No Buy Bootcamp Challenge

Well I know that it's time for me to go through all my stuff and put a list together of the ones I will NOT be using agian and the ones I want to try for the future. I also know I want to wean myself off of as much commercial hair products as I can and use more natural/organic products. My list should become shorter and shorter as a result :crossfingers:, lol.

The product lines I want to keep using are:

Aubrey Organics
Jason Naturals
Ayurveda powders, henna and oils
Creme Of Nature Shampoos (green and red labels for as long as I can find them)
Miznai Hair Products
Alter Ego Garlic Treatment
Some v05/Tresemme cheapie conditioners for cowashing my hair
Aphogee 2 minute keratin treatment & Duo Tek
WEN Cleansing Conditioners

I want to try:

Abba Hair Products
Mastey Hair Products
Some Hairveda Products
ETA: Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo and Conditioner

After using up all the products I have left, I am going to commit to keeping my hair regimen simple:yep:. Tis all!!!

Last edited:
Well I know that it's time for me to go through all my stuff and put a list together of the ones I will NOT be using agian and the ones I want to try for the future. I also know I want to wean myself off of as much commercial hair products as I can and use more natural/organic products. My list should become shorter and shorter as a result :crossfingers:, lol.

The product lines I want to keep using are:

Aubrey Organics
Jason Naturals
Ayurveda powders, henna and oils
Creme Of Nature Shampoos (green and red labels for as long as I can find them)
Miznai Hair Products
Alter Ego Garlic Treatment
Some v05/Tresemme cheapie conditioners for cowashing my hair
Aphogee 2 minute keratin treatment & Duo Tek
WEN Cleansing Conditioners

I want to try:

Abba Hair Products
Mastey Hair Products
Some Hairveda Products

After using up all the products I have left, I am going to commit to keeping my hair regimen simple:yep:. Tis all!!!

This is what im looking to do also simplify my reggie and find my staples i already have a few, but something i know i will stick with as long as it works for me.

Goodmorning ladies its that time. Bootcamp has begun, I wish all of you the best of luck:grin:. I have to inventory my products today:look: to see what i have and what i don't use and get rid of it. And ladies if you have ordered products before midnight last night remember it doesn't count. So don't worry incoming orders from march are fine.

Okay, I bought some hair products but I technically didn't violate my personal no buy for rest of year challenge. I'm not supposed to buy for myself. I bought the Curly Travel Kit from Hairrules.com for my friend. She's gonna be my guinea pig.

Okay, my guardian hair angel doesn't even want me to buy hair products for my friend. In spite of their published on-line shipping policy, Hair Rules sent me an e-mail stating they will not ship to the address I provided. So I canceled the order. Oh well - their loss.

Tomorrow I'm facing the PJ Boogey-Man. I'm gonna crank up the Excel and start typing. I'll let y'all know the results.

I haven't started my spreadsheet yet (starting tonight) but I made an interesting find. After seeing the thread on using the Lustrasilk Cholesterol treatment for the Curlisto method I decided to add the Lustrasilk to my Things to Buy bookmark. Well, while doing a preliminary look at my stash guess what I found? Yep, I had a brand new never opened jar of that stuff. :spinning: I'm still on the fence but closer to the transitioning to natural side. So I'm going to save it for later.

:giggle: It will be ok.

Ivy i did the sheet once when i first went natural and it really is an eye opener. I might do it again. I know i have way less now than i did before.

That's what I'm hoping for by the end of this year - to have way less and to only have what I need.

Im done with my inventory its not as bad as i thought, but it can be better way better so when i finish a product im going to check it off the list if its not a staple i won't repurchase.

:spinning: DH and I went to Marshalls today. I was very close to purchasing some 100% pure silk scarves and realized that that is also a No Buy item. It's my birthday (April 5th) so I can purchase anything else I want. :grin: No, I won't purchase anything that's hair related.

Since viewing my inventory spreadsheet, I've lined up products for my next few shampoos. I'm really enjoying this challenge already. I will definitely use up the millions of products that I do have. :drunk:

Thank you La Colocha & my No Buy Bootcamp Challenge Sistas!

I'm not sure if I've been eliminated butttttttt.........

:drunk: I'm trying to prevent shedding soooooo I purchased:

Aubrey Organics GPB protein shampoo
Aubrey Organics GPB protein conditioner
Aubrey Organics White Camellia and Jasmine Shine conditioner--I've noticed it has bad reviews from this board...
Henna Neutral/Clear for conditioning purposes

Hey I really need the protein!!!!!!!!! :spinning:
Oh Lawd, I can hear the GPB calling my name:nono:
:ill: :jail:3 Months!!!!! Maaaane this sounds hard! :master::crossfingers:

:crying3::drunk2::poke::huh::whyme::wasntme::cry3::bud::pinocchio:arguing::dazed::flush::bricks::bangdesk::badgirl::bat::hot::help::killlurk::hardslap::eek::ninja::roadrunner:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

***Sigh***
I am trying to apply this challenge to everything hair related, but shoot, I need rollers/curl formers:ohwell:. I really do not mean to buy, but my rollers are too small and they are driving me crazy.
This is a matter of life and death for my hair because rollersetting seems to be the only way to style my hair these days.

