Now Forming an Army of SUPER-LONG HAIR 4B (or mostly 4b) NATURALS!! Come on in!

faithVA

Thanks @faithVA. Since I found LHCF, I never do anything on "naked" hair...there's always something up in there to keep it moisturized :grin:. I applied my leave-in (SM Restorative Conditioner), sealed with WGO/castor oil, then set the twists using homemade flaxseed gel. They were done on hair that had been air dried in braids for 2 days (was feeling lazy lol).

I've looked at so many pictures had to go back and look again. :blush: Very nice. :lick: I do mini twists a lot. I may give that a try - leave in, castor oil and then gel.

TraciChanel

Hi Ladies,

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I typically wear my hair in a PS for a couple months at a time. But, when I take my braids loose, I'd like to know if anyone can suggest a conditioner (or leave-in or detangler) that gives the most slip. I currently use Taliah Waajid and it helps a lot w/ tangles, but it still does tangle some. Any suggestions? BTW, I won't be taking my braids loose until the end of April/early May so I just want to be prepared in advance:wink2:

Thanks in advance!

HHG

Platinum

Haven't checked in a while but I'm going to start cowashing daily since the weather is getting warm now. I noticed that I got good growth and retention when I cowashed daily last summer.

Keep up the good work ladies!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Just started cowashing/ rinsing more frequently now that the weather has started to heat up.

How is everyone doing??

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Hi ladies! I've been subscribed to this thread for the longest time but realized yesterday that I've never posted in it. I'm a 4a/b natural, been natural for nearly 5 years and am now BSL (I will post pics asap). Although I'm happy I've achieved this length, I'm not too pleased with my ends, they're thin and lifeless. My regimen is simple: I shampoo every four weeks and dc for 45min with heat and then style my hair (usually two strand twists). Right now I'm looking into tweaking my regimen so I can have thick, long and luscious hair!

bride91501

Congrats @Maracujá & @Pooks for making BSL!!! That's so exciting!!

Before I joined LHCF, I don't think I'd ever seen kinky hair (that wasn't in locks) that was that long. So whether you realize it or not, you guys are trailblazers for alot of naturals- THANK YOU!!

And oh...before I forget, and I only say this with love.....

:needpics:

:grin:

Last edited:

Pooks

Congrats @Maracujá & @Pooks for making BSL!!! That's so exciting!!

Before I joined LHCF, I don't think I'd ever seen kinky hair (that wasn't in locks) that was that long. So whether you realize it or not, you guys are trailblazers for alot of naturals- THANK YOU!!

Thanks honey!

And oh...before I forget, and I only say this with love.....

:needpics:

:grin:

^^ LOL. I know, I know... I haven't had a chance to take any yet. When I do, I'll be back.

yaya24

My most recent length chks-- yAY im almost back at Full APL (the length I was before my 2009 BC):

yodie

Hi ladies. I want in on this inspirational thread. I want to learn alot from you ladies.
I'm a fine, natural 4a/4b. My hair has never been long. I have tried everything and I don't think I ever really knew how to take care of my hair, even after spending years on this forum and trying everything under the sun.

My usual regimen was wash, dc, blowdry, press and curl (every 2 wks)
HEAT, HEAT and still more HEAT.

Here's what I've been doing recently and seeing results.

Added biotin, MN and moe grow oil.
Stopped using direct heat. I still go to the salon, but now I get a rollerset. My stylist does a good job with this. I don't wear the set because the curls are short. I apply jojoba oil, mousse and do about 8 flat twists. I take them out and wear my hair in a protective chignon.

I'm also teaching myself to rollerset my hair at home on off weeks. I follow the same routine above. I'm so proud of myself for this because I never thought I could get my hair straight with a rollerset.

