Your Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Is Fake

ellebelle88

While reading an article about how most of the honey that is sold in commercial grocery stores is fake (imported from China and laced with a whole bunch of chemicals), I stumbled upon this article about how most EVOO is also fake and duped with other poorer quality oils. Read below, important parts are bolded.

Source: http://www.foodrenegade.com/your-extravirgin-olive-oil-fake/

Your Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Is Fake

Did you know that the Mob makes money hand over fist by selling you fake olive oil? Olive oil is a $1.5 billion industry in the United States alone. According to Tom Mueller, an intrepid journalist who wrote a scandalously revealing book on the subject, 70% of the extra virgin olive oil sold is adulterated — cut with cheaper oils. Apparently, the mob’s been at it so long, that even most so-called “experts” can’t tell a real olive oil from a fake olive oil based on taste alone.

If you were a producer of one of these fake oils, 2008 was a bad year for you. That’s the year that more than 400 Italian police officers conducted a lengthy investigation dubbed “Operation Golden Oil” which led to the arrest of 23 people and the confiscation of 85 farms. It was quickly followed up by another investigation in which more than 40 additional people were arrested for for adding chlorophyll to sunflower and soybean oil and selling it as extra virgin olive oil, both in Italy and abroad.

The prevalence of these and other similar raids actually prompted the Australian government’s standards agency to allow olive oil brands to voluntarily submit their oils for lab tests. These authentication tests allow oils to be certified pure “extra-virgin olive oil.” Thus far in 2012, every imported brand of extra-virgin olive oil has failed the test to gain certification!

Last year, researchers at UC Davis tested 124 different samples from eight major brands of extra-virgin olive oil. More than seventy percent of the imported oils failed.

After reading these news stories last year, I was utterly intrigued when Tom Mueller’s tell all book finally came out. It took me months to get around to reading it, but when I did I couldn’t put the page-turner down. And the evidence? The evidence is damning.

In Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil, Mr. Mueller exposes the inner workings of the olive oil industry, which has fallen prey to hi-tech, industry-wide fraud.

Authentic extra-virgin olive oil, he says, takes a lot of time, expense, and labor to make. On the flip side, it’s quick, cheap, and easy to doctor it.

The most common form of adulteration comes from mixing extra virgin olive oil with cheaper, lower-grade oils. Sometimes, it’s an oil from an altogether different source — like canola oil or colza oil. Other times, they blend extra virgin olive oil with a poorer quality olive oil. The blended oil is then chemically deodorized, colored, and possibly even flavored and sold as “extra-virgin” oil to a producer. In other words, if you find a major brand name olive oil is fake, it probably isn’t the brand’s fault. Rather, it’s their supplier’s.

Mueller’s book is deeply engaging, reading like a typical suspense novel or crime drama rather than a news story. His engrossing way with words sucks you in from page one and doesn’t let you go until you reach the back cover.

If you want the full, gripping, true story behind the olive oil racketeering, I highly recommend you buy and read Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil.

How can you tell if your oil’s fake? Unfortunately, you can’t simply go by taste alone. Journalist Alex Renton shares this story:

I conducted a blind tasting of extra virgin olive oils a few years ago for a national newspaper that wanted “the truth on expensive olive oil”.

We had a dozen oils, and a panel consisting of an importer, an Italian deli owner and a couple of eminent foodies: the results were so embarrassing and confusing the piece was never published. The importer went into a fugue after he was informed that he’d pronounced his own premium product “disgusting”; the deli owner chose a bottle of highly dubious “Italian extra virgin” as his favourite (it had cost £1.99 at the discount store TK Maxx); and both the foodies gave a thumbs-up to Unilever’s much-derided Bertolli brand.

(Bertolli’s scurrilous reputation among olive oil brands came from their intimate involvement with selling fraudulent olive oils.)

So, if you can’t go by taste alone, how can you tell?

First, extra-virgin olive oil ought to be comprised of mostly monounsaturated fat that grows more solid when cold. If you put a real extra-virgin olive oil in the refrigerator, it ought to become thick and cloudy as it cools completely (some oils made from high-wax olive varieties will even solidify). It should be noted, however, that this is not a fail-proof test. That’s because adulterated oils may also become thick and cloudy in the refrigerator. After all, some adulterated extra-virgin olive oils are cut with low-grade, refined olive oil. Those would still clump up. Other adulterated extra-virgin olive oils are cut with just enough of the cheaper oils that they’ll still be mostly olive oil, so they’ll have some clumping, too. If, however, the oil you put in the fridge fails to thicken at all (still appearing as clear and runny as it did at room temperature), then you know something certain: that it’s fake!

Second, extra-virgin olive oil ought to be flammable enough to keep an oil lamp burning. Again, this isn’t a fail-proof test, and for the same reasons. But, it is certain that if your so-called “extra virgin olive oil” doesn’t keep a wick burning, it isn’t extra-virgin at all, but instead contains refined oils.

