OMG at This Dominican Blowout Video!

purplepeace79

Ok. Natural almost 15 years. Only recently got my hair "done" for the first time in September. Havent used heat in over a decade. Decided to get the blow out done to see how long my hair is and to see my hair straight, which I hadnt seen in almost 15 years.

I went through this, sans flat iron. I've never used a flat iron in my life and I'm not sure I ever will. Maybe because I might have confusing views about them. Pressing combs are the devil to me, so I liken flat irons to them as well.

I did go to a Dominican salon, got the rollet set, and then the blow dry. There was a lot of smoke and I was like OK DAMN WTF?!?! But my hair was fine. Didnt permanently change the texture, didnt get any heat damage, no stringy ends, nada.

It isnt always that bad. I certainly don't recommend doing it often. I think it might be a once or twice a year thing for me. Mainly because straight hair has almost zero appeal to me. Secondly because I am not very comfortable with other people doing my hair. Having too many hands in my hair is just something I superstitiously don't condone. Thirdly, I'm poor lol.

I thought my hair was fine after the roller set. I couldn't recall ever seeing it that straight. So I thought that was it. Then she whipped out the blow dryer and I was like ummm WTF? lol But I said *** it and was like wowww what a difference. IMO, the technique they use (big round brush + blow dryer) is the inspiration for the InStyler. Same idea, keep the heat moving, dont concentrate too long on one spot, let the brush distribute oils and such.

Let me ask you ladies though.. what do you think is worse? Flat iron or blow drying?
I get a good stretch just from bunning. But if I flat-ironed it from there, whats the risk of the heat damage?

laurend

Ok. Natural almost 15 years. Only recently got my hair "done" for the first time in September. Havent used heat in over a decade. Decided to get the blow out done to see how long my hair is and to see my hair straight, which I hadnt seen in almost 15 years.

I went through this, sans flat iron. I've never used a flat iron in my life and I'm not sure I ever will. Maybe because I might have confusing views about them. Pressing combs are the devil to me, so I liken flat irons to them as well.

I did go to a Dominican salon, got the rollet set, and then the blow dry. There was a lot of smoke and I was like OK DAMN WTF?!?! But my hair was fine. Didnt permanently change the texture, didnt get any heat damage, no stringy ends, nada.

It isnt always that bad. I certainly don't recommend doing it often. I think it might be a once or twice a year thing for me. Mainly because straight hair has almost zero appeal to me. Secondly because I am not very comfortable with other people doing my hair. Having too many hands in my hair is just something I superstitiously don't condone. Thirdly, I'm poor lol.

I thought my hair was fine after the roller set. I couldn't recall ever seeing it that straight. So I thought that was it. Then she whipped out the blow dryer and I was like ummm WTF? lol But I said *** it and was like wowww what a difference. IMO, the technique they use (big round brush + blow dryer) is the inspiration for the InStyler. Same idea, keep the heat moving, dont concentrate too long on one spot, let the brush distribute oils and such.

Let me ask you ladies though.. what do you think is worse? Flat iron or blow drying?
I get a good stretch just from bunning. But if I flat-ironed it from there, whats the risk of the heat damage?

Yes it comes down to know your hair, some of us are heat sensitive while others can use a blow torch and have no problems.

happylife

watching this was kinda like someone telling you they stubbed their toe.

it wasnt actually your toe, but it's hard not to grimace cause you can feel what just happened vicariously.

it was kinda painful to watch.
have to confess all that heat gave that lady fab looking hair though.

Last edited:

LiberianGirl

Rustic Beauty is a self proclaimed 4b and her flat iron results turned out way better than this Dominican blowout. It may not be silky straight but its better that using all that heat. Plus she doesn't use a high heat setting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mLoonBZLbM

Rustic Beauty's hair did turn out nicely, however, like you said it's not very
straight or silky. Obviously the people who do DB want a bone straight look. Also, the DB would seem to last longer than a regular flat iron because it gets the hair straighter resulting in the hair taking a longer time/more moisture to fully revert to it's natural state.

ajacks

I have never had a Dominican blowout, so I am wondering....What's the point of the rollerset if you still have to use the blow dryer and flat iron the hair?

JollyGal

I want one :-(

It looks gorgeous but I'm scared of heat.

I wonder if you can do a DB with natural products and natural protectants??

BeetleBug

Rustic Beauty's hair did turn out nicely, however, like you said it's not very
straight or silky. Obviously the people who do DB want a bone straight look. Also, the DB would seem to last longer than a regular flat iron because it gets the hair straighter resulting in the hair taking a longer time/more moisture to fully revert to it's natural state.

The lady's hair in the video wasn't silky either. It was kind of stiff looking..

Forever in Bloom

My thoughts:

*They seem to be good at handling natural hair.
*OUCH to that blow dryer, all that smoke :nono: I'm surprised the young lady's hair didn't catch on fire.
*If you're gonna go through all that for the straight look, just relax it doggonit (or BKT it or something) I'd say all that heat is far more damaging than a properly applied relaxer any day AND one drop of sweat, humidity, water, etc. makes all that pain she endured for naught.
The end result looked pretty. (I hope she still had some hair left the next day)

I'm natural and I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. Amen!! Don't say you're natural because it's healthier, and then literally run to hell to get your hair done and say it's better in the end since it's not a chemical!

Bene

The lady's hair in the video wasn't silky either. It was kind of stiff looking..

Yeah, after all that, it still looked stiff. :perplexed

Not to brag or anything, but I can do a better job with a blow dryer and a flat iron. I don't think it was smoke, just steam, so I don't think she damaged anything, but still, for all that work and effort it should've looked a lot better.

