Naturals with weaves! Or anyone with weaves!

Niapb

I'm 4a/4b natural and I've realized I retain the most length when I do NOTHING to my hair, like wear braided extensions. So for the upcoming spring and summer I think I'd like to try a weave. I want something curly that will blend with my texture but also something that I can straighten when I want. I've read about a lot of brands and the two that were most convincing are Bohyme Brazilian Wave and Virgin Indian Remy Kinky Curly hair. Can anyone help me out on this subject?

Fine 4s

I asked the same question...
My first weave was with straight hair though and a short bob-like cut.
My next weave I would like it to be more curly.
If you do a search for my name, someone posted several links that you might want to check out....

Send pics when you get it sewn in :)

PPGbubbles

I'm 4a/4b natural and I've realized I retain the most length when I do NOTHING to my hair, like wear braided extensions. So for the upcoming spring and summer I think I'd like to try a weave. I want something curly that will blend with my texture but also something that I can straighten when I want. I've read about a lot of brands and the two that were most convincing are Bohyme Brazilian Wave and Virgin Indian Remy Kinky Curly hair. Can anyone help me out on this subject?

I personally love Boh Braz and I also love his and hers Kinky straight.

I found weaving to be helpful in retention but just ensure that you keep your hair well moisturized and trim any splits between installs.

hair4romheaven

Since being natural I only wear full weaves with a closure. I use halleys curls and don't have to deal with blending because all of my hair is braided up.

mischka

shrinkage.
i used to get my weave from wagman's which allegedly - as far as i knew - was indian donor weave. it took a little while to get used to but eventually it functioned like natural human hair - i had to get the washing/product routine down to deal with it.

i attached pics of it curly and straightened. those are just the types of/size curls it could make... i eventually learned how to define them better than what they look like in that pic

Last edited:

Fine 4s

Since being natural I only wear full weaves with a closure. I use halleys curls and don't have to deal with blending because all of my hair is braided up.

Do you have any pics of your full sew in?
I need to plan on another sew in before the summer comes....I'm already late.

growinghealthyhair

My friend wears bohyme brazillian wave!! She's natural and she loved her hair. I'm natural and wear weaves, but I usually wear closures. Currently i'm wearing some Relaxed Texture from Extensions Plus. It's easy to blend with blowdried 4a/b hair!

Fine 4s

I personally love Boh Braz and I also love his and hers Kinky straight.

I found weaving to be helpful in retention but just ensure that you keep your hair well moisturized and trim any splits between installs.

Why should one trim?
I might get a full sew in before my next scheduled trim. What could happen?

PPGbubbles

Why should one trim?
I might get a full sew in before my next scheduled trim. What could happen?

I sadly had my splits travel up the hair shaft :nono: because I did instals consecutively with out trimming. It let to a major trim last year and I lost a bit of length.

now that I search and destroy between installs, I am seeing excellent retention :yep:

one of those lessons I had to learn the hard way.

mzsophisticated26

I have a half wig made with Bobraz and you will love it, you just have to read up on what works for the hair. Their is a lonnnnng thread on BHM dedicated to Bobraz. Also hairesthetics(Sp) kinky straight hair is really nice. I think bobraz is more versatile

Fine 4s

I sadly had my splits travel up the hair shaft :nono: because I did instals consecutively with out trimming. It let to a major trim last year and I lost a bit of length.

now that I search and destroy between installs, I am seeing excellent retention :yep:

one of those lessons I had to learn the hard way.

Sad to hear this :(
How long did you keep the hair in for? Or how long without trimming or S&D'ing?

ms.blue

Closures are wonderful for the exact same reason stated above. Only problem is finding somone who actually knows how to install one.

iri9109

i used bohyme brazilian...i loved that hair's texture and look! everyone thought it was mine and when i took it out mad ppl asked my why i cut my hair...the only thing i didnt like was it shed like a MF:wallbash::wallbash:...from day 1...and i sealed it on both sides...my friends called it the cancer patient lol...i used to twist it up at night to preserve the curls and so it wouldnt tangle b/c it was so long, but i found that just putting it in a ponytail or bun/pineapple at night really cut down on manipulation and therefore shedding...because it shed so much i wouldn't buy it again(i dont think i would ever get a weave again period b/c half wigs give you the same look & you still have total access to your hair underneath)

bobraz color #1, i think it was 14''...maybe 16''

ajoyfuljoy

check out wagmans perfectress line. their hair blends with AA hair really well. Hair is very durable, some of the most durable on the market and it will last throught MULTIPLE installs. But don't buy their closures if you are thinking about a full weave. They aren't very nice looking.

The pictures on the website aren't all that hot, but if you do a google images search for the type of hair you are interested in you will probably find a better variety of pictures.

