Oprah & Tyler Guests at Lakewood Service

Iwanthealthyhair67

definitely right about it....

Well, I know it's your opinion but you said it like it was the 11th commandment :lol:! Question: is it something that people are requested by the pastor to do in your church? If so, then I'd agree. But we're not all cut from the same. Yes, you did say it.:lol: Now, before you misunderstand...I'm asking you if you think they are lukewarm.

Iwanthealthyhair67

I'd much rather keep them than write them (the commandments that is)

it's requested at my church, we prefer the hands on experience papers rustling and all... a small act of obedience that is beneficial to all..

At my church we use the bible a lot so an overhead projector will not work for us, I still stay overhead projectors can foster laziness and may equate to being lukewarm for some...

Why would I misunderstand after all you come with smiley faces...

Well, I know it's your opinion but you said it like it was the 11th commandment :lol:! Question: is it something that people are requested by the pastor to do in your church? If so, then I'd agree. But we're not all cut from the same. Yes, you did say it.:lol: Now, before you misunderstand...I'm asking you if you think they are lukewarm.

cherryhair123

I like Joel's ministry it has it's place it's been a source of inspiration to build me and my family up and get us through a lot of hard times-aren't we suppose to be careful about how we speak about church leaders-we shouldn't be judging

Guitarhero

We have missalettes containing the scripture for the masses..daily and weekend as well as holy days. They are kept in the church and some people have their own. So, whether there is an overhead or not (for the music or even some Coptic have the scriptures), the liturgy is contained within the missal and you follow along to read and pray that way with the exception mentioned. That's why I was wondering.. I mean, part of the worship is hearing the word and then the homily, so you're right about listening/hearing/reading when I think about it...people are called to celebrate in thanksgiving/participation. It's just that some of us don't have to bring a bible, it's in the church at our fingertips. I don't think that people who don't carry a bible daily or one to church are any less spiritual, though.:look: ...for the general discussion.

Allow me to explain further and this has nothing to do with anyone personally but just something coming to mind regarding this topic: I knew someone who said she judges a person's spirituality by the amount of red notes written in between the lines and margin of their bible. :look::look: Some people would not dare write in a bible as they would consider a sign of horrible disrespect. It's all about how we view things but that it could also erroneously charge another.

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
I feel like a dinosaur because I am one of the few people in the congregation that's still toting my bible to church, in fact the pastor is using his iPad and

the other 2 ladies who still bring their's are at least in their seventies.

setenta ???? :lol::lol::lol:

I bow my head in shame... :blush3: I need to keep up. :lol:

Shimmie

Staff member
I like Joel's ministry it has it's place it's been a source of inspiration to build me and my family up and get us through a lot of hard times-aren't we suppose to be careful about how we speak about church leaders-we shouldn't be judging

I agree Cherry Hair, I like his Ministry as well. :yep: Many of us do. I agree we are to be very careful.

What confuses many in the 'Body' is when Church Leaders have a chance to speak the Truth about our Faith and the Lord Jesus Christ....

Cherry, they literally wimp out. They back peddle. They sit as if there is no value in the knowledge of Jesus Christ in comparison to what the world has in their god, the god of this world, satan.

Again, I totally agree with you, Cherry, I agree. :giveheart:

Whenever I watch Ministers such as Pastor Joel and Victoria and even Bishop Jakes, they become limp and yielding to those like Larry King and Oprah. All of our 'principles' go out the window and smash to the ground like Humpty Dumpty. Whatever happen to our Kings who rode upon the strong horses of Christian values.

As these Ministers are interviewed they surrender their power as if they never had it at all. Larry and Oprah are the pythons who mesmerize and hypnotise, and draw them in to deny the Truth of what Christian values the Body of Christ is supposed to stand for.

I'm praying that Pastor Joel and Victoria are standing firm in their interview with Oprah. It's heartbreaking to the Body of Christ to see Jesus 'watered' down and pushed into 'fade' mode when these Ministers are in the spotlight.

Larry and Oprah aren't seeking to know Jesus in His total truth, they are prepared to stand for their principles and will dare anyone to oppose them or try to make them feel like an idiot. They are indeed setting popular Ministers up to show their weakness, by luring them to 'fail' in standing strong upon the Gospel of Jesus Christ, our Lord.

Our children are being subjected this. A world where Men of God are ashamed of Jesus. :nono:

For you, Cherry... :bighug:

nathansgirl1908

Is this for publicity or the edification of the Body of Christ? I think I know the answer :look:

Or maybe they are just attending a service.

Even though I like what Joel has to say, I've never been convinced that he truly had much substance. I have two of his books and he essentially says the same thing over and over.

Hs church is packed because he's soothing. He's kind of an extreme, like John Hagee who is all about fire and damnation.

nathansgirl1908

Tyler Perry has even OPENLY admitted to the act of fornication...... im done....for now

I don't get your point with this statement. Everyone has sinned at some point. What was the context of his statement?

