Do you find Naturals who...

At what point will at Natural have more thickness when she decide to relax?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

*C00KIE*

relax their hair at BSL with thicker/fuller hair than naturals who decided to relax at SL or APL?? Or were you a natural with BSL hair who decided to relax.. did you find your hair thicker when you waited to relax your hair at BSL then relax it when it was only SL or APL (I speaking full headed naturals, or damn close)? Okay, reason for me asking is because although I love my natural hair, I prefer to spend less time w/ it. Lucky for me I love BIG hair period. I would like to know should I wait and get a relaxer when I am BSL (which is going to be a long, rocky road) or should I go ahead and relax now, now that I am approaching APL and SL around the crown? When will my hair still have that thick look (like sylvr and them...)? Relaxing now? Or at BSL? Your experiences? Your thoughts? ...Anything? :perplexed

cmw45

So I think I understand the rationale for your question but I don't really think the "timing" perse really matters. I think what is most important is the length of time you leave the chemical on. For example, I think Sylver's hair is not fully relaxed or she leaves it on there for a shorter period of time. I think having longer hair means that you have more styling options. Which is why someone with BSL length lightly relaxed hair might look neat where someone with short lightly relaxed hair might just look unfinished. I hope this makes sense.

justsimply

I think having thick hair does not depend on length. If your hair is thick, it will be thick short and still thick long (unless some damage has occured that you are recovering from). When you relax it will feel thinner compared to when you were natural. Stillalady has thick relaxed hair, but she had thick natural hair. I'm wouldn't bet my life on it, but from the look of her pictures her hair was thick when it was shorter also.

*C00KIE*

So I think I understand the rationale for your question but I don't really think the "timing" perse really matters. I think what is most important is the length of time you leave the chemical on. For example, I think Sylver's hair is not fully relaxed or she leaves it on there for a shorter period of time. I think having longer hair means that you have more styling options. Which is why someone with BSL length lightly relaxed hair might look neat where someone with short lightly relaxed hair might just look unfinished. I hope this makes sense.

This makes a lot of sense. MMMM. I guess i just fell when relax shedding happens more than being natural because of the chemicals in a relaxer so within time it thins the hair out a bit... I wonder how long do sylver leaves her relaxer on. Ladies how long do you leave your relaxer on?

Kneechay

I think it really depends on the strength of your relaxer and how long you leave it on during the process application. I've known several thick haired naturals that their hair looked thin after relaxing because they used a strong relaxer and left it on longer to fully process their hair. I dont know much about texlaxing, but I think that its when you leave the relaxer in your hair for a shorter processing time. I've seen lots of once natural ladies who've retained great thickness and the 'big hair' look by doing this. For example, TurnerGirl's Fotki. Check it out. I also think Sylver retains some thickness by stretching, like her current 1 year stretch.

If I were you, I'd wait until I reach that APL milestone to make any decisions, just in case you have a setback, but I don't think that WHEN you relax affects your thickness, but rather HOW.

Hope this helps.

*C00KIE*

:lick:
I think it really depends on the strength of your relaxer and how long you leave it on during the process application. I've known several thick haired naturals that their hair looked thin after relaxing because they used a strong relaxer and left it on longer to fully process their hair. I dont know much about texlaxing, but I think that its when you leave the relaxer in your hair for a shorter processing time. I've seen lots of once natural ladies who've retained great thickness and the 'big hair' look by doing this. For example, TurnerGirl's Fotki. Check it out. I also think Sylver retains some thickness by stretching, like her current 1 year stretch.

If I were you, I'd wait until I reach that APL milestone to make any decisions, just in case you have a setback, but I don't think that WHEN you relax affects your thickness, but rather HOW.

Hope this helps.

What you are saying makes sense to me, maybe that is the reason why touching up the new growth only is very necessary to not thin out the already relax hair even more... maybe that is why a protein treatment before a relaxer makes your hair feel better... from what I have been hearing... maybe the protein treatment prevents it from being too thin after a relaxer is applied...

BUMP BUMP BUMP :lick:

sylver2

This makes a lot of sense. MMMM. I guess i just fell when relax shedding happens more than being natural because of the chemicals in a relaxer so within time it thins the hair out a bit... I wonder how long do sylver leaves her relaxer on. Ladies how long do you leave your relaxer on?
Hey Cookie. I relax until my hair is bone straight which means more smooothing and leave on for a longer period of time. I'm not sure how long. maybe 25 mins or more. I'll make sure to time it on my next touchup. My hair was always thick though. I also stretch my touchups ..6 months at a time.

*C00KIE*

^^^Thank you for the reply. In that case it seems like streching keeps your hair at a thick/fuller state but your hair is naturally thick/fully

tffy2004

I have been thinking about relaxing my hair again. But I don't want to do it too soon. Then again I want to do it soon because there will be a newborn here soon and I want to do something fast.

I flat ironed my hair about a week ago and my length right now is just past shoulder length. I think I may relax later than sooner. Don't know yet.