So how do I deal with this?

Man! I almost forgot this challenge and I was going to make a KBB purchase today :(
I didn't. This is really hard and its only day one- I hope it gets easier

Man! I almost forgot this challenge and I was going to make a KBB purchase today :(
I didn't. This is really hard and its only day one- I hope it gets easier

It will get easier, I try to start early enough so everyone has a chance to get what they need. Remember ladies there are holiday passes, check my first post for the dates the 1st pass is april 10-12 which is fri,sat,sun. I hope this helps.

Things are going well here. I haven't even had the urge to purchase anything new, and I'm keeping myself out of threads about new products people are trying. I still need to purchase a good clarifying shampoo and leave-in conditioner as I still don't have either of them. However, I'm going to do some thorough research and make that purchase on the April 10th pass day.

Good afternoon ladies, I did good today i had to go to kmart to get some new gowns and i didn't even go by the hair isle but i bought 6 gowns and a purse:ohwell:.

Good afternoon ladies, I did good today i had to go to kmart to get some new gowns and i didn't even go by the hair isle but i bought 6 gowns and a purse:ohwell:.

Ummmm - did you plan on buying 6 gowns and a purse?

I know how you feel. My grocer has my favorite all purpose conditioner on sale (Nature's Gate Daily Use Conditioner). I'm really hoping there will be some left April 10th. Also, I went to another store to see how much Lustrasilk Cholesterol they had. The shelf was stocked full. Plus, I wanted to buy a baby brush for my edges. The rack was full of those too. So, amazingly, I didn't cheat and I stayed away from the clothes. I love clothes. I was in and out with out purchasing anything. But I plan on buying these hair products come April 10th.

I started going through my stash of hair products and I removed any thing were a -cone was near the top of the ingredient list. I did keep my Pureology and Smooth 'n Shine though. My hair likes it better when I don't put too many -cones in it. I discovered that this week after I blow-dried my hair this past Saturday. By Wednesday my hair didn't feel right. It was still soft but it looked dull. So I pulled out 4 different conditioners high in -cones and set them aside. I'm giving them away to my co-worker. Also, I had some leave-in conditioners that don't do anything for me either so one I'm giving away and the other I'm throwing away. By the end of this weekend I'll have 4 piles (keep, give away, throw away, and wait-n-see)

Ummmm - did you plan on buying 6 gowns and a purse?

I know how you feel. My grocer has my favorite all purpose conditioner on sale (Nature's Gate Daily Use Conditioner). I'm really hoping there will be some left April 10th. Also, I went to another store to see how much Lustrasilk Cholesterol they had. The shelf was stocked full. Plus, I wanted to buy a baby brush for my edges. The rack was full of those too. So, amazingly, I didn't cheat and I stayed away from the clothes. I love clothes. I was in and out with out purchasing anything. But I plan on buying these hair products come April 10th.

I started going through my stash of hair products and I removed any thing were a -cone was near the top of the ingredient list. I did keep my Pureology and Smooth 'n Shine though. My hair likes it better when I don't put too many -cones in it. I discovered that this week after I blow-dried my hair this past Saturday. By Wednesday my hair didn't feel right. It was still soft but it looked dull. So I pulled out 4 different conditioners high in -cones and set them aside. I'm giving them away to my co-worker. Also, I had some leave-in conditioners that don't do anything for me either so one I'm giving away and the other I'm throwing away. By the end of this weekend I'll have 4 piles (keep, give away, throw away, and wait-n-see)

Hey ivy I had to do away with my cone stuff too. They made my hair soft but after awhile like you my hair was dull and started feeling really dry in my crown area. And no i did not plan on buying 6 gowns and a purse. I only needed 2 gowns but then i just got one in every color they were on sale for $5.00 originally $15.00,thin,cool material for the summer and the purse was 30% off i think that's what got me. I really have to watch that too when i go in the store to only get what i came for, When i saw those gowns i wasn't even thinking about hair stuff:lachen:.