And why are so many people ripping Oprah a new one? To this day I have yet to see or hear of anything that says Oprah is not Christian and does not know God. She has her flaws but so does every single person in this thread. It seems like some assume that she is not of God because she's rich. But I would dare say this woman has done more to financially assist God's children than some of the people dragging her through the mud.

nathansgirl1908

You're right. I've always been taught this even though I sometimes catch myself saying not so nice things about some church leaders.

Iwanthealthyhair67

may I ask you a question, how many ways, paths, roads are there to God?

I don't get your point with this statement. Everyone has sinned at some point. What was the context of his statement?

And why are so many people ripping Oprah a new one? To this day I have yet to see or hear of anything that says Oprah is not Christian and does not know God. She has her flaws but so does every single person in this thread. It seems like some assume that she is not of God because she's rich. But I would dare say this woman has done more to financially assist God's children than some of the people dragging her through the mud.

Guitarhero

Or maybe they are just attending a service.

Even though I like what Joel has to say, I've never been convinced that he truly had much substance. I have two of his books and he essentially says the same thing over and over.

Hs church is packed because he's soothing. He's kind of an extreme, like John Hagee who is all about fire and damnation.

I just busted out laughing! :lachen:

Shimmie

Larry and Oprah aren't seeking to know Jesus in His total truth, they are prepared to stand for their principles and will dare anyone to oppose them or try to make them feel like an idiot.

Well, Larry's Jewish so anyone believing in a "dead messiah" is definitely going to be ridiculous to him. That's not surprising to me. But when are the Osteen's going to be interviewed by Oprah? I thought she was just a guest. And don't get me on Tyler Perry...I have various reasons not to like him lol. He's so preachy to women to find a good man in the most unlikely places (read: not a millionaire, but a janitaire lol) but he says that he cannot be monogamous. Then again, his using top models as his beard...come out already. dang!

Last edited:
When celebrities and hollywood millionaires come sitting in your church smiling, its time to find a new church.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

Shimmie

Staff member
But when are the Osteen's going to be interviewed by Oprah? I thought she was just a guest.

It's here in the article that was posted in the first post of this thread...

Oprah Winfrey created a buzz Sunday in Houston with a surprise appearance at the 11 a.m. service at Lakewood Church.

Oprah is in town interviewing Pastor Joel Osteen as a part of her new series Oprah's Next Chapter premiering in January on OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network.

The show will feature conversations with real people, newsmakers and celebrities.

Twinspired

I don't understand what the big deal is? Celebrities shouldn't attend church?

I'm not a huge fan of Joel Osteen. I think he is more of a motivational speaker, but I still enjoy his messages at times. Why can't O & T?

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

nathansgirl1908

When celebrities and hollywood millionaires come sitting in your church smiling, its time to find a new church.

I can't even begin to understand this logic. Celebrities and hollywood millionaires can know the word too. In fact, TD Jakes is a Hollywood millionaire.

Guitarhero

Bill and Chelsea Clinton have visited...as well as other famous individuals. It's like famous people who go and visit the Vatican during Christmas and Holy Week who end up being a dot in a sea of many. Shrugs.

It's here in the article that was posted in the first post of this thread...

I skimmed in the middle of it...:look:...should have read all of it. Waiting for January only to miss it because I never watch Oprah and will forget? LOL.

Shimmie

Staff member
I skimmed in the middle of it...:look:...should have read all of it. Waiting for January only to miss it because I never watch Oprah and will forget? LOL.

I know, right? :lol:

Tell you what:

I'll remind you, if you remind me to remind you to remind me, to remind you to remind me.... Okay?

And hopefully, I'll remember what it is that I am to remind you to remind me, to remind you of. :lol:

Sweet sleep precious one. :sleep2:

:bighug:

ixoyegodisgood

Tyler Perry has even OPENLY admitted to the act of fornication...... im done....for now

He is a pagan. Even when I was in the whole positive thinking nonsense the first of this year, I would never deny Christ...even an inch. That is why it never 'worked' for me. He needs to turn repent and seek true salvation.

As I heard today on the YT "It is my soul at stake and the soul of may family. I refuse to tolerate false teachers'. Awe'main!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=fpnxo3qDWgA

Last edited:

CandiedLipgloss

He is a pagan. Even when I was in the whole positive thinking nonsense the first of this year, I would never deny Christ...even an inch. That is why it never 'worked' for me. He needs to turn repent and seek true salvation. But, since I am sure the money is good, he never will.

As I heard today on the YT "It is my soul at stake and the soul of may family. I refuse to tolerate false teachers'. Awe'main!

