbls of almond oil. And still, as soon as I applied the relaxer, my hair immediately began to straighten. It took me about 7 minutes to apply throughout. I left it on for about 12 minutes total. The recommended time for fine/medium hair is 15-20 minutes. I rinsed out before that.

I did have limp, lifeless hair after relaxing with lye, but I washed last night and my hair looks a lot fuller now. So it took 2 washes to get it back to it's fullness and body.

Ladylynn

Does anyone know where I can find the lye version of this relaxer in the MD/DC area- prefably anywhere from Oxon Hill to Landover?

divinefavor

Serenity_Peace said:

Here is a comparison:

ORS Lye Pros and Cons:

I have fine/thin hair as well! Girl, you are making me want to try this for my next touch-up (Sept/Oct). I'm so afraid though that the lye will jack my hair up. I've been using ORS no-lye for a long time. Although, I'm thinking that adding EVOO as you had done may make it less damaging.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
divinefavor said:
I have fine/thin hair as well! Girl, you are making me want to try this for my next touch-up (Sept/Oct). I'm so afraid though that the lye will jack my hair up. I've been using ORS no-lye for a long time. Although, I'm thinking that adding EVOO as you had done may make it less damaging.

I really think you'll be fine. Your hair doesn't look as fine as mine and I had absolutely no problems: no burning, no irritation. I think adding the EVOO and Almond oil (or any oils you want), also helped tremendously. Since you're waiting 'til Sept/Oct to relax, I'll be sure to keep you posted on how things go. I won't relax until October anyways. ;)

seymone

I really liked the ORS lye on regular... It gave my hair shine and bounce.. Next time I think I will add some EVOO. I have used Mizani fine/color treated and the ORS lye is much better IMO.

MzRhonda

I've used lye for several years and had some burning with most of the ones I used. I switched to ORS lye just recently NO BURNING at all!!!!!!!

I prefer lye over no lye because no lye left my hair dry and dull and shedding.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
MzRhonda said:
I've used lye for several years and had some burning with most of the ones I used. I switched to ORS lye just recently NO BURNING at all!!!!!!!

I prefer lye over no lye because no lye left my hair dry and dull and shedding.

ITA! :yep::yep:

divinefavor

Serenity_Peace said:
I really think you'll be fine. Your hair doesn't look as fine as mine and I had absolutely no problems: no burning, no irritation. I think adding the EVOO and Almond oil (or any oils you want), also helped tremendously. Since you're waiting 'til Sept/Oct to relax, I'll be sure to keep you posted on how things go. I won't relax until October anyways. ;)

That's just it, my hair used to be even more fine than it is now. I've worked hard to get it to look healthy and to appear a little thicker. So, I don't want to derail my progress. I used lye about 6-7 years ago and don't remember any ill effects aside from burning the heck out of my scalp. :lol: I may give it a try.

Yes, definitely keep me posted. Thanks so much!

KathyMay

Bumping for BSS that sell the ORS lye in the DC/PG Metro. Thanks.

Ladylynn said:
Does anyone know where I can find the lye version of this relaxer in the MD/DC area- prefably anywhere from Oxon Hill to Landover?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
KathyMay said:
Bumping for BSS that sell the ORS lye in the DC/PG Metro. Thanks.

What area/neighborhood do you live in? Try most Asian BSS's. They have the relaxer, neutralizer, shampoo, conditioner, mayonaise, all the ORS products that you'll need. ;)

KathyMay

Serenity_Peace said:
What area/neighborhood do you live in? Try most Asian BSS's. They have the relaxer, neutralizer, shampoo, conditioner, mayonaise, all the ORS products that you'll need. ;)

I am in the DC Metro Area I will try my Sally's first before going to the Asian owned stores.