ONE more conversation about Motions Relaxer

SvelteVelvet

Prior to my last thread about Motions I didn't know that Motions made a Lye AND No Lye relaxer. For folks who had bad experiences or good experiences I'd think this would play a factor as well as the strength and even the application (by yourself or stylist) that would also determine the outcome in the success of this relaxer.

I'm going today to get my touch-up with Motions Oil Moisturizer Mild relaxer with this healthy-hair-everybody-that-goes-to-him-grows-long-thick-healthy-hair-stylist. I was going to purchase a relaxer and just have apply it because he applies it well but I figured if I take that step I mind as well do it myself..so I just decided I'll give him a try.

Still I'd just like to discuss a little bit of WHY this for the majority gets such a bad rap. I will post my experience with it and what I think later tonight.

Thanks ya'll

length4me

I have very fine kinky hair. I used the Motion mild Lye relaxer several years ago and it completely destroyed my hair with breakage and very intense shedding. I did not leave this relaxer on very long and did not relax too frequently. By the end of 5 months of using this relaxer I had a patch of breakage in the back of my head about 3 inches. I use phyto now and haven't had any problems.

SvelteVelvet

length4me said:
I have very fine kinky hair. I used the Motion mild Lye relaxer several years ago and it completely destroyed my hair with breakage and very intense shedding. I did not leave this relaxer on very long and did not relax too frequently. By the end of 5 months of using this relaxer I had a patch of breakage in the back of my head about 3 inches. I use phyto now and haven't had any problems.

Were you applying to your already processed strands? How was your overall hair practices a few years ago? As far as heat usage, protein treatments, regular deep conditioning, styling etc. Thanks!

length4me

I had applied this relaxer to virgin hair. I had not had a relaxer in 5 years up until that point. My hair was in excellent condition before I applied this relaxer and I never had problem with self-relaxing when I was relaxing prior to going natural. Immediately after relaxing with Motions I had the worst shedding in my life. Again my hair is not thick at all so it could have just been a bad choice for my hair.

TLC1020

I use Motions Mild Relaxer all the time with no problems, I base my scalp then apply the relaxer to the most coarse section first. This relaxer has always worked for well for my 4b texture, however my sister has 4a fine hair & it does nothing for her hair and she used super :blush: . As we all know what works for some doesn't work for all.
Thank goodness I found what works for me :yay:

Artemis

I've used M.O.M. mild for most of the time my hair's been relaxed this time (since Oct 05). I only recently (2 touch-ups ago) switched to Mizani. In switching I have noticed that my hair is thicker, but that could also be due to me stretching my relaxer longer, and leaving it on less time, and just to my healthier hair practices in general. But for the most part I liked Motions while I used it. If Mizani ever did me wrong, I'd go back to it.

HTH

SvelteVelvet

TLC1020 said:
I use Motions Mild Relaxer all the time with no problems, I base my scalp then apply the relaxer to the most coarse section first. This relaxer has always worked for well for my 4b texture, however my sister has 4a fine hair & it does nothing for her hair and she used super :blush: . As we all know what works for some doesn't work for all.
Thank goodness I found what works for me :yay:

I hope to share the same experience, knowing that everything else will be done correctly, basing, no overlapping, etc. I've used many relaxers during my no lye days with none of them ever doing anything detrimental to my hair (except for calcium build-up/dryness overtime) This is my second type since venturing into the Lye world so I hope it's a good experience. Thanks for sharing!

SkinnyMocah

Used to be my relaxer of choice, but it just stopped doing it for me. I felt like I was puffing up just a few weeks after having it done.

SvelteVelvet

Thanks for all your responses ladies. I got the touch-up today and regardless of the name of the relaxer, the experience with the new hairdresser was like heaven!! He is sooo great, and my sis wasn't lying. All his clients, well the ones I saw come in today were APL, beyond, a few almost APL and all healthy Motions lye relaxed heads. I shared my story about my ex-dresser over-processing and he was so appalled and some of the other clients chimed in like "MMm-hmm, they used to do that to us too". I asked him if he's been using Motions the whole time he's done hair, and he said "yes because I loves that it straightens but leaves the hair with weight and body." All I could do was sit back at that point and let him do his thing because he shared my vision of what I want in hair care, it was evident when I looked around. He applied it so quick and thorough yet gentle. He based my scalp so well I didn't burn at all. Just the itty bitty tingle before he washed it out. He used a wide tooth comb the whole time, he only used the rattail when he did my rollerset and that was after he applied the detangler/leave-in. Asked me if I was getting a trim, I said 'not this time' and he didn't even flinch. He has over 300 clients accumulated over the last ten years and his prices are just unheard of in my experience with black salons. My touch-up was only $40! His Wash & sets are $20 and treatments are only $10. I was going to become a full DIY'er but since I found him, he'll definately be doing my touch-ups from now on and I may even get a few sets & treatments if I get lazy, with those prices. I just had to share my excitement. My hair is wrapped right now and I'm not taking it down until tomorrow, I'll post pics then. I love the shine and softness my hair has. It's too early to tell any long term affect but right now, Motions is definately alright by me!