Since no completely fail-proof test exists, here’s what I do to know I’m getting a good oil: I know my farmer. He’s not a mobster; he’s a friend. And his farm has been growing and producing high-quality, fully authentic olive oils for more than a hundred years.

Artisan and locally-produced olive oils (the variety you can find from domestic small family farms) have always passed every single test of authenticity. So, buy locally. Buy from a farmer you can get to know and trust, and you’ll be set.

If you don’t have any local olive growers near you, then I personally vouch for the online olive oil suppliers found here. You can buy their olive oils online and trust that you’re getting an authentic extra-virgin olive oil

30something

Yes.. honestly its best to not get oil from a supermarket for our hair and get it from online places that sell them for non-consumable purposes. Like from soupgoads.com... oils from there are so much more richer..

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Priss Pot
I know your in the Bay Area. Can you give me the 411 on Nappa Valley Naturals? Are they growing olives in Northern Cal? Or, are they importing their EVOO and relabeling/distributing it.? Please advise!

I love their GSO! Maybe, I need to start buying their EVOO. That would be the closest to buying local, regarding EVOO that I can probably get.

MuseofTroy

This doesn't surprise me. However what did is that Oliva Oil from kirkland at Costco and Trader Joe's is authentic.

PureSilver

I'm glad I read this in its entirety. I have always questioned on my mind the authenticity of EVOO since there are so many brands, the availabilitynin quantity and the price. It seems too cheap if its called extra virgin, shouldn't that take some time to process. If it's so cheap then I guess much effort didn't go into making it ESP since it's available in large quantities just about everywhere. Now where do I turn for some real EVOO???

This reminds me of something my cousin always says and as funny as it sounds if you really think about it, it makes sense. "he says, I don't drink milk because I don't know where they get so many cows from". Coming from a family of farmers we both know what real cows milk and goats milk should taste smell and look like. The milk sold in stores these days are heavily processed. It's watery and has no taste.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Bottom line..

We can't trust ANYTHING!

Ugh!!!! I am So frustrated with the food supply, the medical community and the government.

Our entire lives and health are relying on lies, purchased poison in the form of "food" and prescription not prevention for survival.

How is that gonna work???

Doesn't everyone see that THIS is why we have rampant cancer rates and shortening lifespans?

Just wow.......

trclemons

Bottom line..

We can't trust ANYTHING!

Ugh!!!! I am So frustrated with the food supply, the medical community and the government.

Our entire lives and health are relying on lies, purchased poison in the form of "food" and prescription not prevention for survival.

How is that gonna work???

Doesn't everyone see that THIS is why we have rampant cancer rates and shortening lifespans?

Just wow.......
YES!!! I totally agree. All of those industries are in bed together to make money by slowly killing us. I don't trust any of them!!!

Jewell

Nice article, and thanks for posting. But I buy my Olive oil straight from Portugal, a small artisan brand, and Im pretty confident it's real. I have tasted "fake" olive oil which is largely colored soybean and sunflower oil, and the taste does not compare (for me) to the real thing. My olive oil is not extra virgin, its just regular first press olive oil. I don't buy store brands of EVOO or Olive oil. If mine is fake, oh well. I cook with coconut oil, sesame oil, and grape seed oil as well as use them on my hair and body. So there is a way around using EVOO. Eat olives instead for the health benefits.

These days there are scams everywhere. Unless someone is gonna pick olives, hand-press, and bottle it directly, not much can be done about it. Bootlegging is the new way of life in a lot of countries. :nono:

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
My extra virgin olive oil is organic....can I trust that organic means its authentic?
image-1985671947.jpg

It says "natural flavor"...hmmm? And it says on the back it's apart of the International Olive oil Council....hmmmm? that could be the olive oil mob.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I emailed Nappa Valley Naturals to see if they are producing their own EVOO or importing it. I'll let you guys know their response.

They're not included in this list of producers with the California Olive Oil Council seal. But, that could just indicate that they have not passed certification yet.

California Olive Oil Council

I think I'll start supporting Californian EVOO producers, so I don't have to worry about overpaying for soybean oil.

Last edited:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
Priss Pot
I know your in the Bay Area. Can you give me the 411 on Nappa Valley Naturals? Are they growing olives in Northern Cal? Or, are they importing their EVOO and relabeling/distributing it.? Please advise!

I love their GSO! Maybe, I need to start buying their EVOO. That would be the closest to buying local, regarding EVOO that I can probably get.

MileHighDiva Hey, I'm sorry but I haven't any information on Napa Valley Naturals. I haven't lived in the Bay for long, so I don't know all of the ins and outs of the area just yet.

Dare~to~Dream

Well this sucks. I cook with olive oil and I currently have some Bertolli in the cabinent...didn't know they were notorious for selling fake olive oil. I've heard of fake olive oils before but was led to believe it was the "no-name" or store brands from the *grocery section* of random stores (not an actual supermarket/grocery store). But this shouldn't be a surprise to me as I have used many brands sold in the U. S. but very recently had access to Spanish olive oil...which is more aromatic with a deeper more richer color.

