Oils That Penetrate the Hair Strand/Cortex!

Lucky's Mom

Staple oils are several for me.

coconut
EVOO
Jojoba
Castor
Avocado

I use these all the time - for various purposes ( hair skin nails )

Wheat Germ
Hemp Seed

I use these in conditioning recipes/formulations

I other oils in the refridge.... I think Rosehip and meadowfoam...

syncerelyhis

Thanks! I'm definitely going to have to get some unrefined avocado oil...the refined one works really well on my hair, so I can only imagine the unrefined one will be much better:grin:

ETA: I also wanted to add a question...if these oils penetrate the hair strand/cortex, should they be used as a sealant over another moisturizer or should they just be used as a moisturizer, and if so, would they have to be sealed too? Hope that makes sense![/quote]

I was wondering the same thing!

And that OP for this! this is great info!

Auburn

Thanks! I'm definitely going to have to get some unrefined avocado oil...the refined one works really well on my hair, so I can only imagine the unrefined one will be much better:grin:

ETA: I also wanted to add a question...if these oils penetrate the hair strand/cortex, should they be used as a sealant over another moisturizer or should they just be used as a moisturizer, and if so, would they have to be sealed too? Hope that makes sense![/quote]

OT, I am salivating over your hair! :love:

Soliel185

I think it depends on your hair honestly. I always dampen my hair by at least lightly spritzing it before I add a cream leave in or oil. I just feel like it absorbs better, and my hair has a nice feel to it once it dries.

I double up with cream + sealing oil on areas that I know to be especially dry or brittle, but I don't think it's necessary every time. Experiment with it and see. :yep:

deusa80

I think it depends on your hair honestly. I always dampen my hair by at least lightly spritzing it before I add a cream leave in or oil. I just feel like it absorbs better, and my hair has a nice feel to it once it dries.

I double up with cream + sealing oil on areas that I know to be especially dry or brittle, but I don't think it's necessary every time. Experiment with it and see. :yep:

Thanks:grin: I think I'm going to try just using the oils for a while and see how my hair likes it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I also Purchased Soy and Sesame? Curious about hose? And did they say anything about Almond & Jojoba? Please let me know. (Off to mix my Coconut, Olive & Avacado) Hair Dry & Thirsty................:(

Maxitonia

where do you purchase your avocado oil please, I found a big bottle at the stop and shop supermarket and it says extra virgin avocado oil cold pressed is this the refined or unrefined one??? it's 10.50, should I buy it or not. thanks

Barbara

Princess
Olive, coconut, and almond oils are part of my signature staples.

Wheat Germ oil stinks because it is rancid, according to Dr. Paava Airola. That's why it burns the throat when taken orally. Many think this is normal, but it is not. It should only be bought in small quantities, because it turns rancid fast.

When I first bought Wild Growth Oil, it didn't stink at all. I guess I was pretty fortunate.

lovinglength

I love my coconut oil! I personally like it better than my olive oil for the lasting softness and shine I get. I now make my concoctions with my extra virgin olive oil, and I use the pure extra virgin coconut oil for my hair. My 1-2 combo punch!

mscocoface

omg and the smell (for me) does not go away. I tried prepooing with neem mixed with a little castor and a little coconut, and even after i washed and deep conditioned I could still smell it. even after 2 days. neem oil seriously makes me gag.

Can't do neem oil. Only use this in powder format.

I get the gag reflex thingy also with this oil. It is waaay to strong in smell for me.

Ivy Santolina

My hair loves EVOO. I get my best DC treatments when I add EVOO to my conditioner. I never considered that I was moisturizing my hair with it as well but it's logical. Thanks OP for posting your findings.

vkb247

for those looking for avocado oil, make sure it is very dark green. The golden-y green looking ones have been refined, and there is a difference between the refined and unrefined:yep:

I disagree with this. There are many different types of avocados and they have a wide range of colors. Either way only the outside of the avocado would be dark. The inside is always light green. When you buy the oil it should say if it is refined or unrefined. I buy cold pressed unrefined avocado oil that is for cooking and requires refrigeration after opening. It is also in a container that does not allow light in because that can also effect the oil.

I believe all oils termed as "carrier oils" are small molecule oils hence the reason they are used to "carry" ie deliver essential oils and are therefore able to penetrate strands. I don't know why I never think of EVOO as a small molecule oil but avocado, grapeseed, jojoba, coconut, hazelnut, kukui nut, macadamia nut, walnut are all carrier oils and therefore IMO fall into the oils I believe can penetrate hair strands.

Carrier oils are called that simply because they are used to dilute essential oils that can be too strong used alone. All carrier oils are not equal.

vkb247

OP thanks for linking to that blog its really great. I'm thinking that I am going to have to try harder too make coconut oil work for my hair it is just too good for it!

1. Coconut oil penetrates into the cortex (Journal of Cosmetic Science pg 169-184,2001).Why should you care? This oil can help condition, moisturise and strengthen your hair!

2. Coconut oil reduces damage to hair cuticle during combing especially wet combing that many naturals (not me) are fond of (Journal of Cosmetic Science pg 327-339,1999).

3. Coconut oil reduces swelling of the hair shaft when the hair is immersed into water, protecting the hair from hygral fatigue. (Journal of Cosmetic Science pg 169-184,2001)

Seems like coconut oil would be great to use before swimming.

ladytee2

I want to gag everytime I think of neem oil. I use neem oil on my plants as an insect repellant. It gives a great shine but its the worse smell on earth. I could not imagine putting that stuff in my hair and having to smell it all day.

LaidBak

I'm building a research list for oils and so far I have jojoba oil, castor oil, olive oil, avocado oil and shea butter. If you want me to look up any others email me or leave a comment!

I would love to know more about Argan Oil. I know where its from and all that. But since we are talking chemical properties and whatnot, I'd love to know if it penetrates the hair shaft.

Did we ever determine if almond oil penetrates?

Soliel185

I would love to know more about Argan Oil. I know where its from and all that. But since we are talking chemical properties and whatnot, I'd love to know if it penetrates the hair shaft.

Did we ever determine if almond oil penetrates?

Oooh that wasn't me personally - that was part of the section I quoted from the website.

I know a few ladies here have been experimenting with Argan Oil, and I'm not sure about whether or not Almond Oil penetrates. I would think "no", but I can't say for sure. In any case, I assume that oil nut derived oils (peanut, almond, macadamia etc) would be beneficial for hair b/c of their high fatty acid content.

Lucia

syncerelyhis said:
Auburn said:

OT, I am salivating over your hair!

Me too :)
Syncerelyhis, I just looked at your fotki, What's your straightening technique? I love your hair, WOW the pic where you spread your hair across the shine off it is banging. :notworthy:

Last edited:

Kurlee

I disagree with this. There are many different types of avocados and they have a wide range of colors. Either way only the outside of the avocado would be dark. The inside is always light green. When you buy the oil it should say if it is refined or unrefined. I buy cold pressed unrefined avocado oil that is for cooking and requires refrigeration after opening. It is also in a container that does not allow light in because that can also effect the oil.

Carrier oils are called that simply because they are used to dilute essential oils that can be too strong used alone. All carrier oils are not equal.
The avocado oil does vary in colour, but the unrefined is definitely, medium to dark green, kinda cloudy and THICK. The refined one is light, and goldeny, like say sweet almond oil, and see thru-ish.

Jhuidah

Bumping this to ask a question: Does anyone know if avocado butter would have the same effect as the oil? I love avocado butter, and found the oil too...well, oily.