No need for setting lotions?

greAtness333

Does anyone set their hair in curls or rollerset without setting lotion? I used to use it but now I'm wondering if I will need it in the future. If you don't use it, how long does your style last? If you've done both, which do you prefer?

When I was younger, we used to do roller sets with just water, no setting lotion. The curls would come out fine and they wouldn't be as crispy as when using setting lotions. I think using a leave in only should be okay.

I never use setting lotion anymore. I used to, but realized my hair sets exactly the same w/o it. I notice no difference in the length of time the style lasts. Please, keep in mind I have thick, wiry hair. I think fine hair would be a different story.

Somethings I use it and sometimes I don't but I am leaning on not using it anymore. The pictures of my roller set in my album is w/o setting lotion and I like the way it felt

i dont use setting lotion. i just apply a leave in and roll it. i like it better w/o.. setting lotions leave my hair hard and crispy

I don't use setting lotions, they seem to leave my hair hard and crispy as others above have said. A better idea is to use a moisturizing leave in and maybe a tad bit of serum on your ends before you rollerset.

I wasted my money buying setting lotion. I just use plain ole' water or moisturizer and it does the job and more. My curls come out soft and don't have a crispy feeling to them.

I use leave in conditioners when I roller set because I don't like crunchy curls. Leave in conditioners make my roller sets turn out nice and soft.

When I go to the domincan salons, they just use water to re-wet and apply leave in conditioner.

i have never used a setting lotion, only leave in conditioners.....
smile.gif
smile.gif

I used to roller set often and I used a liquid leave-in conditioner. It left my hair extremely shiny, soft and bouncy.
smile.gif

Before I started setting my own hair, hairdressers would use setting lotions on it, which made it crispy.

[ QUOTE ]
Queenie said:
I never use setting lotion anymore. I used to, but realized my hair sets exactly the same w/o it. I notice no difference in the length of time the style lasts. Please, keep in mind I have thick, wiry hair. I think fine hair would be a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you all for your responses. I was thinking the same thing.

I use Keracare's setting lotion and I like it because it protects the hair from heat... makes it a little shinier and I don't have problems with crispy curls because I don't use so much. It also helps my hair lay down better and not frizz so badly. I like using it...but its good to know that I don't have to
smile.gif

my hair feels softer without setting lotion, but after wasting an hour under the dryer and attempting a roller wrap...I went to get the mail and came back and already had no curl and had started to frizz! arrrrgghhhh.....

So I think because of the humidity here, if I want any kind of hold and to help with frizz, I will need to use a setting lotion.

It should be fine as long as Im not heavy handed with it. I really liked design essentials foaming wrap lotion and plan to buy some more of that...

Back