I'm challenging myself to stay away from direct heat for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

Valerie

This is a very good thread, I want to join also. My strands are fine, however my hair looks thick. My hair pictures are on my blog. I use on my hair black castor oil, mixed with Mega Tek on my hair daily.

wednesday

This thread is inspiring. I wore my hair in mini twist for a week and experienced ALOT of knots and breakage taking them down just now. Also i noticed many splits in my bangs so a trimmed them (about half an inch). I don't know what i am doing wrong, i really don't... i constantly get split ends, i'm thinking it's because i wear braids/twists with extensions and i'm can't moisturize my ends properly. I made a decision to try to wear my hair without extensions and the past week was a disaster. I don't know any good protective styles that work for me and make me feel confident and attractive. Bleh...but i hope this thread will help me. I have chin/shoulder length 4b/c hair, low density, very porous, thin weak strands. I've tried Henna twice, i'm not sure if i like it, it made my hair pretty brittle but my strands did feel slightly thicker. I like Aphogee 2 step protien. My routine out of braids is prepoo/wash/dc/put in big chunky twist and wear a hat all week until next wash day. But it's getting too hot for all that. I love wearing puffs but i can't retain length with so much manipulation. I've retained the most length wearing yarn braids but i haven't really given the whole, wearing my hair out without added hair, thing a chance. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

wednesday

My most recent length chks-- yAY im almost back at Full APL (the length I was before my 2009 BC):

I am so inspired by these pictures. My hair is just slightly longer than your May 2010 pictures. APL has seemed so impossible for me to achieve. I hope i can get there!

Boipuso

WOW! Ur hair looks great. Very inspiring! I'm about the same length that you were in May 2010, but I feel like my hair just isnt growing fast enough. How did you get so much length between 2010 and 2011?

yaya24

Thanks ladies-- Reposting my PM to a member

Right now I'm on a growth mission. My reggi is pretty low maintenance and simple (to me).

- I keep my hair in 2 strand twists, cornrows or flat twists for 5-6 weeks at a time and wear wigs as my PS of choice.. I do my entire regimen while "braided up".

- I Baggy every night (whole head)

- I steam with a moisturizing conditioner 1x a week.

- Rinse or cowash my braids as needed (usually 1x or less a week)

- I moisturize 2xs a day with my modified kimmaytube leave in

After 5-6 weeks (the day before my new set of braids/cornrows) I take down my old set, detangle, shampoo and DC with protein treat and steam.

Then I repeat the whole thing.

Internal:
o 80- 96 oz water daily

vitamins (I only take vitamins 4 days a week):

o Geritol Complete (1daily- multi vitamin /multi mineral supplement)
o Vitamin C (1250 mg daily)
o Horsetail (880 mg daily)
o Folic acid (400 mcg daily)
o Garlic supplements
o Chlorella 1-3 grams daily
o CVS Hair, skin and nails (1/2 the recommended dosage: 1 pill daily)
o B-Complex 100 (1 pill)
o MSM 3000 mg
o Vitamin D3 4000 IU

External Topical Growth Aides:
o 1 tspn sulfur
o 1 tspn MT
o An oil (my options are out of crisco oil, wheat germ oil or old school aphogee EFA oil)

I add aloe vera juice to the mix to make it runny and add the mix to a spray bottle. Spray on scalp at night and in the morning

HHG!!

HoneyLove

Love, love, LOVE IT!! So much beauty!! I'm joining :lick:

As for me, currently SL
Goal: MBL... WL stretched would be lovely.

I'm revamping my regimen, but seem to be pretty content with using Wen conditioner as a cowash. I keep my hair twisted and pinned up for the most part. I'll cowash and detangle (now) about 1x a month/every 4-5 weeks (may start pushing it to 5-6). My hair seems to be retaining its length well because of it. I moisturize at least 1x a day (sometimes 2x) and will use Oyin, Qhemet, or Kimmaytube leave-in. Next up, I'll be looking for info on ceramides.

I drink tons and tons of water... it's really the only beverage I do drink outside of orange juice, rice and soymilk (with cereal/oatmeal). I take Biotin, Folic Acid, and prenatals daily. At one point I was taking Omega 3s... not sure why I stopped.

Ooooo, I think I might have found my hair twin :grin: :lick:

yaya24, This might be dumb.... what's a baggy and how do you steam your hair? :perplexed Your regimen seems almost like mine and your texture too so I'm wondering how my hair might take to your regimen.

And I'm just now considering going the wig/weave route over my PS, but I've never worn any before so I'm completely clueless... what kind do you prefer (i.e. sew-in, etc.) if you don't mind.

Imani

I changed my long term goal from APL to MBL. So I will be a super long 4b natural...one day (MBL is definitely super long to me). Right now I'm grazing SL.

