Now Forming an Army of SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS!! Come on in!

sapphire18

My hair is currently 5-7" long straightened and 5" when not straightened (I'm CBL). My ultimate goal is MBL when not straightened, which on my body is 17", & I'm pushing for a July 2012 goal date. My current regimen varies (I’ll get more consistent when I find out what my hair likes). But, I always wear my hair in a bun.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Maracujá And when you deep condition with heat, are you using a heat cap, overhead dryer, etc?

coyacoy How do you deep condition?

I'm thinking of investing in a steamer or overhead dryer so I'm stalking the threads to see which would be best for me and my hairstyle choices.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Maracujá, wow!!! When my hair gets like yours, I'll be content. I have to ask though. Your scalp is okay with the once monthly washes?

Not really. But even when I was washing it once a week I still had dandruff problems.

Maracujá And when you deep condition with heat, are you using a heat cap, overhead dryer, etc?

coyacoy How do you deep condition?

I'm thinking of investing in a steamer or overhead dryer so I'm stalking the threads to see which would be best for me and my hairstyle choices.

I dc with a shower cap on under an overhead dryer. I put my hair in 6-8 bantu knots after detangling.

PinkGirlFluff

I have a dream that one day I will be at least bra strap length. It's getting close to my nappiversary and I'm halfway there from less than a half an inch of hair when I bc'd. I have faith that it will come. I am so excited. I love seeing what cool things I can do with my hair at different lengths.

Last edited:

coyacoy

i use a steamer....it is SUPER moisturizing....i had to adjust my protein usage because steaming infuses so much moisture - which is great for me - but i had always monitored my protein usage and limited it to once a month using henna until i started using the steamer - then i had to increase my protein usage in order to maintain balance. love it tho!! are you on the fence or leaning toward one over the other yet?

@Maracujá And when you deep condition with heat, are you using a heat cap, overhead dryer, etc?

@coyacoy How do you deep condition?

Newtogrow

Thank you ladies of 4b, I have a love/hate relationship with my hair and I am so blessed to belong to this hair forum who inspires me to keep keeping on!!!!

OP, thanks for mentioning the ceramides...I've been reading up and looking to incorporate them into my regimen. The only oil I have right now is canola and a whole lot of it!!!! I mixed it with coconut oil and have been using it with my Knot Today Leave in. I use castor oil on my roots to soften my hair after it air dries. I'll post pics later from my other computer.

Just wanted to join the army and express my gratitude!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Hi ladies!

I am loving all of the pictures/ positivity in this thread!!

I plan on cowashing tomorrow/ banding and then lightly blowing out my hair tomorrow.
Friday I am going into a sew in and will hide my hair for the rest of the summer.

Its been fun playing in it for the last couple of months, but its time to put it away.

I'll post pics later this week.

yaya24

This is my most recent length check from last Friday.
My hair was banded then lightly flat ironed.

PlatinumBronze

Living my life like its Platinum!
How often are you ladies using protein? My hair feels super duper soft and moisturized. I'm still trying to figure out how to balance things being all natural. Since I've washed & conditioned on Monday I've retwist my hair with Shea moisture curl smoothie (last night), coconut oil used to unravel the twist, and I've used wave nouveau once to moisturise. I can't wait until I figure out what's okay and not okay.

beana

How often are you ladies using protein?

I'd like to know too. I have only done 2 moderate protein treatments in the past year and a handful of light reconstructor treatments.

When i relaxed i needed heavy protein every month or so.

How often do you ladies use protein and what conditioner do you use?

TIA

Barbara

Princess
Imani:

Yes, I get compliments from time to time from my stylist and other people. Now if I can only have salon results each and every day, as if I was still going to the salon. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
coyacoy I'm so late!

I'm literally on the fence between a steamer and overhead dryer. I haven't used heat at all on my hair journey, so I thought having a dryer would force me to dry different styles as well as deep condition. Every steamer post tells me that the machine is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm very torn.

FAMUDva

I'm supposedly 4a, so I guess I can't be in this challenge... but I have the same goals. I wish you all luck! Thanks for all the beautiful pics :)

bride91501

How often are you ladies using protein?

I started my journey thinking I didn't need any protein, then I graduated to monthly protein treatments, now I use a weekly mild reconstructor. I also use MT every other day on my scalp.

It's taken me a year to figure out that my hair actually enjoys regular light protein, and that it's been very helpful in my retention.

faithVA

How often are you ladies using protein? My hair feels super duper soft and moisturized. I'm still trying to figure out how to balance things being all natural. Since I've washed & conditioned on Monday I've retwist my hair with Shea moisture curl smoothie (last night), coconut oil used to unravel the twist, and I've used wave nouveau once to moisturise. I can't wait until I figure out what's okay and not okay.

