OMG! ....I can't believe it ...

Doll

...burned so much! :eek:

I went to the salon for a touch up (last one Feb. 6th) this past Saturday. During the application process it burned so bad I wanted to cry. Currently the back of my head is still sore in the nape area. I have not had a problem with relaxing in years.

My last CO wash was the weekend before with my usual process of deep conditioning and using my MTG. My stylist used the same relaxer as always (Elucence). I was not using any supplements, MTG, or pre poos before my Feb. touchup. Do any of you ladies have an idea what could be causing this problem? :(

*ElleB said:
Are u sure u didn't scratch or rub? Had any pins in your hair?

I didn't scratch, or rub because there was no itching (I normally only itch in my crown anyway), and there were no pins.

hopeful said:
It was likely the MTG...

Is MTG known to cause scalp burning during a relaxer treatment? If so long should I refrain from using it when I plan to get a relaxer? I'm getting ready to use MN for the summer. I wonder if it causes burning as well. I definitely don't want this to happen again. Luckily my hair breaks down quickly, or I would still have a under processed hair!

I would concur witht the MTG being the culprit of the sensitivity of your scalp. I don't know exactly what and how it does so but I strongly suggest not applying it at least 7 days before a perm.

co-signing with what sweetpuff said. Another thing (and I know some ladies might cringe) but a day or two before my relaxer I oil my scalp with baby oil or a thin layer of vaseline and sleep on it. When I get my relaxer there is little to no burning, even if I scratched the day before.

Thanks so much for the suggestions ladies! I will definitely follow up on this for my next relaxer treatment. One more thing ... Is there anything I can do for my scalp soreness (leftover burn)?

Yep, it was definitely the MTG.
I NEVER get scalp burns.
I don't base my scalp at all and sometimes wash my hair the day before a relaxer.

All that and no burns -- EXCEPT for in March after I'd been using that damn MTG. I'd read on the board to stop using it a week before relaxing. I did. But a week wasn't enough. I still burned.

I don't use MTG anymore (not for that reason...just because it sucks :lol: and didn't produce any extra growth for me like it did for some others).

good luck, hope your scalp is recovering.

ETA: I've read where some have recommended ALOE VERA for scalp burns. That should work.

Synthia said:
Yep, it was definitely the MTG.
I NEVER get scalp burns.
I don't base my scalp at all and sometimes wash my hair the day before a relaxer.

All that and no burns -- EXCEPT for in March after I'd been using that damn MTG. I'd read on the board to stop using it a week before relaxing. I did. But a week wasn't enough. I still burned.

I don't use MTG anymore (not for that reason...just because it sucks :lol: and didn't produce any extra growth for me like it did for some others).

good luck, hope your scalp is recovering.

ETA: I've read where some have recommended ALOE VERA for scalp burns. That should work.

Thanks for the update and remedy Synthia! Next time I'll wait 2 to 3 weeks!

My last relaxer was terrible also. I experienced burning and I think it was due to the MTG which I had stopped using 1 1/2 weeks before my relaxer. I have stopped using MTG for that reason. I am going to see how my next relaxer goes since I havent been using MTG. Maybe I will incorporate it again sometime in the future since I did get good growth with it and just to make certain that I am not falsely blaming the MTG. But I will probably stop using a full 30 days before my relaxer.

Back