I was sooooo close to buying Karen's Body Beautiful stuff today- I tried to rationalize it by saying it was gonna be for moisturizing my body! -

Anywhoo I closed out my checkout screen and put the money I would have used towards my KBB purchase on decreasing my CC debt. So $80 in KBB instead went to my CC. I feel better about it.-I think whenever I get a REALLY strong urge, I will do that instead-for whatever amount I was thinking of spending. :)

Hey ivy I had to do away with my cone stuff too. They made my hair soft but after awhile like you my hair was dull and started feeling really dry in my crown area. And no i did not plan on buying 6 gowns and a purse. I only needed 2 gowns but then i just got one in every color they were on sale for $5.00 originally $15.00,thin,cool material for the summer and the purse was 30% off i think that's what got me. I really have to watch that too when i go in the store to only get what i came for, When i saw those gowns i wasn't even thinking about hair stuff:lachen:.

$5.00 - you can't beat that. Doing the math you didn't spend anymore money than you planned since at regular price 2 gowns would have cost $30.00 and on sale you spent $30.00 on 6 gowns. 30% off - I probably would have gotten the purse too.

Now I know why my crown looks dry and brittle. I hope I can get it to recover. My NG in the crown area feels nice though so hopefully by ditching the excessive cones I can retain the length.

I was sooooo close to buying Karen's Body Beautiful stuff today- I tried to rationalize it by saying it was gonna be for moisturizing my body! -

Anywhoo I closed out my checkout screen and put the money I would have used towards my KBB purchase on decreasing my CC debt. So $80 in KBB instead went to my CC. I feel better about it.-I think whenever I get a REALLY strong urge, I will do that instead-for whatever amount I was thinking of spending. :)

Congrats on using that money towards your CC!

Good job nat, that's a good idea to put the money we want to use for products twards something else. I want a deep freezer so i can stock up on more meat and frozen food. This will be my incentive. I was thinking about you today, i saw in an old thread that you used suave and africa's best oil to prepoo. Do you still use this? I already have the oil and im thinking about getting the suave on the first pass.

@ Ivy (sorry i don't know how to seperate the quotes) what i do for my crown since it is the thickest and longest part of my hair, I put a little bit more moisturizer there than i do the rest of my hair and it helps alot.

@ Ivy (sorry i don't know how to seperate the quotes) what i do for my crown since it is the thickest and longest part of my hair, I put a little bit more moisturizer there than i do the rest of my hair and it helps alot.

Thanks La Colocha. I'm going to do this with the Lustrasilk after I rinse out my Cherry Lola experiment. Yea - I had Bragg's Amino Acids in the basement. I found it last night while looking for maple syrup. :lachen:

Last edited:
Hi La Colocha- I stopped using suave and the Africa's best together for pre pooing- There was nothing wrong with the mixture but after a while a lot of my products changed so I didn't need to pre poo as much.

I still mix Africa's Best Herbal Oil with other conditioners (i.e. Hello Hydration) more for co-washing/detangling. It works really well. If I needed to I would have no issue with revisiting the suave/herbal oil mix for pre pooing if I needed to. I just happened to have a lot of suave on hand a while back.

Hi La Colocha- I stopped using suave and the Africa's best together for pre pooing- There was nothing wrong with the mixture but after a while a lot of my products changed so I didn't need to pre poo as much.

I still mix Africa's Best Herbal Oil with other conditioners (i.e. Hello Hydration) more for co-washing/detangling. It works really well. If I needed to I would have no issue with revisiting the suave/herbal oil mix for pre pooing if I needed to. I just happened to have a lot of suave on hand a while back.

Thanks nat, I didn't look at the date of the thread but it sounded like a good combo. So suave is on the list for pass day.

Hi ladies, don't hurt me, but I HAD to catch that pre-easter BSS sale today because the sale ends tonight at 8pm so I bought some Fantacia IC Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites. I FINALLY FOUND IT HERE IN THE BAHAMAS!!! I couldn't resist getting them on sale. There was one CON Clarifying Poo on the shelf as well so I bought that too as I am running low on clarifying poo anyway. I got 3 braid sprays all on sale and I am glad I waited because I saved 20% today and if I wait for next week, they would be at full cost again:nono:. I just got cornrows yesterday and I didn't have any braid spray for them and I had to exercise a little wisdom and get them today:yep:.

Hi ladies, don't hurt me, but I HAD to catch that pre-easter BSS sale today because the sale ends tonight at 8pm so I bought some Fantacia IC Styling Gel with Sparkle Lites. I FINALLY FOUND IT HERE IN THE BAHAMAS!!! I couldn't resist getting them on sale. There was one CON Clarifying Poo on the shelf as well so I bought that too as I am running low on clarifying poo anyway. I got 3 braid sprays all on sale and I am glad I waited because I saved 20% today and if I wait for next week, they would be at full cost again:nono:. I just got cornrows yesterday and I didn't have any braid spray for them and I had to exercise a little wisdom and get them today:yep:.

AGGIE:sad::grin: lol oh well i guess you had to do what you had to do.

Back