I have been trying to figure this out as well. I bought the aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and it felt ok but I started shedding like crazy. So far I think protein in my shampoo, oils and a small amount in my products seem to be enough for my hair.

I was excited about doing protein treatments on a regular basis but my experence with direct treatments has been hti or miss. I may try the aphogee 2 minute again in September but I just plan on seeing how my hair feels.

bride91501

I just realized I didn't update this thread with my most recent "length check" (if you can even call it that lol).

I didn't really feel like doing an update at my 1 year nappiversary, but I knew I needed to document the event lol.

OK, so here's my flat ironed pic from my 6 month length check in DECEMBER 2010:

And here's my "pulled down" length check from JULY 2011

It's growing ya'll :) I'm just happy I've figured out a plan for my hair that works, and I've vowed to myself that I'm not gonna *** it up!

Happy growing ladies!

faithVA

I just realized I didn't update this thread with my most recent "length check" (if you can even call it that lol).

I didn't really feel like doing an update at my 1 year nappiversary, but I knew I needed to document the event lol.

OK, so here's my flat ironed pic from my 6 month length check in DECEMBER 2010:

And here's my "pulled down" length check from JULY 2011

It's growing ya'll :) I'm just happy I've figured out a plan for my hair that works, and I've vowed to myself that I'm not gonna *** it up!

Happy growing ladies!

That's some fantastic growth in 6 months. I hope I have growth like that. :yep: Yes, i want to copy cat. :lol:

Ok, so I know you probably posted what you found to work in this thread, but would you share again. Please :grin:

It's definitely working.

yaya24

Great growth @bride91501!

I am currently weaved up for the next 3 months. Hopefully I am surprised with at least an inch in October.

EDIT*********
At the bolded...
I made it ALL of 1 month :lol:

CURRENTLY Weave free.
Sew ins are NOT my thing.
Wigs are the best PS for me..

I will be getting senegelese twists in October :grin:

Last edited:

Imani

I stretched a few pieces and I think I'm about 1.5 to 2 inches from APL, I'm so excited. That won't make me super long by board standards, lol. But it will be long to me.

This growing out thing can be frustrating. With shrinkage it doesn't really feel like my hair is growing, so in between getting my hair straightened, its hard to stay motivated bc I can't see the growth.

Random side note, like wow, I can't leave my hair loose and kinky ever. I took down a plait to length check, lazily re did it, and some hair was hanging lose. So I start playing with it and just ended up with all sorts of knots, it was not a good look. I'm like, geez, why does my hair knot up so easily. If it isn't wet with oil/conditioner, moisturizer or something on it, its tangle city.

faithVA

I stretched a few pieces and I think I'm about 1.5 to 2 inches from APL, I'm so excited. That won't make me super long by board standards, lol. But it will be long to me.

This growing out thing can be frustrating. With shrinkage it doesn't really feel like my hair is growing, so in between getting my hair straightened, its hard to stay motivated bc I can't see the growth.

Random side note, like wow, I can't leave my hair loose and kinky ever. I took down a plait to length check, lazily re did it, and some hair was hanging lose. So I start playing with it and just ended up with all sorts of knots, it was not a good look. I'm like, geez, why does my hair knot up so easily. If it isn't wet with oil/conditioner, moisturizer or something on it, its tangle city.

I know that APL isn't long by this board's standards but I'm with you, it will feel long. I put kinky twists in and they were just APL and that seemed like a lot of hair. I don't even wear BSL length extensions :lol: I keep cutting them off.

I also feel you on the shrinkage and it not feeling like its growing. I think a lot of us SL ladies are feeling that way now. But december should be soooo exciting. :woohoo: I hope :look:

ceecy29

I straightened my hair last Thursday and even though I was sad and disappointed because I hadn't retained anything since I last straightened November 2010 (in fact it appears shorter), I got weave checked when I wore my straight hair out on Saturday. I was at a cook out and If I counted correctly, I was weave checked at least 7 times, by both male and female. I wasn't mad though lol!

I've decided to switch to a mainly joico regimen (took advantage of the ulta sale while I was out in Maryland). Straightening for the second time has shown me that my ends need some help. They are dry (the stylist said so and I could hear it too) and they still stick together even when straight. Every strand is split and has ssks. I just want to shave my whole head off but we'll see what joico can do before I go that route.