Oils That Penetrate the Hair Strand/Cortex!

Kurlee

Yeah right...Wheat germ oil is the best oil I've ever experimented with. It makes my hair so silky and does contain ceramides. It is way better than Coconut, olive and avocado oils. I am always wondering why nobody ever mentioned it on the board. You better try it ladies you won't regret it. But... it stinks:lachen:I always use it as a pre-poo, because I hate the smell.. Some of my friends like it though:yep:
i like wg oil too but it stinks!!!!!!:yep:

Kurlee

So I got the two where can I buy the avocado oil any store?

Thanks for the edumacation on this one. :yep:
for those looking for avocado oil, make sure it is very dark green. The golden-y green looking ones have been refined, and there is a difference between the refined and unrefined:yep:

adw425

This is what I do, too, Soleil...

:yep: I noticed that rice bran was a key ingredient in a lot of high end conditioners like Aveda and started buying it straight.

I like to read ingredients for the expensive stuff, and then buy the main parts undiluted and experiment.

biancaelyse

Great! I use a mixture of olive, avocado, grapeseed oils on my hair. I've only been using coconut oil on my face, but i'm going to add this to my mix going forward. :yep:

I love grapeseed oil and sweet almond oil too. I'll bve looking for some wheat germ oil and rice bran oil too when I use up my current stash.

Are these sold at Whole Foods?

Nonie

I believe all oils termed as "carrier oils" are small molecule oils hence the reason they are used to "carry" ie deliver essential oils and are therefore able to penetrate strands. I don't know why I never think of EVOO as a small molecule oil but avocado, grapeseed, jojoba, coconut, hazelnut, kukui nut, macadamia nut, walnut are all carrier oils and therefore IMO fall into the oils I believe can penetrate hair strands.

Crown

Thanks for the info I think that monoi and jojoba could be added to the moisterising oils list too. I use monoi on my face and body right out fo the shower makes it soft and look like I used that shimmer stuff when I didn't. I used to use avocado oil but it's really heavy and thick.

Monoi is mainly coconut oil.

Someone please, where can I find wheat germ oil in OIL, not in capsules?

MummysGirl

Thanks for this post... I better get back to using EVOO in my prepoo mix! I already use coconut oil in my moisturising mix and DCs. I also use EVOO in my moisturising spritz...

Thanks again.

half.cadence

sweet almond oil does too..

I read an article that had the molecular structure/weight of many oils..but I cant find it anywhere. :wallbash: It was a lot of information and word heavy but it was very useful..

deusa80

for those looking for avocado oil, make sure it is very dark green. The golden-y green looking ones have been refined, and there is a difference between the refined and unrefined:yep:

Hmm..I never knew this. Well I've only been using avocado oil for the past month or so, but it's been the golden-y color and it seems to be working fine... do you know where I can find the dark green kind? Why is it better then the golden-y color?

TIA!

Vonnieluvs08

Thanks for posting the info. I am finding that I prefer to use oils for moisturizing more so then commercial ones. Did you say there was a site that had all the oils and what they are best used for?

I didn't know for the longest time that everyone was using regular EVOO I thought you ladies were getting some special one for hair.:lachen:

Makenzie

I wasn't impressed with coconut oil, but I love olive oil. I love jojoba oil even more so and am hoping it penetrates the cortex too. I've done my own research on it and have found articles that says it does, so this is what I'ma believe.:lol:

Kurlee

Hmm..I never knew this. Well I've only been using avocado oil for the past month or so, but it's been the golden-y color and it seems to be working fine... do you know where I can find the dark green kind? Why is it better then the golden-y color?

TIA!
the refined one is processed, stripped if you will, to an extent, so all the natural properties are not in tact. I have tried both and the unrefined is sooooooooooooo rich, its unbeleiveable

Kurlee

TIA!
the refined one is processed, stripped if you will, to an extent, so all the natural properties are not in tact. I have tried both and the unrefined is sooooooooooooo rich, its unbelievable.

