NO Comb Method.

Do you practice the no combing method?

• Yes, I always practice no combing method.

Votes: 60 32.1%
  • Sometimes I practice it if it suits the occassion.

Votes: 69 36.9%
  • No, I would have too much tangles

Votes: 45 24.1%
  • No, I am used to using combs, brushes, etc.

Votes: 19 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nycutiepie

I'm a nocomber except for on wash days. I use the "Sylver2 Scarf Method" and it has worked miracles for me. I occasionally lightly rake the outer layer of my hair but for the most part, my hands are my comb. When I first joined the site I thought I would never be able to do it but once you start you become a pro. My hair has become much thicker from this. I'm a nocomber for life :grin:

katblack

I'm a nocomber except for on wash days. I use the "Sylver2 Scarf Method" and it has worked miracles for me. I occasionally lightly rake the outer layer of my hair but for the most part, my hands are my comb. When I first joined the site I thought I would never be able to do it but once you start you become a pro. My hair has become much thicker from this. I'm a nocomber for life :grin:

I know it seems as if each day my hair is becoming thicker and thicker. Sometimes it would feel as if I could see my scalp through my twists, but know it's lush!

Curlykale

I attribute the full u shape of my hair to no combing (=which, to me, means keeping the strands very lubricated and moisturized with ceramide and penetrating oils, castor oil, flax gel and conditioners) and air drying or going to sleep in a few braids.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I noticed another plus last night. Uh well, I used to detangle with the comb pretty gently, and stop as soon as I felt resistance but I find when you gently finger comb, your fingers detect tangles before it's too late. I find with combs, the only resistance you will feel is like when you barely have any slack left to try and work the knot out and that generally will leave you with a single strand knot. Like imagine trying to get a knot out of a shoe lace by just pulling the two strands. The knot will slide all the way down to the end where it can't slide anymore and the strings are too tight for you to really work the knot out. But if you started trying to work the knot out before it got tootight you would probably save your manicure and get it out with ease.

Great bump:yep: I've pretty much given up my comb (in the last 2 months or so) except if I'm going to flat iron...The bolded is the truth!! I'm relaxed and co wash often. I finger comb as my hair is air drying. I can only imagine the loads of unnecessary hair I've lost due to a comb:nono: However, I've just ordered two bone combs especially for when I flat iron and because I now have 'comb fear':look:

Avaya

If I wore my hair loose, no combing would be impossible. Since I keep my hair in twists, I can remove shed hairs with just my fingers. I haven't combed my hair since May.

kupenda

I tried no combing. But I'm too lazy for all that. I finger detangle some areas and comb through other areas based on the hair type and how underprocessed it is. I was afraid of my new growth for a long time. Up until maybe a month ago lol. So now I coat my hair in a slippery, medium thickness oil like grape seed or something lighter like Vatika Frosting and let it soak for a minute or two before before detangling. I also coat my fingers in oil. And I detangle at most twice a week

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

lustrous

i can't imagine getting shed hairs out efficiently without a comb. I'm relaxed but not bone straight and I use a big wide tooth comb on damp hair. even when i was natural i used a brush or comb. It was amazing for tangles and shed hair. for the relaxed no combers - do you refrain from wearing your hair in straight styles? I can imagine not combing bunned hair but hair that will be left down and straight? No combing introduces fuzz/flyways/tangles and an overall unkept look for me. how do you restore smoothness to your strands?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I am relaxed pretty bone straight ...if I'm wearing a straight style (which is almost never) I would be flat ironing first and in that case I would use a comb. Most of my styles are either buns or curls using pin curls or caruso's either of which I still finger comb and finger part.

keepithealthy

I only comb my hair on wash days right after deep conditioning...Other than that, a comb doesn't touch my hair when it is dry...it is one of the things that has helped me to retain length.

^^^Same here. If I decide to cw before wash day I just finger detangle in the shower with tons of cheapie conditioner. But I NEVER use a comb/brush on my hair when it is dry.

Bublin

I havent.combed my hair in over.a year...judge me. Lol

@hair4romheaven

Please tell us more. I'm wondering if certain textures would benefit from this more than others. My hair is full of tiny spirals that really would benefit from no combing but at the same time the shed hair really gets caught up in it.