Last edited:

IrrationalThoughts

I read about this a few months ago. I REALLY dislike - borderline hate Olive oil. Only for dipping bread. My BF has a bottle of Bertolli it went from greenish to amber over time. I stopped using it a while ago and just put it out for the trash yesterday. EVCO, GSO, Safflower and Sunflower oils.

Dare~to~Dream

I currently have some Bertolli in the cabinent...didn't know they were notorious for selling fake olive oil.

Actually, I just checked and it's Fillippo Berio which according to sites like Truth in Olive Oil doesn't test well for pure olive oil either (Pompeian and Rachel Ray are some brands that are "fake"). I definitely don't trust store brands. Basically there are only a few brands that are the *real* thing (most are private labels and are sold in speciality shops/online). Since they are not available to me locally, I have decided to not even bother buying olive oil for the time being. Though the site I mentioned gives good tips on what to look for: is it in a dark glass or a plastic bottle, check the harvest date of the olives not just the expiration date, and finally what does it smell and taste like/does it tingle the back of your throat?

Last edited:

greenandchic

I only buy olive oil and honey from my local co-ops. Olive oil has such a distinct flavor its hard to fake it but I am pretty paranoid these days. I never buy food products from large companies/labels.

NaiyaAi

Basically, when it comes to coconut oil, virgin and extra virgin mean the exact same thing. It's just unrefined coconut oil. What companies do is take virgin coconut oil and slap an "extra" in front of it on the label to jack up the price and make consumers think that there is a difference between VCO and EVCO.

The term "extra virgin" only means something in regards to olive oil (and, according to this thread, that isn't saying much). The USDA ratings for olive oil are:

U.S. Extra Virgin Olive Oil for oil with excellent flavor and odor and free fatty acid content of not more than 0.8g per 100g (0.8%);
U.S. Virgin Olive Oil for oil with reasonably good flavor and odor and free fatty acid content of not more than 2g per 100g (2%);
U.S. Virgin Olive Oil Not Fit For Human Consumption Without Further Processing is a virgin oil of poor flavor and odor;
U.S. Olive Oil is an oil mix of both virgin and refined oils;
U.S. Refined Olive Oil is an oil made from refined oils with some restrictions on the processing

However, certification is voluntary in America and since the USDA charges companies for certification testing of their oils, most companies go ahead and call it what they want because they can without there being any legal consequences.

Mz.MoMo5235

I second the evco info. I learned this while in India.

You just want to look for the words "unrefined" and in all honesty I learned from Indian women "If you cook with it, its good enough for your hair"

I brought back a butt load of parachute coconut oil with me. It seems to be their fav brand to cook with and use on hair. I do both as well. Parachute has a good taste to it.

But for my hair I like to cut it with evoo. But I get that from my local health food store... so I dont know if that's any better or not =/

TracyNicole

I prefer to get my oil and honey and the farmers market. What you purchase there is completely different from anything I've ever seen in the grocery store.

Mz.MoMo5235

I saw vatika oil but it was in the hair aisle where as the parachute was in the food aisle. All the women seemed to stick with the parachute. I never saw vatika in any ones cart and no one ever spoke of it to me

As for powders, they dont really buy brand name powders (as for the area I was in. Maybe up north they do). Most would get their powders from the same street stand guy who sold spices or did mahindi art on the street corner

bronzephoenix

I use Walmart brand EVOO. I think I'm safe.

^^^ LOL!

Smh. Honestly, all of this doesn't surprise me. Nothing is as it seems anymore & it's as sad as it is dangerous. I could never understand how olive oil is referred to as "liquid gold" and even used as currency in the Bible, meanwhile selling for a few bucks on shelves everywhere...

Proverbs 31:30

bronzephoenix

My extra virgin olive oil is organic....can I trust that organic means its authentic?

It says "natural flavor"...hmmm? And it says on the back it's apart of the International Olive oil Council....hmmmm? that could be the olive oil mob.

Wouldn't a TRULY natural ingredient posess its rightful natural flavor, without additional help? That's how I see it... I can't stand that term.

Lol @ "that could be the olive oil mob" :p

Proverbs 31:30

TracyNicole

Hmmm natural flavor is a term usually use to disguise ingredients they don't want to list one the label. Examples, ground insects, MSG, orange oil, etc.
I don't so much get the flavor of an actual salted/seasoned olive from the oil but as I mentioned, if you go to a local market they should actually be able to tell you about their process. Also, what I see is opaque, not transparent yellow like I see in most commercial brands.
Oh and if there are any trade shows in your area, that's a good place to score quality ingredients.

NIN4eva

I found out about the olive oil sham about a year ago when I started making soap. Many of the ladies and gents I've come across in the soaping community get their stash from Costo or a soaping supplier. Every oil has a specific saponification value. And we use the sap values of the oils we're using to calculate how much lye to use to make soap. If the oil isn't pure the sap value will be wrong and it throws off the formula. Can't fake that.

Last edited: