Need a gel that works, 8 mo. post, ready to relax edges...HELP!

Ladylu

I am almost 8 months post and I wear my hair up alot. My edges in the back are hideous! I am ready to relax my kitchen area..... Does anyone have any gel that actually works that's not too hard and flakey?

So is it that bad to relax your edges only? **sigh**

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Have you tried Elasta QP glaze? People rave about that all over here. Personally my edges surprisingly respond to aloe vera gel and castor oil. Obedience!

sharentu

eco styler gel, it was recommended on here a while back. i have tried it and its the only gel i use now. i love it.

melissa-bee

I don't think people on here like this brand but Style smoother by black and sassy is good for that, and it's moisturising

Geminigirl

Yea I'd go Ecostyler, Fantasia IC the clear kind, or aloevera. Also try making sure that your edges are super moisturized so they soften and lay down better. Make sure your hitting them good with the DC and moisturizers and sealing in that moisture.

Diva_Esq

ECOSTYLER & Garnier Fructis Brilliantine Water-based Shine Wax!

That's how I keep my edges slicked for my buns. I have a bun photo album.

Last edited:

Ladylu

Whoo Hoo ladies. I tried Elasta qp and it did the job. I should have had this stuff months ago!! I plan to try the other suggestions too..

Thanks ladies...yall have saved me from relaxing my edges....for now. :)

Barbie83

I really like Hairveda's Almond Glaze, but you guys have me seriously contemplating that Ecostyler :scratchch

krikit96

Okay, I use Elasta QP as well, but after awhile, I noticed white flakes. So, even though I like the hold, I used the new ORS Smooth N Pudding and it is AWESOME!!!!! Held my pony tail ALL DAY with NO FRIZZIES!

Ladylu

I see that many of you mention ecostyler jel. But what #. THere are different hold levels. Right now I have the one that's the pink color...I think the number on it is 7...and my hair laughs at 7...I may need to get a stronger hold.... Which one are yall using?

glamazon386

I see that many of you mention ecostyler jel. But what #. THere are different hold levels. Right now I have the one that's the pink color...I think the number on it is 7...and my hair laughs at 7...I may need to get a stronger hold.... Which one are yall using?

I use the clear. I think the clear is #10. The pink one worked for me too though.

cocoagirl

I have used fantasia ic for years, the key is to spray with water so the hair is damp, put gel on, brush smooth and tie with scarf for at least 15 minutes, the scarf is the answer!

NIN4eva

So I've tried the Garnier Fructis Brilliant Shine Wax. It smells amazing it looks great just after application, then after about an hour or so it melts into a grease and makes my edges super frizzy and worse off than they were before. I tried following up with hairspray as it says in the directions, but I received the same results.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Ecostyler (green or clear) or fantasia ic with sparklites keeps my 4b edges in check. Both of these are the strongest hold
ETA forgot to mention after the gel tying down with a scarf for 10-15 minutes is crucial

Miss Monae

I have to advocate for Long-Aid Curl Activator Gel. It is the only gel I use to slick down my hair. Never over-drying, no flakes and it has glycerin in it so it is super moisturizing. Works like a charm!

Attachments

• 41H5g6RRhvL._SS500_.jpg
    41H5g6RRhvL._SS500_.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 4

Jewell

http://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Shine-Extra-Conditioning-60410b/dp/B000GCWF64

Smooth 'n Shine Gel. I got mine from the dollar store or somewhere like that. I prefer it to Elasta QP; has a little more hold, but they both work well.

Gotta second that motion. Also, I found that Prostyle Aloe Styling Gel is good, doesn't have much strong hold, but does give some hold with moisturization, which I like; no flakiness. I learned to try many gels cuz my Dad's side of the fam were gel fanatics (always had a huge jar or even gallon size in the bathroom)!:lachen: Another good one is not a gel, but EQP Mango Butter laid my edges and waves down like nobody's bizness!

The other Smooth 'N Shine gels that come at any BSS in the larger clear jars (one pink gel, one teal colored-both with clear jars & black tops) are very good as well. I have tried all these I've listed, plus more! Thanks for asking this question, cuz I am almost 8 mos post myself and wanted to read reviews on diff. ones!

~NanCeBoTwin~

When I stretched for 33 weeks, my leave-in was great for keeping my NG slicked down for buns and ponytails, Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner"....I applied it through out my hair then applied more to the edges, top, nape, then sealed. I put on my scarf, and airdried, my edges laid down smoothly all day long....

ETA: I'm a 4b/c while my hair laid down smoothly and shined, it was wavy, I actually loved that look.

This go round I'm going to try Whipped Jelly by HairVeda, I still have a bottle of PM The Conditioner just in case the Whipped Jelly doesn't work out....HTH

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I recommend Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, or their Vitamin E gel. Their gels contains no proteins which I like and also doesn't contain no alcohols which can dry out your hair.

~~HoneyComb~~

I have to advocate for Long-Aid Curl Activator Gel. It is the only gel I use to slick down my hair. Never over-drying, no flakes and it has glycerin in it so it is super moisturizing. Works like a charm!

I'm mad at you ladies who can use the Eco styler gel :lol: I purchased 3 hugh containers of the stuff, used it once and it made my hair so hard and crunchy it sound as if my hair was breaking :nono:

I co-sign on Long Aid Curl Activator gel--it's never let me down and it's the most moisturizing gel I have ever used. You will never get flakes from it--I got flakes from Eco Styler.