Naturals who would relax again

Would you ever consider relaxing your hair again?

• Yes...I have more knowledge on hair care now

Votes: 67 25.4%
  • No....relaxing can only cause damage

Votes: 144 54.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 53 20.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've been going back and forth for the last year over the thought of relaxing. I've never really had a relaxer, had one for 6 months before a BIG chop and then I had a texturizer for about 6 before I started transitioning.

I like the variety w/natural hair but I also like straight hair. So I'm getting a straight weave in a couple of weeks (by Reniece :grin: :grin:) to see how much I really like straight hair :yep:

Although I've only been an adult natural for barely 2 months...I've in lub and don't want to go back lol!

So I plan not to relax again but you just never know. (Probably not though)

i only ever considered it when my hair was much shorter and i didn't like how it looked. getting used to being natural took a while for me. however, i have hardly no positive memories of being relaxed (i literally only have one).

i would not consider relaxing now and haven't thought about it being a viable option in some time. i strongly doubt i would ever relax again since my hair never thrived or looked good when relaxed.

I go back and forth with the idea quite a bit. But it's more likely that I'll go back to regular heat use than relaxing.

My hair is prone to single strand knotting. Not just the ends but up the shaft. I'm trying to wear my hair in twists more often to combat it, but as soon as I take them down, shed hair seems to help the rest of the hair knot up.

This is what I've done.

I'm using heat more often in an attempt to combat shedding and single strand knots. So far so good. :yep:

I thought about it several times because I was becoming so frustrated with my hair. I finally got out of that frame of mind and said, NO! Never again. I also thought about the pros and cons and I don't think I'd relax my hair again because my hair is much more strong and healthier being natural.

Last edited:
Well, I can say with 200% certainty...HELL NO.

I was first relaxed at 3, and the only reason I stayed relaxed was because I had never known/seen any different. If I saw a black woman who wasn't relaxed, she was either bald or loc'ed.

If I get tired of my naps, I'll loc, or shave my head, and rock lacefronts. :perplexed

I'm not relaxing ever again.

No, not really. I can't see the point. I can do so much more with my hair now than I ever did when it was relaxed. Straight hair seems infinitely boring to me now.

Nope...I was natural for 4 years wanted a relaxer so I relaxed my hair it fell out/broke off over a 8 month period so I went back natural again. But I had zero knowledge and my stylists was not into hair care at all....

No more chemicals, scab hair, burns, non of that stuff for me. I look better as a natural, it suits my face and personality. I LOVE big hair!

Straight hair all looks the same to me. But that's because a majority of the world population wears their hair STRAIGHT or slightly wavy. So when I wear my big nappy hair or a nappy weave, I get lots of stares and compliments. I LOVE standing out in a crowd.

I put on a straight wig yesterday and I felt like I lost my flair. :nono: Straight isn't for me.

gotta co-sign with these statements. i got burned nearly every time my hair was relaxed. currently, i'm in braid extensions i miss my hair even though they've been in for less than one month. there are not many black women on my campus but i'm finding when i do come across them we have the same damn hairstyle :sad:.

I don't want to start a big ole debate here but if you don't have control of your moisture issue as a natural head, how will it be any different after you relax?
For people who want to relax again, do it if you feel it will suit your lifestyle or you like the look or whatever. Even though you know you shouldn't lol...
To relax because of hair issues, (moisture, tangles, knots, managability) is only asking for additional problems IMHO.
Either way, I hope that you get your moisture issues under control because I was dealing with the same thing and I FINALLY got it figured out :grin:

Because I already know what works to moisturize my relaxed hair. So far, it has proven to be easier to keep my relaxed hair moisturized than my natural hair. I've spent way to much money on products and I'm started to get a little tired of trying. But I'm trying to give myself 1.5 - 2 yrs as a natural before I make any decisions about relaxing again.