Last edited:

melissa-bee

I haven't combed my hair in a while. I'm able to pull my shed hairs out, I'm surprised how easy it is considering my hair texture. It seems like a hassle to comb or brush may hair.

lilyofthenile

I tried the no comb method for some time and it just didn't work for my hair. My hair was never properly detangled and I would end up with a lot of knots and tangles.

Wanderland

Wash twice weekly but I only comb once per week for detangling and to remove shed hair. This is done on dc'd hair or hair with leave in. I smooth hair in the shower every time it's wet, and also dry detange with my hands. They are by far my favorite hair tool.

hair4romheaven

@hair4romheaven

Please tell us more. I'm wondering if certain textures would benefit from this more than others. My hair is full of tiny spirals that really would benefit from no combing but at the same time the shed hair really gets caught up in it.

Bublin I don't wear my hair out. I have been wearing twist for a week then a twist out for 2-3 days. On the last day before my wash I part my hair in 4 sections. I then part one section as if you were putting in a relaxer and run my hand down the shaft of my hair as if my index finger and middle finger was a flat iron. I do this to feel the strands of my hair for bumps knots etc. when I find it I go and gently pull it apart. It takes about 20 min for my whole head. It was more when I first started. The key is keeping the hair moist and stretched all week before washing. I just started washing my hair loose by using the hair mud and literally have just a few to no tangles or knots so far. I hope this makes sense if let me know.

Bublin

@Bublin I don't wear my hair out. I have been wearing twist for a week then a twist out for 2-3 days. On the last day before my wash I part my hair in 4 sections. I then part one section as if you were putting in a relaxer and run my hand down the shaft of my hair as if my index finger and middle finger was a flat iron. I do this to feel the strands of my hair for bumps knots etc. when I find it I go and gently pull it apart. It takes about 20 min for my whole head. It was more when I first started. The key is keeping the hair moist and stretched all week before washing. I just started washing my hair loose by using the hair mud and literally have just a few to no tangles or knots so far. I hope this makes sense if let me know.

Thanks and this is interesting. I will get it a try and see how it goes.

EccentricRed

I actually stopped owning a comb for awhile, and I was using my Moms comb for parting purposes. I had to go buy my own because she would notice it was missing from time to time. I detangle with my hands because a comb is just doing too much overall pulling for my taste...

lilyofthenile

No comb method is 50/50 for me.

Some instances, it works for me, others, I just end up with worse tangles. I find that it works when my hair is getting braided for a style (if smoothness is unimportant).

It doesn't work for me, however, when my hair is not going to be twisted or braided, but left in a style which essentially leaves my hair exposed (pinned styles, ponytail etc).

I alternate between comb and no comb.

kupenda

I can only finger comb if I'm a few weeks post. After that, I'm hunting for my Denman. I ended up with a baby dreadloc last time I did no comb. So I detangle at least once a week. More depending on how I'm wearing my hair

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

sylver2

i never comb my hair when its dry. only on wash days with condtioner under running water. i don't even finger comb. the scarf does all my stylin/smoothing. as long as outside looks smooth i dont care. inside is another story...which i take care on wash day.

greenandchic

I discovered a dredlock last night too. :( Combs rip my hair out and not finger combing isn't working. I'm doomed!

Aireen

I don't like this method, my hair tangles and breaks since nails and/or nail polish can snag on the hair.

moonglowdiva

I do not comb my hair. I have manage to get finger styling down to an art. I mainly bun using the scarf method or braidout. Since I'm going natural I will have to monitor and adjust. Mentally I am natural I'm just trying to get some length so I won't have an ibtwa (itty, bitty teeny weeny afro). I detangle only when my hair is soaking wet loaded with condition and my denman. It works for me.

thecurlycamshow

I rarely use the comb. I never use the comb on dry hair. I found that finger combing works best for me since I can feel the tangles. I use the comb once a month for now but I'm thinking of further reducing that frequency. When I do use the comb it's on wet hair full of conditioner. I also find that since I have my steamer I don't have a lot of issues with tangles so finger detangling is super effective.