PPGbubbles

Sad to hear this :(
How long did you keep the hair in for? Or how long without trimming or S&D'ing?

I know it was longer than 6 months :drunk: yea, crazy I know.

But at the time I thought because my hair was "protected" this was a non-issue.

I know better now and it helped me understand that I do not have the type of hair that can go months on end, even when I do not use heat, without checking for splits.

hair4romheaven

Closures are wonderful for the exact same reason stated above. Only problem is finding somone who actually knows how to install one.
I am a client of Reniece. She does a great job. When I tell people its a weave they are shocked. I keep it in for 3 months.
Do you have any pics of your full sew in?
I need to plan on another sew in before the summer comes....I'm already late.
Sorry I have no hair pics. I have pics of me with my hair done but none close up of the actual hair. Sorry I will make a mental note to do so when I get it redone in late April.

lilsparkle825

I used BoBraz last summer. Blended perfectly with my 3c/4a hair. TBH it may work for you and may not since I have seen some 4a/b ladies get it and look great, but others...not so much because they leave out too much. However, it matted on me really bad due to all the shedding and probably the fact that I cowashed almost every day to keep it from getting dry. I wouldn't buy it again, but it did look great for the first few weeks.

lovelyone80

I recently wore a weave and my hair grew the most with that weave! I was excited.

I have 4a/b hair. I got a FULL weave with Organic Bounce Curl Hair from Indique (it was expensive but worth it...). I would wash my hair every week and it last for 2 months. People thought I was crazy to keep washing it but my hair loves being washed. It thrives on it. I used a spray bottle.

I got a full weave because it was hard to blend my hair. the style came out great, ppl still think it was my "real" hair.

txcurly10

I just weaved up my hair last weekend. I used All About My Hair Kinky Curly hair. I love it and I have received a ton of compliments on it.

mscocopuff

I wear Sew ins all the time and I do search and destroys in between. I wear primarily Virgin hair or Bohyme. I recently had virgin Malaysian hair, I am now in Bohyme Egyptian Wave. I love my Sew ins.

When I take my hair out, I pamper it. I go thru with my S&D, then I do a protein treatment, then I deep condish under the steamer. I leave it out for about a week, then I sew it back up. As long as you trim, you should be good, oh yea, and use really good hair products, don't skrimp on it because it is weave. You don't want to waste yoru money to have a head full of split haired weave.

You can also try these companies

Juju Hair
Perfect Locks
Indian Hair Company
www.dghair.com
Rupi Hair - but only if price is not an object

Last edited:

glamazon386

Kinky Curly weaves are my favorite. I've worn BoBraz off and on for the past 3 years. That was my first venture into kinky curly hair. I usually wear it if I decide to get my hair done at the last minute since it can be purchased locally. It's decent but not the best hair out there. It can get dry and tangly. After about a month or so I don't feel like dealing with it anymore.

If I plan in advance, I typically order hair from an online vendor. I tried Halleys Creole Curly and didn't like it. I've also worn Virgin Peruvian Kinky Curly and ONYC Mongolian Kinky Curly. The Peruvian hair was my favorite. I had problems with the ONYC tangling and matting at the nape of the neck. The hair also got SSKs on the ends which was odd. It was beautiful and soft though. ONYC is pricey for processed hair too. I paid about the same price for 8 oz 12" of ONYC that I did for the 8 oz 18" peruvian hand tied hair. And that hair didn't tangle at all. I think I'm going to revisit that this summer.

Sensationnel Goddess Remi French Wave was my go to hair when I was stretching and transitioning. When I went natural I couldn't wear it with leave out anymore because my hair did not match the texture anymore. The weave was too shiny compared to my hair. Plus the curls were way too big. I've worn it as a full weave with no hair left out a few times since I've been natural though and it looked good.

If you are going to do a full weave with no hair left out, you can choose any texture you like. I've done this plenty of times with inexpensive hair when I needed a quick change of pace. But I prefer a weave with leave out. Looks more natural, IMO. I've never used a closure though.

Last edited:

ZkittyKurls

I also had a question about weaving as a natural. ive only had weaves when i was transitioning and have heairesthetics kinky straight which is straight but when washed, it looks like it would if a natural were to blowdry their hair and it would be big. im wondering if its possible to maintain that and just keep my 4a hair blowdried like every two weeks. of course i would use a heat protectant but im wondering if it is a good idea or not.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I also had a question about weaving as a natural. ive only had weaves when i was transitioning and have heairesthetics kinky straight which is straight but when washed, it looks like it would if a natural were to blowdry their hair and it would be big. im wondering if its possible to maintain that and just keep my 4a hair blowdried like every two weeks. of course i would use a heat protectant but im wondering if it is a good idea or not.

I wondered this too. I'm interested in the idea of a kinky straight that I could blend without heat