Avocado Oil Persea americana Although it is usually classed as a vegetable oil, the avocado is really a fruit since it has a stone - but none-the-less it can yield a staggering 30% oil by weight, which is expressed from the fruit, and in its crude form is a great oil to use as a carrier when performing aroma therapy massage. The crude oil is greenish yellow in color as it still contains some chlorophyll and is classified as a mono-unsaturated oil. The aroma is somewhat sweet, fatty and nutty in medium intensity. It works well to nourish and moisturize dry or mature skin. It contains many nutrients including vitamins A, D and E. It is often used for clients with dry or mature skins, or people suffering from eczema or psoriasis and similar skin complaints, and it is very useful when treating sun or climate damaged skin that is dehydrated and under nourished as it is said to help with the regenerating of the skin and softening of the tissue. Although it can be used pure, it is, in most cases mixed with another carrier, such as Avocado, or Grapeseed to make up at around 10% of the total carrier mixture. It is easily absorbed into the skin and deep tissue, and has wonderful emollient properties, Making it excellent for use in all massage blends, lotions and soaps and creams etc.. Refined Avocado oil is yellow to yellowish-green in color and is lighter than unrefined Avocado oil. Unrefined Avocado contains more of the Avocado fruit, is dark green in color and heavier. As it contains more of the fruit, its beneficial properties are greater than the refined oil.

http://www.blackhillsherbs.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=14
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/oilprofile/avocado.php

mscocoface

I just put a combo of wheat germ, olive and coconut on my hair and I am LOVING IT! I did a sorta kinda of a flat iron this past Saturday and I wanted to nourish my hair through out the week since I didn't want it to completely revert. I usally do cowashing and deep conditioning on a regular.

I think I may be able to do twists and protective styles with just this combo this summer and keep my hair pinned up or twisted into different styles up on my head.

Love it, love it love it. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Michelle*

Yep, coconut oil has a been a staple for me for years! I tried Olive Oil, loved the effect, hated the smell...LOL!

I also like Jojoba oil!

Good info, cuz a lot of people don't know some oils do have a molecular structure small enough to penetrate! Fortunately for me I learned this about 25 yrs ago in my studies.

Soliel185

I read somewhere that meadowfoam seed oil partially penetrates...I always wondered if that was while NTM worked for me when I was relaxed.

ETA: NOTHING smells worse than Neem Oil. *shudder*

I find that lavendar essential oil can cover most smells b/c it's a little musky. HTH

Stella B.

Monoi is mainly coconut oil.

Someone please, where can I find wheat germ oil in OIL, not in capsules?
In my local area I've only seen wheat germ oil at one store; the Whole Foods Market. Look for it in the refrigerated pro-biotics section in the vitamin dept. HTH

MissRissa

I read somewhere that meadowfoam seed oil partially penetrates...I always wondered if that was while NTM worked for me when I was relaxed.

ETA: NOTHING smells worse than Neem Oil. *shudder*

I find that lavendar essential oil can cover most smells b/c it's a little musky. HTH

omg and the smell (for me) does not go away. I tried prepooing with neem mixed with a little castor and a little coconut, and even after i washed and deep conditioned I could still smell it. even after 2 days. neem oil seriously makes me gag.

deusa80

the refined one is processed, stripped if you will, to an extent, so all the natural properties are not in tact. I have tried both and the unrefined is sooooooooooooo rich, its unbelievable.

Avocado Oil Persea americana Although it is usually classed as a vegetable oil, the avocado is really a fruit since it has a stone - but none-the-less it can yield a staggering 30% oil by weight, which is expressed from the fruit, and in its crude form is a great oil to use as a carrier when performing aroma therapy massage. The crude oil is greenish yellow in color as it still contains some chlorophyll and is classified as a mono-unsaturated oil. The aroma is somewhat sweet, fatty and nutty in medium intensity. It works well to nourish and moisturize dry or mature skin. It contains many nutrients including vitamins A, D and E. It is often used for clients with dry or mature skins, or people suffering from eczema or psoriasis and similar skin complaints, and it is very useful when treating sun or climate damaged skin that is dehydrated and under nourished as it is said to help with the regenerating of the skin and softening of the tissue. Although it can be used pure, it is, in most cases mixed with another carrier, such as Avocado, or Grapeseed to make up at around 10% of the total carrier mixture. It is easily absorbed into the skin and deep tissue, and has wonderful emollient properties, Making it excellent for use in all massage blends, lotions and soaps and creams etc.. Refined Avocado oil is yellow to yellowish-green in color and is lighter than unrefined Avocado oil. Unrefined Avocado contains more of the Avocado fruit, is dark green in color and heavier. As it contains more of the fruit, its beneficial properties are greater than the refined oil.

Thanks! I'm definitely going to have to get some unrefined avocado oil...the refined one works really well on my hair, so I can only imagine the unrefined one will be much better:grin:

ETA: I also wanted to add a question...if these oils penetrate the hair strand/cortex, should they be used as a sealant over another moisturizer or should they just be used as a moisturizer, and if so, would they have to be sealed too? Hope that makes sense!

Last edited:

Nonie

What do they mean mixing avocado with avocado?