Naturals who never had long hair before...

hopeful

AllAboutTheHair said:
This is the longest my hair has ever been. I keep shocking my whole family with the growth that I am achieving... I think it's pretty cool and kind of funny. They thought I was acting weird washing my hair all the time and walking around with a plastic bag on my head twice a week, but it all paid off. :)

Thanks so much for the inspiration! Your hair is lovely.

hopeful

beyondcute said:
Well even as children its a shorter distance to waist length. If we took the same hair off a child and put it on an adult it would be substantially shorter. WIth that said yes my hair was a nice length when I was younger but you haev to remember I was 4 fett adn some change at its longest point :lol:. I think all hai rwill grow long when its taken care of. My aunts hair has never been long. Ever. Even as a child. But to look at her now you'd think it was always long. Hers is mid back 4a natural. My computer is acting funny but Ill see if I can scan some pics and send them to you of her. She says going natural helped her hair to grow and wearing a French roll (old school). I'd categorize her French roll as protective styling ;)

Thanks beyondcute. I would love to see your aunt's pics.:)

cece22

I am in the same boat as op I would like to hear more stories of the people who never had long hair relaxed or natural who grew their hair out. I believe that mines will grow we were all meant to have a head full of healthy hair at any length. It is the misinformation that keeps our hair short.

Last edited:

Gryphyn

I don't really qualify as one who grew long hair after going natural, YET. However, my last relaxer was in February 2005, and when my stretch my hair out now it's the longest I ever remember it being. :)

I wish my mom had taken pics of my hair when she first relaxed it (when I was 8) so I could compare my hair to that length.

hopeful

Kiwi said:
I don't really qualify as one who grew long hair after going natural, YET. However, my last relaxer was in February 2005, and when my stretch my hair out now it's the longest I ever remember it being. :)

I wish my mom had taken pics of my hair when she first relaxed it (when I was 8) so I could compare my hair to that length.

:clap: Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing.:)

hopeg80

Wow, where was I when this thread was started, I was kinda wondering the same thing. :look:

Sorry, I don't have an on-line journal to show my progress, but since I have been natural my hair is at it's longest. A little past shoulder length in the back and almost shoulder in the front. I hope that it will get even longer so I can prove to everybody that "yes my hair is nappy, but it is also longer than yours!":lachen: LOL

vaqtea

hopeg80 said:
Wow, where was I when this thread was started, I was kinda wondering the same thing. :look:

Sorry, I don't have an on-line journal to show my progress, but since I have been natural my hair is at it's longest. A little past shoulder length in the back and almost shoulder in the front. I hope that it will get even longer so I can prove to everybody that "yes my hair is nappy, but it is also longer than yours!":lachen: LOL

Okay this statement had me rolling :lachen:

curlyj

I've wondered this for some time too, Hopeful. As a child I was always somewhere between SL and APL hair, but always healthy. Most of the naturals I know who have long hair mostly longer than APL hair have been natural for 10+ years. So I KNOW that it is certainly possible for us all to reach our goals, I think we need to just give it some time.

I remember reading Wanakee tips and she says it takes about 2-3years to grow long hair...

Attachments

• lhcf.jpg
    lhcf.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN1569.JPG
    DSCN1569.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 32

caltron

After I first relaxed my hair at 13, it would always break before it got to neck length. Most of the time it was ear length, 4-5 inches long. Pressing my hair left me with neck length hair, breaking off before the shoulders. Even light texturizing left me with breakage on the nape. I now know after years of trial and error that any harsh chemicals and high heat will break my hair.

My hair is 4a, thick, tightly coiled, but the strands are really fine. I think my fine strands make my hair more fragile than other nappy heads. On the plus side, it is very manageable. It is very easy to detangle and easy to style even with the tight naps.

hopeful

caltron said:
After I first relaxed my hair at 13, it would always break before it got to neck length. Most of the time it was ear length, 4-5 inches long. Pressing my hair left me with neck length hair, breaking off before the shoulders. Even light texturizing left me with breakage on the nape. I now know after years of trial and error that any harsh chemicals and high heat will break my hair.

My hair is 4a, thick, tightly coiled, but the strands are really fine. I think my fine strands make my hair more fragile than other nappy heads. On the plus side, it is very manageable. It is very easy to detangle and easy to style even with the tight naps.

Yes, this describes my nape/kitchen area to a tee. The rest of my hair strands are not fine like the nape area. For years hairdressers and I approached this hair like it was strong when it was actually the weakest. That hair cannot tolerate any chemicals or heat or it will break off everytime. I can't wait to see my hair's full potential without the vicious cycle of chemical damage. Now that I am natural I can finally see how pretty and soft my hair in that area is.

How long is your hair now? Have you finally overcome the breakage?

ETA: I started getting a relaxer at 13 as well.

Last edited:

hopeful

hopeg80 said:

Thanks for sharing your story hopeg80:).

caltron

hopeful said:
How long is your hair now? Have you finally overcome the breakage?