I plan to continue wearing half wigs until the end of 2011. Then once I get more length I will start also wearing twist. I will continue to straighten about 4-6 times/year. And get a professional trim 2-3 times/year.

yaya24

Love, love, LOVE IT!! So much beauty!! I'm joining :lick:

As for me, currently SL
Goal: MBL... WL stretched would be lovely.

I'm revamping my regimen, but seem to be pretty content with using Wen conditioner as a cowash. I keep my hair twisted and pinned up for the most part. I'll cowash and detangle (now) about 1x a month/every 4-5 weeks (may start pushing it to 5-6). My hair seems to be retaining its length well because of it. I moisturize at least 1x a day (sometimes 2x) and will use Oyin, Qhemet, or Kimmaytube leave-in. Next up, I'll be looking for info on ceramides.

I drink tons and tons of water... it's really the only beverage I do drink outside of orange juice, rice and soymilk (with cereal/oatmeal). I take Biotin, Folic Acid, and prenatals daily. At one point I was taking Omega 3s... not sure why I stopped.

Ooooo, I think I might have found my hair twin :grin: :lick:

@yaya24, This might be dumb.... what's a baggy and how do you steam your hair? :perplexed Your regimen seems almost like mine and your texture too so I'm wondering how my hair might take to your regimen.

And I'm just now considering going the wig/weave route over my PS, but I've never worn any before so I'm completely clueless... what kind do you prefer (i.e. sew-in, etc.) if you don't mind.

@naturalallure,

Hey there 4b sis :wave:

I baggy by covering my hair with a shower cap and then covering that with a bonnet at night. I learned about bagging my hair when I first started my relaxed journey in 2008. At that time I only used a plastic bag on my ends like the woman in this fotki.

Here is a google search with tons of info on baggying

In 2009 I purchased a stand up steamer from LCL beauty. Its still going strong, and one of the best hair investments I have made to date. :yep:

TBH, I prefer wigs over sew ins. I like having full access to my scalp/ hair.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Hi Ladies,

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I typically wear my hair in a PS for a couple months at a time. But, when I take my braids loose, I'd like to know if anyone can suggest a conditioner (or leave-in or detangler) that gives the most slip. I currently use Taliah Waajid and it helps a lot w/ tangles, but it still does tangle some. Any suggestions? BTW, I won't be taking my braids loose until the end of April/early May so I just want to be prepared in advance:wink2:

Thanks in advance!

HHG
I really like Herbal Essence Totally Twisted conditioner. I use it all the time to detangle on wet hair. Good stuff.:lick:

Oh My Goodness! You have given me so much inspiration with this update! I am currently at where your May 2010 update is. If I could be almost BSB by this time next year like you are I would have to do a dance or something. When did you first make APL?

yaya24

Ravengirl I agree-- this entire thread is pretty encouraging!!

My April 2011 length chk was from 4.15.11. That was my first time checking length in a while. My goal is full APL by December 2010. Right now I am not claiming APL.

I'm allllmost there. :yep:

Pooks

The current size of my fro. Official length shots coming in a month.

I was watching one of your early videos yesterday and how far you've come in terms of retaining your length is wonderful.

That's why I love taking my pictures, they really show how far you've come.

bride91501

I literally have to calm myself down going through this thread...all the updates are so exciting!

yaya24 - I am in awe of how much you've been able to retain since you posted your flat iron and trim pics just a few months ago. GORGEOUS! *off to find some MT to add to my sulfur mix*
And we're gonna send a mob after you if you don't claim APL AND BSB immediately! :grin:

LovelyNaps26 - that fro is EVERYTHING. I mean the stuff a little nappy girl's dreams are made of :yep: Are you sure you're not longer than BSB?

Pooks - can you post a link to your latest YT tutorial here for the style challenged among us (like me lol)? Thanks hun :)

bride91501

Hey miss lady- I'm sorry for taking so. Long to respond. As a mother to 3 girls with heads full of hair, Easter in our house is literally a week long event :perplexed

Re the twists, they were pretty low skill. I stretched my hair in braids after washing and detangling. Before braiding, I applied my leave in and WGO/castor oil blend to seal. When the braids were dry (2 days later actually), I took down each one, applied homemade flaxseed gel, and put in the mini twists.

HTH