length4me

I'm glad everything worked out for you. Your hair looks great in your avatar by the way. It's so thick and full I could only wish.;)

SvelteVelvet

length4me said:
I'm glad everything worked out for you. Your hair looks great in your avatar by the way. It's so thick and full I could only wish.;)

Thanks! You'll get there girl! Just keep suckin up all the LHCF knowledge ;)

loveable37

HONESTLY!!!!;)
I never use any other relaxer but MOTION its the best relaxer on the market to me ,but for some odd reason it fail me due to the tha the fact i needed REGULAR strengh instead of using MILD. my hair has grown so much now its time for me to start using regular, if it fail me again its time to change up:confused: it left my hair underprocess a little so my next touchup i am doin to up my STRENGH to regular instead of MILD.

SvelteVelvet

loveable37 said:
HONESTLY!!!!;)
I never use any other relaxer but MOTION its the best relaxer on the market to me ,but for some odd reason it fail me due to the tha the fact i needed REGULAR strengh instead of using MILD. my hair has grown so much now its time for me to start using regular, if it fail me again its time to change up:confused: it left my hair underprocess a little so my next touchup i am doin to up my STRENGH to regular instead of MILD.

He believes it is too. He said he believes alot of the others flatten the hair too much and thin it out over time. But honestly how meticulous he is about healthy hair, I believe he could apply any relaxer and it be great but that's the one he chooses and it does all his clients good. If he loves it, I love it!

Sistaslick

SvelteVelvet said:
Thanks for all your responses ladies. I got the touch-up today and regardless of the name of the relaxer, the experience with the new hairdresser was like heaven!! He is sooo great, and my sis wasn't lying. All his clients, well the ones I saw come in today were APL, beyond, a few almost APL and all healthy Motions lye relaxed heads. I shared my story about my ex-dresser over-processing and he was so appalled and some of the other clients chimed in like "MMm-hmm, they used to do that to us too". I asked him if he's been using Motions the whole time he's done hair, and he said "yes because I loves that it straightens but leaves the hair with weight and body." All I could do was sit back at that point and let him do his thing because he shared my vision of what I want in hair care, it was evident when I looked around. He applied it so quick and thorough yet gentle. He based my scalp so well I didn't burn at all. Just the itty bitty tingle before he washed it out. He used a wide tooth comb the whole time, he only used the rattail when he did my rollerset and that was after he applied the detangler/leave-in. Asked me if I was getting a trim, I said 'not this time' and he didn't even flinch. He has over 300 clients accumulated over the last ten years and his prices are just unheard of in my experience with black salons. My touch-up was only $40! His Wash & sets are $20 and treatments are only $10. I was going to become a full DIY'er but since I found him, he'll definately be doing my touch-ups from now on and I may even get a few sets & treatments if I get lazy, with those prices. I just had to share my excitement. My hair is wrapped right now and I'm not taking it down until tomorrow, I'll post pics then. I love the shine and softness my hair has. It's too early to tell any long term affect but right now, Motions is definately alright by me!

ummm... I want HIM! :crying3:

SvelteVelvet

Sistaslick said:
ummm... I want HIM! :crying3:

I wish everyone could have him or more hairdressers had sense like him. And those 300 clients, he does them all personally. He's a one man shop. No wash girl, no fresh out of beauty school hand offs, and he has appointment times people will never be able to get because people have schedule those same times everyweek for their lifetime!! But he does his best to fit everyone in and he juggles 4 to 5 heads like nothing. We all got touch-ups, DC's and rollersets and was in and out within 2 hours.

Sistaslick

SvelteVelvet said:
I wish everyone could have him or more hairdressers had sense like him. And those 300 clients, he does them all personally. He's a one man shop. No wash girl, no fresh out of beauty school hand offs, and he has appointment times people will never be able to get because people have schedule those same times everyweek for their lifetime!! But he does his best to fit everyone in and he juggles 4 to 5 heads like nothing. We all got touch-ups, DC's and rollersets and was in and out within 2 hours.

Well, you didn't have to rub it in :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

SvelteVelvet

Sistaslick said:
Well, you didn't have to rub it in :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

:lachen: :lachen: Ooops!! :eek: I don't mean too, I just know how much an LHCF lady would appreciate all those little things in a hairdresser, we're so hard to please. :p