Need Help and Recommendations!

Aerie17

I hit a wrong button, so hope this does not show up somewhere else!

I have been frequently washing and conditioning my hair and air drying it-little to no appliances...until today when I had to go into my office for meetings. I used a flat iron-ceramic- and did my hair, (which lost its body and style just walking across the parking lot!!! this morning) and I noticed a LOT of broken hairs in the sink, on the counter and on my shoulders. I think what happened is that I over-used my protein conditioners. I have been trying to work out a regime and products that work well with my hair, so have been experimenting with different protein conditioners (Nexxus Keraphix, Wella In Depth, Got2Be One Minute Emergency Repair, Motions CPR, IC Deep Contitioning Treatment, UBH Conditioner) and following up with various moisturizing conditioners, Keracare Humecto (my favorite), Wella Kolestral (another fav), UBH Dew (so-so), Nexxus Humectress. I also put Aloe Vera and pure coconut oil in my hair while wet and dry it naturally. This combo seems to be keeping my roots straight, including my hairline. I wear my hair in a very simple style-pulled back and secured with a loose scrunchie or in a butterfly clip. With this much care, how can my hair be breaking? I figure it has to be too much protein. I am switching to moisturizing only for the next few washes. Any suggestions as to what else might be causing this or could it be the protein? How often should I use protein? I have fine hair of medium density and also take a multi-vitamin, 1000-2000 mg of biotin, extra calcium, C and vitamin E. The breaking is not typically what I suffer from. I thank you in advance...I may not be able to check back for a few days. Help my poor hair!

Aerie

Kaela

Hi Aerie
How often have you been using these protein conditioners?
Also before you heat styled, what products did you put on your hair? How hot was the flat iron? Has this happened before when you flat-ironed?

Aerie17

Hi there,
I used the protein about twice a week in an effort to strengthen my hair. I have only flat-ironed one other time, about two weeks ago, and no, my hair did not break all over the place that time. The iron is set on "8" out of a high of "20". I started out at "2" and moved up from there. The iron pulled my hair until I got it hot enough on setting "8". I tested the heat on a tissue before placing it in my hair. Thanks for helping!!
Aerie

Kaela

I think you may have diagnosed your self...it probably is the protein. Personally, I think if your hair isn't severly damaged, you don't need to use a protein conditioner more than once a week, and maybe even less than that. I would find a good clarifying treatment to strip a lot of the buildup off. Some of the protein treatments you mentioned I'm not familar with...but I have heard that UBH can harden your hair overtime...I know a lot of the serious 'emergency' type protein conditioners you really only should use every few weeks. In the meantime, you can try some hot oil treatments to help get the pliability back. I hope everyone else can offer some feedback, but my best advice is to put the protein on the shelf for awhile

adrienne0914

twice a week is probably too much. if your hair was in good shape and not breaking before the protein treatments, once every two weeks or once a month should be sufficient.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
but you're not really using any "hard-core" protein treatments (except for the Keraphix). Have you used anything lately that would make your hair too soft? I find that too soft hair causes me to shed.

Aerie17

Hi Kaela,

Your suggestion about using a clarifying treatment sounds great. I will look for a good shampoo to accomplish that and see how it goes. I have only used UBH once, so will watch out for that one. Thanks!

Aerie17

Hi Adrienne!
I was using the protein in an effort to head off damage. I have my hair permed with Affirm and I also use semi-permanent color, so I was trying to be proactive. I guess I might have overdone it! I will try cutting down to twice a month...it might be hard, I am SUCH a conditioner product junkie!

BTW, is your birthday on Sept 14th? Mine is Sept. 17th!!

HairFanatic01

Hi Aerie,
Personally a very light protein treatment once a week would be fine. For once every two weeks something like Keraphix would be fine. Which is for something heavy. So I think that its the protein treatment.

Aerie17

Supergirl!
That's something to think about...I never thought about there being a problem with softening my hair too much, except for loss of body. I have used Keraphix maybe twice in the last month or so, so maybe that wasn't over much. The newest thing I have been doing is stepping up the washing and using coconut oil/aloe vera. I will keep up with the washing and the oil/vera combo unless I continue to see a problem. I am trying to use more natural products. The last two shampoos were with Kiss My Face products followed with the rinse out conditioners, used to allow me to comb-out my hair. I then follow with the heavier conditioners. Well, now that I read that sentence, perhaps I have been using too much of a good thing! The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps my technique with the flat iron needs tweaking...

Thanks for the suggestion! It makes one go, hmmmmm.

Aerie17

Hi,
Do you have a recommendation for light protein products? Perhaps one is in the array of products I mentioned? When you use the Keraphix, do you leave it on for the recommended 3 minutes without heat and rinse? Or do you leave it on longer with a cap and heat? I can hardly ever leave well enough alone. I usually add something to my protein conditioners, whether it be oil or some other moisturizing element. Thanks for your comments!

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,
Do you have a recommendation for light protein products? Perhaps one is in the array of products I mentioned? When you use the Keraphix, do you leave it on for the recommended 3 minutes without heat and rinse? Or do you leave it on longer with a cap and heat? I can hardly ever leave well enough alone. I usually add something to my protein conditioners, whether it be oil or some other moisturizing element. Thanks for your comments!

[/ QUOTE ]

Aerie,

The last time I used Keraphix I left it on for 30min. without heat. It worked well for me. I have never used it with heat.

I don't add anything to my conditioners.

Aerie17

Kaela,
I noticed a part of your question that I didn't answer and perhaps that is part of the problem. I oiled my hair the night before after shampooing and conditioning, with the pure coconut oil and the aloe vera. My hair was not oily, but I could see the natural-looking sheen from the oil and there was a barely there residue the next morning. I didn't apply anything else to my hair. I also checked the iron again. It has 25 heat settings, not 20 and I set it on 8. Perhaps I should have something else as a barrier to protect the hair, although the setting did not seem over-hot. Do you know of a good product to use when using heat appliances that won't be sticky? Thanks, again.

Aerie17

Hi PBE,
I'll try it without the heat. It doesn't require it I don't think. Of course, I will wait a couple of weeks..Thanks!

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]

I have been frequently washing and conditioning my hair and air drying it-little to no appliances...until today when I had to go into my office for meetings. I used a flat iron-ceramic- and did my hair, (which lost its body and style just walking across the parking lot!!! this morning) and I noticed a LOT of broken hairs in the sink, on the counter and on my shoulders.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aerie I've noticed this if I don't use a blow dryer first. I don't know why ...

Aerie17

Oh no!!
I am all thumbs with a blow-dryer. Something tells me I might have to give up the flat-iron. Sob!

daviine

Hi Aerie17---I just wanted to say hi and ask you about the Wella In-Depth. I think I might try that in a few months. I think I like Wella Kolestral--not sure if I like it more or less than QH Cholesterol--but I should know in a few days. What do you like about the Kolestral?

Kaela

To be honest with you, I can't recommend a brand name thermal protectant that I really like, or that I have found not to be sticky. I think they are useful, but because my hair is pretty fine texture, it gets weighed down too much. Based on what you said you did the night before, I don't really think thats the culprit....the rare times I do use heat I just make sure my hair is well conditioned, and then I use a little leave-in conditioner as a protectant. I would have probably done the same thing you did...

Aerie17

Hi Davinne, (pretty name)
I consider the Wella Kolestral a staple. It always moisturizes my hair beautifully and I alternate it with the Humecto. Once, when in another town and checking out a beauty supply store, I bought the Queen Helene and tried it. In my opinion, it did not compare! The In-Depth is a protein restructurizing treatment. After the fiasco with the flat iron, I used the Kolestral to re-moisturize my hair with heat cap and 30 minutes time, then the coconut and aloe/vera after rinsing. My hair has life again. However, I will not use the In-Depth or any other protein for at least a couple of weeks. I think I learned my lesson. Too much of anything can be a bad thing. Try the Wella. I think it is a great product.

Aerie17

I think I will take my birthday off this year. Last year, some friends took me down to Orlando to party at the nightclubs at Universal Studios. I had a ball! I am divorced and raising my son alone, he just turned 14 (!) and I don't get out much anymore. Hope this year's birthday is just as fun. Enjoy yours!

Aerie17

I have the same problem..fine hair. Oh well, maybe someone has found something that works and will offer a recommendation. Take care.

daviine

I have one more application left and i plan on using it on my next wash. In fact, I have a few cholesterols here that I am trying to examine and compare (as well as use up!)

Thanks!