LiberianGirl

Yeah, after all that, it still looked stiff. :perplexed

Not to brag or anything, but I can do a better job with a blow dryer and a flat iron. I don't think it was smoke, just steam, so I don't think she damaged anything, but still, for all that work and effort it should've looked a lot better.

Wow you have talent then! Are you talking about your texture or 4b hair?

PrincessLinzz

I have gone to a Dominican salon all of my life (BRONX STANDUP) and my hair is naturally wavy. My girl gets my hair silky and BONE STRAIGHT! She does use a blow dryer (because I don't sit under the hooded dryer, why double the heat, she is going to use that blow dryer anyway for my roots) but not a flat iron and this and that.

They do use a lot of heat with the blow dryer alone, but it is up to YOU the customer to tell the chick to chill and use less heat.

Today my hair was blown out and she wasn't feeling my asking her to spray my Aphogee green tea reconstructor (thanks LHCF) spray on my hair prior to blowing, because she was foreign to it. Guess what I didn't care. It is up to US to protect and do whats best for OUR hair.

And as long as you allow your hair to endure that kind of heat once in a blue moon I think you should be good. But I would advise using 1 hair heating tool not like 8.

Bene

Wow you have talent then! Are you talking about your texture or 4b hair?

Both actually. My grandmother has 4B, and she has me come over and straighten her hair, but I don't like to mainly because I don't like her :ohwell: and her hair is so thin that straightening it makes it look thinner so she looks like Gollum.

But I do straighten my friends' hair, varying textures, when they don't feel like going to the salon. If I ever do any one's head anytime soon, I'll ask if I can take a picture.

My own hair takes me a good 45-60 minutes because of the length, but it's only 3A, so it's not a major battle or anything, just time consuming.

BeetleBug

Both actually. My grandmother has 4B, and she has me come over and straighten her hair, but I don't like to mainly because I don't like her :ohwell: and her hair is so thin that straightening it makes it look thinner so she looks like Gollum.

But I do straighten my friends' hair, varying textures, when they don't feel like going to the salon. If I ever do any one's head anytime soon, I'll ask if I can take a picture.

My own hair takes me a good 45-60 minutes because of the length, but it's only 3A, so it's not a major battle or anything, just time consuming.

oh lord:lachen:

Bene

Yeah, I know that's wrong, but when old ladies get to 80+ years, they don't all have nice thick hair anymore.:lachen:

If she were a nicer person, I would say her hair is delicate and dainty. But that mean old lady looks like Smeagol and I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to bite my finger off :swearing:

PrincessKia

Although it looks quite pretty I couldn't do that to my fine hair strands. Plus, does it really take that much. Her hair didn't look too thick to need all that heat.

The results look great though!

ryanshope

You are too funny....i was cracking up about Grandma Gollum...

Yeah, I know that's wrong, but when old ladies get to 80+ years, they don't all have nice thick hair anymore.:lachen:

If she were a nicer person, I would say her hair is delicate and dainty. But that mean old lady looks like Smeagol and I wouldn't be surprised if she tried to bite my finger off :swearing:

CaliDiamond

How hot does a blow drier have to be for your hair to smoke like that? Wow.

This is what I was wondering..:ohwell: We don't have dominican salons here, but I have seen equally as damaging situations in Black salons (Iron stove waaay too hot, no heat protectant, poor technique). Just remember to pick a good stylist and don't let them do anything to your hair that you wouldn't do to it yourself (if you had the skills).

If that girl had been a LHCFer I would've said, "After all you have learned about haircare...why..WHY?":wallbash:

Personally, I was thinking about getting this done while visiting my fam in NY. But after watching this video I think I will just get a nice roller set.:spinning:

Southernbella.

Yes, you can straighten 4b natural hair with just a flat iron, but I've never seen natural hair get silky straight and bouncy with just a flat iron. Do you have any pics? On all the tutorials I've watched on youtube, people's hair still looks puffy & it only lasts for a day or two. That lady's results will probably last 1-2 weeks.

It's not right for everyone, but seriously it's not that bad.

My hair has only been silky straight once in my life, including relaxed, and that was when I got it flat ironed professionally when transitioning. I have pics of it, but that probably doesn't count.

werenumber2

If that girl had been a LHCFer I would've said, "After all you have learned about haircare...why..WHY?":wallbash:

I highly doubt that was the client's first time getting a Dominican blowout and, in my opinion, her natural hair looked very thick, lush, and cottony. So whatever she's doing seems to be working for her. For all we know, she might get a salon blowout once or twice a year. I'm sure that's healthier for her hair than flat-ironing at home once a month like many LHCFers do.

I was more surprised by the fact that they even did her hair! Most of the Dominican salons over here won't touch natural type 4 hair with a ten-foot pole unless the client is requesting a chemical service. Even 3C/4A hair is pushing it.

pisceschica

And what is the purpose of the putting it on the rollers?

You could get the same result and cut out most of that heat. Just use a regular pick, a boar bristle to get the roots, and use a really really good ceramic tourmaline flat iron.

Charlie555

Seems like she could have saved herself some time and blow dried then pressed or flat ironed. Sitting under the dryer for 1 hour to let the rollers set then blow drying then flat ironing just seems like too many heat steps. I couldn't do it.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Wow. *frowns*
I think she did a great job on her hair.
She was gentle.
The smoke came from the product, imho.
It did not look like she was frying the client's hair - at all.
I'm not sure if the rollerset helped in any way, because she blowed it straight,
so that coulda been skipped - save time and little heat.

Last edited: