New to site. Looking for advice - relaxer dilemma Very long

junipertree

Hi guys! I am new to this site and my problem is this......

I got my first ever relaxer when I was about twenty. Never paid attention to what was used - brand, lye, no-lye. Suffice it to say that after a few years my biggest problem has been dry, dry, hair and major split ends. My hair grows but the ends get so damaged that I end up having to cut off at least 2 inches. I also never paid attention to when to get touch-ups. Sometimes I'd get them 2x year sometimes every 3-4 months. My last touch up was about 5 months ago and I believe she (the stylist a friend recommended me to) used Revlon no-lye. I know for a fact that I've used Motions and CON and never paid attention to how my hair felt. I think Motions worked well. Well, this time I noticed mucho breakage and shedding. :mad: I always shed a lot butthis time was so bad I was embarrassed to comb my hair at my boyfriend's house because of all the hair that would be all over the place! I immediately started treating with Emergencee thanks to this site - it worked wonders. Also used Aubrey GPB which I absolutely love. So now I've been treating my hair using all sorts of advice from this site and have seen tremendous improvement (Thanks guys!). :) So now I am ready for a touch up and my new, wonderful Dominican hairstylist uses a relaxer I've never heard of before called "Velvetix" by Mulier. She said it's Italian and it is very good. It is no-lye and after reading about how no-lye dries your hair I was going to use either Motions or Mizani (although I'm not sure if Mizani is lye or no-lye but heard good reviews. ANYWHO....

I said all of this to say - has anyone ever heard of this relaxer? I finally found their website after I googled it - it was all in spanish but i translated it. But nothing else. My hairdresser also uses Affirm but I heard bad things about that too. I also thought about Phyto but I would have to buy it and have her put it on (I've never done my own relaxer-scared!). the problem is she speaks very little english and I'm afraid she will mess it up due to the language barrier She is a great hairdresser and I know this because whenever I go to someone else my boyfriend always notices and is very disappointed. So, I trust her but just wanted to see if anyone here ever heard of "Velvetix" before I try it. :confused:

Thx! And sorry for the long post

webby

Think Slim
Hi Joon :wave:
welcome to the site.

No, I have not heard of this product, but it's a good idea to run it pass the ladies here. I went to a dominican salon and asked if they have CON w/lye, the woman said they only use Affirm. At the time, I had never heard of affirm and saw no need to try something I had never used or heard of.

I recoomend that if no one here has heard of it, find out if the stylist will let you bring in your own product. I personally, won't go to one that discourages the use of my products. My sentiment is, you can charge me whatever you want to put in the products for me, but if I know what works for my hair, AND I'm paying you...then nothing else will due.

kitchen_tician

Welcome!!! I've also never heard of that relaxer. IMO, I would only use a relaxer that has some sort of credibility. :ohwell: Keep researching and hopefully you'll get some answers.

Oh yeah, Mizani comes in both Lye and No-Lye.

Ashee

joonbug320 said:
Hi guys! I am new to this site and my problem is this......

I got my first ever relaxer when I was about twenty. Never paid attention to what was used - brand, lye, no-lye. Suffice it to say that after a few years my biggest problem has been dry, dry, hair and major split ends. My hair grows but the ends get so damaged that I end up having to cut off at least 2 inches. I also never paid attention to when to get touch-ups. Sometimes I'd get them 2x year sometimes every 3-4 months. My last touch up was about 5 months ago and I believe she (the stylist a friend recommended me to) used Revlon no-lye. I know for a fact that I've used Motions and CON and never paid attention to how my hair felt. I think Motions worked well. Well, this time I noticed mucho breakage and shedding. :mad: I always shed a lot butthis time was so bad I was embarrassed to comb my hair at my boyfriend's house because of all the hair that would be all over the place! I immediately started treating with Emergencee thanks to this site - it worked wonders. Also used Aubrey GPB which I absolutely love. So now I've been treating my hair using all sorts of advice from this site and have seen tremendous improvement (Thanks guys!). :) So now I am ready for a touch up and my new, wonderful Dominican hairstylist uses a relaxer I've never heard of before called "Velvetix" by Mulier. She said it's Italian and it is very good. It is no-lye and after reading about how no-lye dries your hair I was going to use either Motions or Mizani (although I'm not sure if Mizani is lye or no-lye but heard good reviews. ANYWHO....

I said all of this to say - has anyone ever heard of this relaxer? I finally found their website after I googled it - it was all in spanish but i translated it. But nothing else. My hairdresser also uses Affirm but I heard bad things about that too. I also thought about Phyto but I would have to buy it and have her put it on (I've never done my own relaxer-scared!). the problem is she speaks very little english and I'm afraid she will mess it up due to the language barrier She is a great hairdresser and I know this because whenever I go to someone else my boyfriend always notices and is very disappointed. So, I trust her but just wanted to see if anyone here ever heard of "Velvetix" before I try it. :confused:

Thx! And sorry for the long post
I agree with Webby.
I have yet to hear of a stylist that won't use your product that you buy. As long as you know how to use it if they don't and you can explain it to them thoroughly, then it shouldn't be a problem.
I say bring your own relaxer that you are comfortable with. Someone else on this board said that you could even tell them that you are allergic to too many things & feel better if they use what you know won't react badly to you! ;) That way they won't feel like you're crapping on their product choices! :lol:
I personally don't put a thing in my hair that I don't know, haven't seen anyone else use, or (number one) haven't done extensive research on it for at least one full month to sometimes a full year.:user:
-HTH

Last edited:

baglady215

Hi and welcome!

I have never heard of that relaxer, but remember that no-lye doesn't always mean bad. Phyto is no-lye and mostly everyone loves that. No-lye means no sodium hydroxide, but the "bad" thing about usual "no-lye" relaxers is calcium hydroxide. Phyto doesn't have sodium hydroxide, thus the no-lye label. BUT, it doesn't have calcium hydroxide either. Can you check the ingredients of Velvetix before you use it?

LDebagoria

Welcome Joon!
I wouldn't be too cool with havin' that relaxer put in my hair, 'cause I used to not pay attention to what relaxer got put in my head, and it messed me up in the end!
I've stretched this last one for almost six months, and I plan to bring a PhytoRelaxer to my stylist when I get my next one this June!

Best Wishes!! :)

hondahoney007

Hello and welcome. The dominican salon my sister goes to used Velvetix(or Velvetux) on her hair in the past. She didn't have any problems with it. They stopped using it because they said that they couldn't get it from their supplier in the dominican republic anymore. The salon I go to now uses it and they charge $45.00 for touch up. I've been using Affirm sensitive scalp relaxer for the past 5yrs with no problems.

junipertree

mkh_77 said:
Have you Googled it to try to find out more about it?
MKH - Yes I did google it and only found their website - which was in spanish. I translated the page but it doesn't tell me the ingredients of this product. However, I did some more research like you suggested and Noruel Laboratories, the lab that actually makes the stuff, also makes Salerm products. It is located in the Dominican Republic. I still am not sold....maybe more people will post who have heard of it. If not I'll try Phyto.

junipertree

hondahoney007 said:
Hello and welcome. The dominican salon my sister goes to used Velvetix(or Velvetux) on her hair in the past. She didn't have any problems with it. They stopped using it because they said that they couldn't get it from their supplier in the dominican republic anymore. The salon I go to now uses it and they charge $45.00 for touch up. I've been using Affirm sensitive scalp relaxer for the past 5yrs with no problems.
Hondahoney -
What type of hair does your sister have?

junipertree

Well.... I finally made the choice and went with....Phyto 2. At $60 plus paying for my hairdresser to apply it, it was an expensive choice. But it was so worth it! :) My hair has never looked and felt so healthy. I don't know if you guys can stomach another Phyto review but I have to give it props. I will never use another relaxer again. My only problem was that the neutralizing shampoo was not enough and it made my hair hard and stuck together. But then again I am not sure if it was the shampoo or if that is just what happens after you relax. I've experience that before and it really worries me every time. But after I deep conditioned and rollerset my hair was soooo shiny and bouncy! I did not use the milky reconstructor so I can't say anything about that.