Not Protective Styling

Jynkx

I have been wearing protective styles since forever. I didnt even know what that was....lol. There is always threads about who IS going to wear their hair up outta the way. Is there anyone that has grown out their hair NOT doing protective styling ever?

locabouthair

There are people who dont protective style and their hair has grown. Sylver2 wears her hair done everyday and she's grown her hair almost to WSL. I do think that for some people protective styling might be needed.

STLCoverGirl

I never do protective styling and have grown my hair out. I did it purely out of vanity, lol...I think my head is too big to wear my hair in buns.:grin:

Last edited:

Jynkx

im glad to hear from you all. its just that i always hear about protecting the hair. and i was like everyone cant be wearing buns and braids.

audacity.

good thread, jynkx! i wondered this, too. the long-hairs always say that they don't proctective style BUT how did they wear their hair to get it that length?

for me, once i reach my goal length, i don't plan to PS as often. BUT to get to that goal, i feel likt PSing is essential.

Jynkx

its funny.....cuz im known for my bun. i wear it 24/7/365. everyone used to tell me how bad it was for my hair to always be up like that. then i found the hair boards.

ladylibra

i wear my hair out almost all the time. sometimes a puff or a bun, every now and then when i have money and can get a competent braider i get cornrows. i can do my own box braid/kinky twist extensions now but man it takes forever. :lachen:

so... usually i look like my siggy.

BillyJay

I stopped protective styling so much. I usually make up for it at night by baggying to retain moisture.

I'm not sure how that will work out because I just started.

JustKiya

i wear my hair out almost all the time. sometimes a puff or a bun, every now and then when i have money and can get a competent braider i get cornrows. i can do my own box braid/kinky twist extensions now but man it takes forever. :lachen:

OT - what did you do to your hair in your avi? Pressed it? Wig? Cut it? :grin:

Ms. Plain Jane

Did you cut your hair?!!?!?!

hopeful

I never do protective styling and have grown my hair out. I did it purely out of vanity, lol...I think my head is too big to wear my hair in buns.:grin:

I'm glad you don't wear protective styles--girl you cannot hide all of that beautiful hair--this is the first time I am seeing your fotki and I was blown away!

NYAmicas

Seeker
I only wear protective styles when I'm like 10 weeks post and up or I feel like bantu knots. I dont do buns or anything like that. My hair is usually flatironed and hanging down.

chebaby

i hate protective styles. i love it when my hair is flowing and now that im apl and 2-3 inches from bsl im loving it. i tried to do buns and pin ups thinking it would help me. so on a monday, tuesday, and wednsday i wore my hair up. wednsday night i always co wash and i lost too much hair when i co washed that time so i never pin up or bun EVER which is bad because where i work we are supposed to have our hair up, but it aint happening.

foxieroxienyc

*Raises hand*

Gosh I swear I'm the board misfit. I love to flat iron and do it weekly and I also don't do protective styling much anymore.

I stopped wearing my hair up all the time a while ago. I do it from time to time as I feel I want to. But I've personally chosen to ENJOY my hair during my journey. Of course with this choice it takes extra special care and attention to make sure everything remains on point. As you can see from below, my hair is thriving.

Yellowflowers

I don't wear protective styles either. Now sometimes I might wear a slamming updo :yep:or a single french braid when I'm in the mood but I don't wear protective style as a part of hair care.:nono:

TLC1020

I slowed down with protective styles to let my hair breathe, but then I noticed my hair wasn't acting right, so I put it back in a bun this morning.