Who? Tyler or Joel? :look:

Rainbow Dash

He is a pagan. Even when I was in the whole positive thinking nonsense the first of this year, I would never deny Christ...even an inch. That is why it never 'worked' for me. He needs to turn repent and seek true salvation. But, since I am sure the money is good, he never will.

Yes, this is serious God says, I will either have you hot or cold. You cannot serve God and mammon (money). You cannot have two masters. Its this lukewarm church stuff that is confusing people. One minute you know the Lord and the next you act like you don't. What is up with that? I want to be on fire for Jesus my Lord. We must stop fearing man that can hurt the body, our reputation, etc., but fear Him who can put both body and soul in Hell. We need one another, we need to hold one another accountable. Two is better than one. This is bible and y'all KNOW, I'm speaking the truth in this post. :yep:

I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other. So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. Rev 3:15-16

You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. Rev 3:17

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I'm not against any celeb attending church...Jesus is for everyone! It should be just that..they come quietly to worship and their right to worship should be respected by everyone. When Christians go goo-goo ga-ga over demigods in their midst and forget they are in service ...Houston, we have a problem. :lol:

I don't understand what the big deal is? Celebrities shouldn't attend church?

I'm not a huge fan of Joel Osteen. I think he is more of a motivational speaker, but I still enjoy his messages at times. Why can't O & T?

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

LucieLoo12

My point was is that I'm tired of these churches putting certain people on a pedalstool when they have no kind of lifestyle or reverance towards God. Just because they say "Jesus" dont mean its any devotion there. They see the movies Tyler Perry makes with cursing, lewdness and everything else, then they wanna come have him sit on the first row. YES he can come church, but dont give him any glory because his life dont glorify God. Oprah as well, she has a potty mouth, she been with Stedman for years with No marriage, she even said she dont believe in marriage and I'm not Bo-Bo the fool to believe their is no sexual relation there when they live together. So am I here to say they cant go to church? Of course not, we ALL need to go. But what Im saying is why do these church leaders give the people praise and put them on a high horse??? All that does is confuse their congregation and people into thinking this lifestyle is acceptable...and its not...

Iwanthealthyhair67

Laela I was watching TBN as I do from time to time and Lakewood was on their worship is okay so I 'listened' multitasking ya know...anyway after I heard that Joseph Prince was going to be the speaker I stayed tuned..when he got up to speak the crowd went wild with appluase sparodically yelling out, 'we love you' , 'we love you' and it occured to me that we have made them (pastors) celebrities demi gods, what has the church become.... all glory must go to christ...

I'm not against any celeb attending church...Jesus is for everyone! It should be just that..they come quietly to worship and their right to worship should be respected by everyone. When Christians go goo-goo ga-ga over demigods in their midst and forget they are in service ...Houston, we have a problem. :lol:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
This... :yep:

I agree Cherry Hair, I like his Ministry as well. :yep: Many of us do. I agree we are to be very careful.

What confuses many in the 'Body' is when Church Leaders have a chance to speak the Truth about our Faith and the Lord Jesus Christ....

Cherry, they literally wimp out. They back peddle. They sit as if there is no value in the knowledge of Jesus Christ in comparison to what the world has in their god, the god of this world, satan.

Again, I totally agree with you, Cherry, I agree. :giveheart:

Whenever I watch Ministers such as Pastor Joel and Victoria and even Bishop Jakes, they become limp and yielding to those like Larry King and Oprah. All of our 'principles' go out the window and smash to the ground like Humpty Dumpty. Whatever happen to our Kings who rode upon the strong horses of Christian values.

As these Ministers are interviewed they surrender their power as if they never had it at all. Larry and Oprah are the pythons who mesmerize and hypnotise, and draw them in to deny the Truth of what Christian values the Body of Christ is supposed to stand for.

I'm praying that Pastor Joel and Victoria are standing firm in their interview with Oprah. It's heartbreaking to the Body of Christ to see Jesus 'watered' down and pushed into 'fade' mode when these Ministers are in the spotlight.

Larry and Oprah aren't seeking to know Jesus in His total truth, they are prepared to stand for their principles and will dare anyone to oppose them or try to make them feel like an idiot. They are indeed setting popular Ministers up to show their weakness, by luring them to 'fail' in standing strong upon the Gospel of Jesus Christ, our Lord.

Our children are being subjected this. A world where Men of God are ashamed of Jesus. :nono:

For you, Cherry... :bighug:

EssenceOfBeauty

Should we really be surprised at Joel????? :look:...I mean he had a interview with Larry King...smh..He wouldnt give any really concrete yes or no answer..He was asked was Jesus the only way to heaven..He said God is the only judge...Gay marriage...God is the only judge.I was like Joel, stand on the word!!! lawwwdd..:nono:

I remember seeing that and I was like huh? Really Joey? You just couldn't quote the Bible which clearly states Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through him?

ETA: I call him Joey in my head. I don't know why?:grin:

Last edited: