Naturals who would relax again

Would you ever consider relaxing your hair again?

• Yes...I have more knowledge on hair care now

Votes: 67 25.4%
  • No....relaxing can only cause damage

Votes: 144 54.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 53 20.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ryanshope

Now that I am natural, I doubt I will relax again. No more burns, touch ups, stretching, etc---there are too many options that I can use(BKT, flat ironing, weaves) so if I just "have" to have straight hair I can find a less invasive and damaging solution besides relaxing.

RubyWoo

I highly doubt it! I didn't have any problems with my relaxed hair. I just wanted a change. I prefer the way I look with my natural hair vs my relaxed hair. If I want a straight style, I like the option of being able to go back to my kinks once I get bored with straight hair.

Last edited:

InNeedofHairapy

I've thought about it and am still going back and forth with it, but I like the options I have with being natural. I like that I can wear my hair straight one day a wash n go the next, braids the next, and kinky curls the next. I like that I can get caught in the rain & not have to slick my hair back in a bun...

I just...I will never limit myself by saying I'd NEVER get a relaxer again...but I just don't want to...ever : )

ThePerfectScore

Since BCing I've never had a bad hair day! Its just so easy... wet it, put some product on and go... curls are bouncing and beautiful... oh and I add a head band for good measure

Relax hair was way too much work and to wear it down I had use heat to give my hair some bounce and body so it didn't just hang there, and with ponytails I always had that crown of broken hairs that were too short to fit in the elastic.

honeybuni84

honestly its a no.

i was relaxed for the better part of my life and really it didnt go very well. My hair is very fine, and relaxers were just a little too much for me. It took me forever to see my goals and my hair was pretty limp. I cant say that it is for me... If i did anything i would rock varying lengths of natural-nesss...

But to burn it with the relaxer again.. I just cant do it

virtuenow

It looks like I will stay natural. This lifestyle is so much better than being relaxed. In the beginning I toiled back and forth b/c I did not know what to do w/my dry, natural hair. However, once I got the hang of it and found the right products/routine(s)...I am pleased. Plus natural hair just suits me. My worst day natural is about as good as my best days relaxed. I noticed alot of people saying they have a hard time retaining length as a natural and have trouble w/knots. I don't have this problem at all; and, in fact, it is quite the contrary. This is probably b/c I use a healthy dose of heat in my hair regimen. I retain a lot more length as a natural and have never had a problem w/knots. Also, note, I thought I would be one of those naturals who press/flat iron all the time (or at least I planned to)-- but I have fallen in love w/natural type styles (twistouts, yeah!). I find straight styles to be "plain".

Any time I have thought about relaxing again, I just think back to the terrible struggle I had w/relaxed hair. The breakage (to the root- w/o cause), the frizz, thin looking, limp, never grow beyond a certain length. Also, I don't have to look far to see a jacked up relaxed head of hair (or head full of weave). This reminds me to stay natural!

chebaby

i can honestly say i will never ever ever ever ever ever relax again. i just dont see the point. i never had relaxer burn and i never had really short hair. so im not going on the fact that relaxer can really harm you hair i just dont see the point. i love my natural, puffy, poofy crazy hair that GOD gave me and when i look in the mirror i finally see me. like others, i like the versatility of it all. when i was relaxed i didnt like pony tails, braids or twists. i only liked wearing my hair out and down. one style. everyday. thats so boring but it was what i liked. i thought i wouldnt be pretty unless i had super straight hair. now you cant tell me anything with my nappy hair and again, i can honestly say i wll never ever ever ever ever relax.

JustSimplyTish

I want to say No...But I never say Never ...I hope I never do...But I can't say 100% No....I love my hair natural and the chances are very slim...But I am a woman and Lord knows I change the direction of my sail at a moments notice

Curlybeauty

I was natural for 6 yrs and I decided to relax in january. And I have no regrets. With the knowledge that I have now, I can and am taking better care of my hair. My hair is thriving as a relaxed head and I love it! But keep in mind, my hair doesn't get straight with relaxers...if it does, it is overprocessed.

Mz.MoMo5235

i picked no though i dont fully agree with it. i've seen plenty of healthy haired relaxed heads here who i adore... but no, i would never relax again. ever ever ever, i will not.

Lucky's Mom

I have been natural for 12 years. Honestly - I have days when I wish I had straighter - easier to manage hair... but - relaxers are a no no.. period....

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
I am sitting here looking at a jar of lye relaxers as I type. I have already done a test strand. The humidity and the work of my naturally hair is killing me. I want to retain my growth and I have hit a point where that is almost impossible with my shrinkage and knots and lifestyle. I like my texlaxed strand so I am just getting used to the idea. A year ago I would have said never but now I know more about my hair and what it likes. I think everyone should at least be natural for some part of their adult life just so they can get to know their hair even if you don't stay that way you keep the knowledge.

SignatureBeauty

I recently texturized and hopefully I will stick with it, people on here that know me know my cycle, but it has got to stop, I have been having a Twa since 2003, due the relaxing/bc and repeat. This is my first time Texturized and so far I am enjoying it, I still have all my curls & softness, which I didn't get when I was natural.

AmyRose92

I'd have to say no because I can just picture my ends just breaking off with a relaxer again. It'd look nice for like two weeks but the split ends would never end afterward! The whole going back to it on a regular basis for a "touch up" just sounds like a roller coaster ride for my hair. Plus, I love my God-given texture and I want to work with it instead of destroy it.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I would relax again. I don't need a certain style or trend to validate my life. I like to do what I like to do. :rolleyes: Personally, I regret BCing, but in a way, it has helped me solve a bigger issue in my life. I would have a more healthy view about my hair and what I love about it. I don't have the relaxed/natural roller coaster in my mind, anymore.:nono: I really did not have relaxed horror stories. Just an insane desire to be natural, no matter what. The single strand knots and the long styling time of natural hair is robbing me of my joy. I can take good care of my relaxed hair and enjoy my hair again. If I want to have the natural look for a time, I can do long stretches. What I know now is that I can't be natural with short hair. It is true in my case, for ME.

Last edited:

Aggie

Well you know, I was relaxed head almost all my life and when the debate about relaxed vs. natural would come up, I would always say, I would never go natural! I was quite vehement about too. And now that I am natural, I can safely say that I will never make the mistake of saying "NEVER" again.

I was happy having relaxed hair and I am also happy having natural hair. The thing is, I could not remember what my natural hair looked like and if I would be able to handle it and that was the reason I made such a bold statement about never going natural.

Now that I am natural, I realize that maintaining it is not half bad. I think I would end by saying that I have no extreme persuasions when it comes to being relaxed or natural anymore. What you see is subject to change at a moments' notice in my case. I will never say never again.

innerbeautyy

Being natural was probably the best thing I've ever done for my hair so I don't think I will go back to relaxing my hair.

keelioness

I would relax again. I don't need a certain style or trend to validate my life. I like to do what I like to do. :rolleyes: Personally, I regret BCing, but in a way, it has helped me solve a bigger issue in my life. I would have a more healthy view about my hair and what I love about it. I don't have the relaxed/natural roller coaster in my mind, anymore.:nono: I really did not have relaxed horror stories. Just an insane desire to be natural, no matter what. The single strand knots and the long styling time of natural hair is robbing me of my joy. I can take good care of my relaxed hair and enjoy my hair again. If I want to have the natural look for a time, I can do long stretches. What I know now is that I can't be natural with short hair. It is true in my case, for ME.
Why not braid or weave until it grows out some more..then decide from there if you wanna relax ?

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Well y'all know I'm once again transitioning. I'm 5 months post now and the plan is to transition for 12 months then BC.

Now I'm thinking I may not even make the 12 months because I'm wearing my hair in braids and I plan to for the rest of the year. So why am I even holding on to the relaxed ends?

Curlybeauty

My hair is still thriving, 6 months in with the relaxer. The next time I go natural, I will most likely loc my hair. To each their own!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Why not braid or weave until it grows out some more..then decide from there if you wanna relax ?
I don't believe I'll change my mind, but I'll keep this under consideration. Maybe if my natural hair were longer, It would be less stressful for me. I just look like a juvenile with my hair in baby twists and the hair in the front of my forehead is getting strait due to the use of head bands. I feel like I'm ruining the health of my hair and the single strand knots are ruining my retention. I have to do what I feel is best for me and my hair.

Last edited:

ParagonTresses

It's been less than a year since my BC and I'm still very much enjoying my natural hair but I'm not against relaxing again if the mood hit me. I've learned healthy hair practices so I believe my hair will thrive with or without chemical processes.

SignatureBeauty

I wish I knew how to braid or weave myself, but I can't I bought braids by bresiln and I just couldn't do it, I thought about Crochets, but I don't think I can do it, if I could do all these myself, I would stay natural, but I can't afford the braids or weaves.