Newbie with progress pics

xyra

I have noticed the amount of lurkers recently subscribing and firstly have to comment on how great that is. This forum is very informative:)

I have been visiting this site for years and have finally subscribed. Growing up I managed to maintain my hair at APL with minimal effort. Even though I relaxed by choice at a young age, my mother always made sure my hair was healthy. However, I made the mistake a few years ago of going to a salon for long layers and ended up with SL hair. My hair has never been the same since and I am hoping and trying to patiently wait for it to return to the condition that it used to be. It also didn't help that since I moved away from home after high school in 2004 and couldn't go to my regular stylist for a relaxer, I went to several different salons and more than likely used several different relaxers.

I am currently back to wearing braids as a protective style. I have a fotki with quite a few pics that is located in my profile. I am still debating on whether or not to go natural. I had started to transition in 2006, but when I stopped wearing braids I didn't feel that I could handle my natural hair. I don't know whether or not my texture has changed since the relaxers, and if the braids also had a factor, because the hair type my mother described as what I had before my first relaxer is not the hair type that I have seen. My mother is also currently transitioning and is encouraging me to continue transitioning. My last relaxer was in August of 2008.

I've attached a few pics of my progress from January 2009 to now, and my current braided style. She braided it much smaller than what I had originally asked for, but I still like it. I'm not sure how long I'll keep it in though.

It's great to finally be a member of the board:)

Attachments

• Image029.jpg
    Image029.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 150
  • Image005.jpg
    Image005.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

xyra

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and compliments. Right now I'm definitely concentrating on health and length, because I don't need any added thickness. It's been painful lately detangling it, but then again that may be due to being back in braids.