Because I already know what works to moisturize my relaxed hair. So far, it has proven to be easier to keep my relaxed hair moisturized than my natural hair. I've spent way to much money on products and I'm started to get a little tired of trying. But I'm trying to give myself 1.5 - 2 yrs as a natural before I make any decisions about relaxing again.

I'm trying not to give in to my pj habit :rolleyes:, it's just too expensive. That's why I am going the homemade route. :yep:
I hope you find something that works for you :yep: and I am glad you are going to give it some time.

I've been natural almost my whole life, expect for a year I relaxed my hair when I was 20. I didn't know to much about taking care of my hair and it fell out and I went back natural but given the information I know now, I'm confident that I could maintain a relaxed head. I'm not in a rush to go out and relax my hair tomorrow, but I have considered relaxing my hair once my journey ends.

I was natural for 2 years. My reason for going natural was because my hair was so thin. I relaxed again and it was even thinner. So, now I'm natural again and I plan to stay this way because as I age, it will only get thinner. By the time I'm 60, I would probably be bald if I continue to relax.

Never say never, but I am 99.9% sure that I will never relax again. Like others have stated, it suits me and my lifestyle better. And I feel like relaxing is too much work for me. You gotta make sure you don't overlap. Play around with moisture and protein. I just feel like I am "home" with natural hair. I wish I had done this years ago.

I'm not natural, but I'm currently transitioning. Once I'm fully natural, I don't plan on ever relaxing my hair again because my hair is not meant to be straight. I think straight hair is overrated anyway. I mean sure, it's long and it's straight but that's all it can do. Most white people that I know can't even hold a curl in their hair. They'll get their hair done at the salon and as soon as they leave, the curls start dropping.

One of the previous posters said that they relaxed their hair and it still wasn't straight. My hair is the same way. I think no matter what we do, our hair will always try to revert back to it's natural state, curly, regardless if it's relaxed or pressed or whatever.

Nope, Ive been natural for a majority of my life and I prefer my hair natural more than relaxed. i like to switch between my curls and flatiron look

I don't think so. I've been natural for 6 yrs now. It's been a long, hard road, but I really love my natural hair. Family members ask me all the time if I'll go back to relaxers but I always tell them no.

The only thing I miss about relaxed hair is the fullness and body of roller-sets. I like big hair, and when I get it pressed it becomes really flat. If I figure out a way to get volume with pressed hair, it will definitely be a wrap then.

I've been transitioning for over a year and this is the first time I've been able to retain my hair growth. I've been slowly getting rid of my permed ends but I do plan on relaxing in the future. I keep my hair braided and washing my hair has been an absolute nightmare. But who knows, maybe once I go completely natural, I'll be to a point where I can deal with my hair in its natural state better. It just goes to show though that being natural isn't for everyone.

I've been thinking about it but I think it's because My hair is at a wierd length where I can't do much with it so it gets annoying

NEVAAAA!

Being relaxed was so much more work.

The burns were horrible, I always burned...it hurt every time. The burns took such a long time to heal.

I was hurting myself every few weeks. My hair was still thick and pretty strong, but not what it was when I was younger.

I also stayed relaxed for the wrong reason: to fit in.

I was relaxed at 10, with not a lot, if any imput and suffered under trying to stay straight or an "acceptable" type of curly until 6 months ago.

NO more.

For those that it works for -happy hair growing! Let's reach our goals relaxed or natural! :grin:

But as for me...no, no, a thousand times NO!

My only dislike of where I am now is that I always had at least 14" of hair...now I don't...and it's sooo boring. I changed my style every day before. Only for a time...only for a time....

I've struggled with this topic myself. Especially when I see all of these wonderful (& healthy) heads of relaxed hair; I'm tempted. But...I really am enjoying my natural texture & as long as I can straighten with heat & get a relaxed look I think I'll remain relaxer free.

Naw, although I have thought about it before I've never seriously considered it. Its been 8 years now and I don't plan to go back.

I don't think I would. I like what I've got going on so far.

But I've always wondered what would happen if we started a thread: Relaxers who would go natural (again)...

Back