Night Time Rollersetters...

lonei

Hi ladies, Im going to relax my hair tomorrow, and yes I have been counting down the milliseconds
smile.gif
!!! I am going to roller set using the large magnetic rollers, motions leave in and a serum. I want to cut out wrapping (I only wrap for 1 week after a relaxer anyway) as it can thin out the hair and in my experience takes out all the body
frown.gif

For those of you who roller set at night, how many rollers do you use, how do you position them and if you want a loose curl, how tight do you roll?

Do you wear a bonnet or scarf?

What type of rollers do you use, (I plan to use sponge ones)?

Do you spray a product at night or in the morning, either way, which products are light?

All suggestions welcome, please be as detailed as you can, god bless...
cool.gif

Hi Lonei,

I find sponge rollers are more comfortable for sleeping in as I find the other hard type hurts my head (I have both types).
smile.gif

When I actively used to roller set my hair I used to roll th ehair from the front until I rolled all the hair from front to back. I would use perm repair setting lotion and a leave-in such as infusium 23 or motions leave-in is also good (I use that too) or lottabody (well diluted). I think it's a good idea to tie the hair with a satin scarf and then wear a satin cap over it as the scarf can sometimes slip off.

It's good to add a little oil to your hair before wrapping the hair so that it doesn't look dry and frizzy afterwards.
smile.gif

The other night I applied Keracare Essential Oils for the Hair and brushed my hair with a boar bristle brush. Afterwards, I used the Hype Hair Satin Rollers (maybe 25 rollers) all over. I didn't use a satin bonnet or scarf. I have two pillows with satin pillowcases. Usually, I use the satin bonnet and the pillowcase. I got up the next morning and took out the rollers and comb it with my fingers and sprayed a little Design Essentials Reflection Spray. I received a lot of compliments on yesterday.

Last night I just rolled the ends with the satin rollers and applied the Spray today and my hair still looks pretty good.

I try to rollerset at night 2-3 times per week.

Good Luck,

MissB

Ok ladies, maybe Im not making myself clear. I am talking about previously set hair and just using rollers to maintain a slight bend, not really a multitude of curls. Thus in effect most of the hair would be straight with a curl at the end, how would I maintain this look?

You can probably just use a few rollers on the ends as I did last night. And sometimes I put my hair up high with a long bobby pin and just shake it out the next morning. Both methods work well on previously set hair.

I roll my hair at night using 3 green magnetic rollers, they are smaller than the purple and red ones that I use to wet set. I put 1 to 2 drops of aloe gel on the very ends and roll the 3 in going back. I use a satin wrap and then cover that with a stocking cap. If I don't the wrap comes off! In the morning I remove rollers and finger comb -- hair is light and bouncy with just a slight curl that adds movement and body.

Thank you ladies, this is exactly what I mean, keep those suggestions coming in!!!!

Gather all the hair up from the sides of your head up to the top (like a mohawk) and use the largest sponge rollers and just put about 5 rollers in starting from the front middle of your forehead down to the back. (You will have a "roller mohawk") You can either use a setting lotion or not, depending on how much curl you want.

I did this last night with the medium sized sponge rollers and setting lotion and my hair is as curly as it would be if I had set the whole thing!!
up.gif

This technique is my favorite cuz you dont even feel the rollers when you sleep since they are all on the top of your head!!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
Ok ladies, maybe Im not making myself clear. I am talking about previously set hair and just using rollers to maintain a slight bend, not really a multitude of curls. Thus in effect most of the hair would be straight with a curl at the end, how would I maintain this look?

[/ QUOTE ]
You could try a very high loose ponytail(with a roller on the ends if you want) or a loose bun....once again high on the head towards the forehead.

[ QUOTE ]
sweetcocoa said:

You could try a very high loose ponytail(with a roller on the ends if you want)

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
smile.gif
I do that method pretty often too!! I put about 3 medium sized sponge rollers on the ponytail... Works great!!

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
sweetcocoa said:

You could try a very high loose ponytail(with a roller on the ends if you want)

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
smile.gif
I do that method pretty often too!! I put about 3 medium sized sponge rollers on the ponytail... Works great!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been my nightly hair style for the past 2 or 3 years. I love it. I just take the ponytail down and I have a "ready-made" hairstyle. Just comb thru, put a little oil if you want and you are good to go
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
Gather all the hair up from the sides of your head up to the top (like a mohawk) and use the largest sponge rollers and just put about 5 rollers in starting from the front middle of your forehead down to the back. (You will have a "roller mohawk") You can either use a setting lotion or not, depending on how much curl you want.

I did this last night with the medium sized sponge rollers and setting lotion and my hair is as curly as it would be if I had set the whole thing!!
up.gif

This technique is my favorite cuz you dont even feel the rollers when you sleep since they are all on the top of your head!!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Lindy, I'm going to have to try this method.
smile.gif

I am a former magnetic roller wearer, but discovered these wonderful Velcro rollers at Sally Beauty Supply in June of 2003. They give my hair just enough body and bounce. I use the 2-inch rolllers, about six of them, and the remainder are 7/8 inch rollers. I roll away from the face on top, down toward the nape in the back, and down toward the ear on either side. The only exception is a lock of hair closest to my forehead, which I roll down towards the forehead. So, all total, I guess I wear 15-18.

I currently use Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural Wrap and Set Lotion. which provides very good conditioning and a nice soft set.

I might alternate wrap setting and roller setting. I find that after two or three days, the wrap makes my hair flat, at which point it's time to boost the body of the hair with a roller set.

northernbelle

One more thing:

When I wrap set, I wear a satin wrap scarf. When I roller set, I wear a satin bonnet cap.

northernbelle

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
Lindy do you comb down the hair in the morning or just finger comb?

[/ QUOTE ]

I ALWAYS use my lil ole plastic Goody "afro pick" to do my hair... every day!!
laugh.gif
I have a few of them laying around so that I always have one handy!!
grin.gif
I rarely use a regular comb... actually just when my tangles are out of control I'll pull out my widely spaced tooth comb so that I can comb through my hair properly instead of just picking it...
smile.gif

Back