Naturals who use rinses in a color OTHER than black: Help!

gimbap

NATURALS: How do you get rinses in brown, red, etc. to show up on your hair? I just used a Clairol Jazzing rinse in a bronze/copper red color for about 40 min, with heat, and my hair laughed at it. Any suggestions?

naturaline

yeh ive used stargazer in a red and it showed up ;-) it doesnt look dyed but tinted.
my sister has used a couple different ones too i ask her which one they were and post later.

danigurl18

I use red rinses and it always shows up.. myabe it's because my original hair color is sandy brown.. I wash and leave it on for 30 minutes and then follow up with a deep condition

sholly6

I would like to know as well I always rinse my hair black. I like to make a change a least for the up coming year bumping for more information.

Susan

RubyWoo

If your natural hair color is black, you won't see much color change unless you go in the sun. And even then you may still not see a change. To see color change you're going to have to use a permanent color that is lighter than your hair or lift w/bleach(I personally don't recommend this unless you go to a professional).

Another alternative is to use a demi-permanent. It lasts longer than a rinse (about 24-28 shampoos) but is not permanent. Demis usually have a very small amount of hydrogen peroxide that slightly lifts the cuticle to get some color penetrated into in your hair as opposed to just coating your hair like a rinse would do. However, please don't expect a dramatic color change with a demi if you hair is naturally black.

My natural hair color is a dark brown with red tone and I've used a red demi permanent to get some color. I use permanent color (textures and tones) on the front of my hair for a more vibrant red and demi permanent on the rest of my hair.

Last edited:

discobiscuits

I've used dark n lovely auburn and got a nice shade w bright highlihfs on my grays (see my fotki) currently I use clairol beautiful with better results. My natural color is brown.

caramelcutieinva

My hair already has red tones and when I apply the rinse I leave it on much longer and then deep condition.

I use a copper or red rinse usually