Nubian Heritage Review thread

Kurlee

I thought I would start a thread for those of us trying out the Nubian Heritage line.

I'll start.

So far I've tried the tamanu/help masque and it smells good and is uber thick, but it gave me protein overload:nono:. My hair is soft, but way too proteiny. Like it's matting.:nono: So I soaked my hair in Joico moisture recovery balm in hopes of salvaging my hair and not having a setback. Wish me luck!:yep:

lamaria211

I have the 2 masque, the hair butter and the grow & strengthen custard so far I've only used the custard and the butter I like both OK the custard is kind of dry so I have to moisten my hair first (will not rebuy) the butter is really nice very moisturizing with some hold to it

SEMO

Grow & Strengthen custard - Love this product! Works great to slick my hair down, esp. my edges. Can be used alone as a leave-in and styler, but I prefer to use a regular leave-in under it (more to do w/ my routine than the product). It gives a medium hold, w/ no crunchiness and has a really good shine to it. I don't think I'll go back to regular gels.

Indian Hemp and Tamanu custard
- Seems to work similar to the other one (need to try it out more), but I think I like the other custard better. But it still works great at slicking my hair & is the same level of hold as the other.

Hair butter - I really like this butter. It's the first hair butter I've tried, so I don't yet have a comparison to how other butters work (but I'm expecting some whipped shea butter this week in the mail). It feels very smooth, kinda like a pomade (and the directions say it can be used as one), but not the creamy smooth texture I expected from a butter. It feels a bit greasy when I first put it on & it can weigh my hair down if I use a lot. But it soaks in my hair wonderfully. It saved my ends. Seriously. My ends were acting a FOOL over the summer (I couldn't even do wash n' go's) and using my regular oils (coconut & jojoba) wasn't helping at all. My ends were tangly and crazy (I think in reaction to a protein treatment I did). Once this butter soaked in, it made my ends feel luscious. Using this product has gotten me curious about using other butters.

Indian Hemp and Tamanu masque
- Smells wonderful. Says on the package that it can be used as a treatment or leave-in. I tried it as a leave-in but wasn't really impressed. It wasn't bad (and I've definitely used worse). But it doesn't hold a candle to my holy grail leave-in (from As I Am). I can't remember if I've already tried it as a deep conditioner and I'm kinda scared to use it too much (at least in the near future) b/c of the hard keratin protein. But I feel like it would work well if I was in need of a protein treatment.

Kurlee

so it took me an hour to detangle my hair and end up losing two balls the size of a quarter :nono: That's a lot for me, but once I got through it, my hair was very strong and NOTHING was coming out of the comb. It STILL feels proteinish, so I'm DCing AGAIN with avocado oil and Joico moisture recovery balm to get the softness back. Crossing my fingers that my hair will be back to normal tomorrow.

The tamanu masque would be great for mushy hair, but it's no good for hair that is balanced already or dry. It's a very strong protein:yep:

greenandchic

I thought I would start a thread for those of us trying out the Nubian Heritage line.

I'll start.

So far I've tried the tamanu/help masque and it smells good and is uber thick, but it gave me protein overload:nono:. My hair is soft, but way too proteiny. Like it's matting.:nono: So I soaked my hair in Joico moisture recovery balm in hopes of salvaging my hair and not having a setback. Wish me luck!:yep:

I had the same issue with that product. I use it sparingly, diluted with other conditioners and in specific areas that I know need protein. I've had this jar for about 6 months and I've only used about half which is unusual for me when it comes to conditioners!

Kurlee

So I rinsed out my second moisturizing DC and my hair is still a bit proteinish but not longer tangled. If I were to rate my hair right now on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being protein overload, 10 being mushy and 5 being perfect balance, I would say it's a 3.5. When I first started it was a 1. I'm scared to ever put this conditioner in my hair again. It's stronger than aphogee 2 step. I'd definitely only use this on overmoisturized hair or maybe relaxed, porous hair.

On a more positive note, the extend moringa butter is awesome. Super soft hair!

Last edited:

greenandchic

Kurlee - I too would compare it to Aphrogee, except this smells waaaay better and easier to use! I prefer to apply my conditioners, especially buttery ones like a relaxer.

Kurlee

Nubian Heritage Heat Protect Leave-In Conditioning Cream Honey & Black

straightened my hair with this and it's awesome. Soft, silky, uber shiny hair. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definite staple material. I can see this creme working exceptionally well on relaxed hair.

Last edited:

Coffee

I plan on trying some of the products in this line. I'll have to drive to the "ethnic" part of town to purchase it though :lachen:.

Last edited:

outspokenwallflower

Bought the evoo & moringa pre poo today. I'm interested in the heat protect leave in cream and the protein condish discussed in this thread as an easier alternative to the messier versions out there. I'd like it for prepping my hair pre and post relaxer.

Kurlee

Bought the evoo & moringa pre poo today. I'm interested in the heat protect leave in cream and the protein condish discussed in this thread as an easier alternative to the messier versions out there. I'd like it for prepping my hair pre and post relaxer.
The leave-in creme is AMAZING and the protein condish is hardcore!!!!! Be careful with it.

lamaria211

I've been using the NH grow n strengthen herbal custard consistently for about a week and its OK but I need to use something watery before I apply it its really thick but not greasy at all and it smells really good . I probably won't rebuy it though. I will be trying out the Grow n Strengthen masque on Monday night but I plan on mixing it with oils and some SD VS.

sheanu

Did anyone try the product they have for.edges...forgot the name sorry

The edge taming taffy? I have it but use it very sparingly. I find that it makes my hair a bit crunchy, as if I have build up. I think the butter may work better

Has anyone tried the shine gel?

Last edited:

lamaria211

I'm DCing for the first time with the Grow n Strengthening masque but I have a few other conditioners mixed with it so I can't really give an accurate review but so far I like it

ManeStreet

straightened my hair with this and it's awesome. Soft, silky, uber shiny hair. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definite staple material. I can see this creme working exceptionally well on relaxed hair.

I just used this on wet hair before blowdrying today then I followed with flatironing. My hair came out super soft & shiny & it smells great too.

Last edited:

faithVA

I'm DCing for the first time with the Grow n Strengthening masque but I have a few other conditioners mixed with it so I can't really give an accurate review but so far I like it

I used this and my hair doesn't like protein. I have been using it for several months. It works well on my protein sensitive, dry, low porosity hair. I like it. It leaves my hair feel soft and not dry and brittle. It is a keeper for me. I use it once a month.

faithVA

I have this but have never used it. I never straighten my hair. But I plan to try this when I use up my As I Am leave-in. I am going to use it without heat to see how it works.

Kurlee said:

agreed !! I actually just finished my jar

ManeStreet

I have this but have never used it. I never straighten my hair. But I plan to try this when I use up my As I Am leave-in. I am going to use it without heat to see how it works.

It smells soooo good. And my hair is super duper moisturized but not greasy. I will see how its holds up over the weekend.