ETA: I started getting a relaxer at 13 as well.

It's a little past armpit now. The breakage has stopped and was confined to the nape. I can't wait until the texturized part grows out!

hopeful

caltron said:
It's a little past armpit now. The breakage has stopped and was confined to the nape. I can't wait until the texturized part grows out!

That's wonderful caltron! A little past armpit? LOL I would not know how to act:lol:. I've just been trying to get to SL my whole darn life:look:.

luv04

i had past bra strap hair ..but now im a transitioner to natural and its def. shorter than chin length... at first it took sum time getting used to the new length but then im in braids now and im hanging in there for a year so hopefully thing will work out...for me on the natural side ...but it took sum time for me to grow it out...but ive always had thick hair whether long, med or short..i can really see that now but i look forward to a natural head of hair..happy healthy growing ladies

scribblescrabble2

I didn't have long hair as a kid either, and the longest my hair has been as an adult is around 13 inches in certain areas of my head. The front and sides of my hair are problem areas, as it hasn't gotten longer than 8 inches.

The reasons why my natural hair hasn't gotten very long is because I keep cutting it and going back to chemicals (mostly hair color), but now I am committed to putting my scissors away and leaving all chemicals alone.

FineChyna

i had long hair as a child when i didn't have a relaxer and once i started relaxing my hair was breaking off a soon as it got shoulder length. never failed. once i stopped perming my hair has no serious problems. my hair is like 3inches past my shoulder now i believe!

FloridaSunshine

Okay... I never ever had long hair or even medium length hair as a child always, short. Why? Chemicals!!! So now as a natural my hair is longer than it has ever been in my life, as I am currently shoulder length and have not posted any updated pictures, but I am a firm believer that my hair can not handle chemicals.

So yes, without making the sacrafice to go natural I would have never achieved the length that I currently have. My hair is soft, fine and thin and I took me years to figure out what my hair needed, TLC. If there was hope for me then their is hope for anyone. I will be posting new pics after Christmas.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
This has to be most inspirational thread I've ever came across. :) Beautiful hair ladies. :clapping:

eboniwoman has a great album and she is a natural. :)

Hi Ladies!
Like many of you I never had hair this long in my entire life. The most my hair would reach was between SL and APL (closer to SL). For years my hair would hover at this length because I didn't deep condition at all and as for daily leave-in, now that's a joke. I really started to take care of my hair when I noticed that my classmate's hair always looked healthy. She deep conditioned once a month when she went to the hairdresser (incidentally I was the one who sent her there) and used a leave-in daily.

I started doing the same and my hair would go nearer to APL, but I still struggled with loads of split ends. Then 2 years ago I came to know of hairboards and my hair has thrived since. It is now at BSL, something I never thought possible. And honestly, I haven't been as diligent as some of you here.

I'm trying to catch up another classmate of mine who is currently at waistlength. I'm only doing it to see if I can actually achieve it. Hair that long is truly inspirational but to me that would be too much of a hassle. I've boxed people with my puffs while on ward rounds and for a while got them caught in the door while winding up my car window :eek: (still trying to figure out this one).

But I'm willing to see where this journey takes me. Sorry I don't have any pictures.:)

Hair Iam

I only had medium length before age 12, then the perm.
I now know I was never ment to have a perm. My hair was always dead and & lifeless.
My flat ironed or blown dry is all it takes for a permed look & feel. Twice in my life I had hair brushing shoulder length . In both cases, I ran to cut it short to give it body:ohwell: . My hair is at the longest health place it has ever been in my adult life. No chemicals needed,my natural hair has been such a blessing;) .
I must always give God the glory for LHCF and the wisdom I have gained. I see bra stap by the end of 2007.

rosie

Not gonna say that my hiar is long and all, but it is a little longer than APL.

As a child, I always waned longer hair. I really wanted long hair. Hair that brushed my collar or longer. But mine never did.

Since going natural, I have the hair that I always wanted. Healthy, thick and past my collar.

I wear twists all the time, 'cause that's what I like. I am just starting to get into the habit of styling my hair in other ways. I have flat twists in the front and 2s twists in the back. All pinned up in a nice updo. For me that is major.

Usually I wear my twists for 4 weeks and they draw up and look so short, and people don't realize how long my hair actually is.

I do have pictures in my fotki from Easter 2006 when I press my hair out.

I cannot compare to many of the women on this board. THey have lush, pretty thick long, beautiful hair. I get by with mine. And it works for me. I get compliments on it sometimes. I get comments, too. But I don't listen to either, b/c it's how I like it.

And dh (and dds) like it too. He thinks its sexy.

Country gal

I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder if I will have the length I always dreamed of now that I am natural. It seem with the perm I would plateau. I think the longest my hair was medium length/ little pass shoulder length. I plan on flat ironing soon to see how much lenght I have. I know my hair is growing very nicely. I am hoping to finally get bra strap length.

What is APL?