Naturals who own Denmans....

zzirvingj

....I have some questions for you!

Are all Denmans basically the same? (I understand there are several "versions", i.e. "D4")

Are they easier on the hair than a regular "paddle brush"?

For those who have used a comb to detangle with before (like the K-cutter, or a wide-toothed comb)...is the denman better at detangling than your comb?

I just bought the D3 yesterday and used the brush this morning. I love this brush so much. I detangled with my fingers and a wide tooth comb first and then used the brush. Detangling was fairly easy. I also recently bought a paddle brush, and I prefer the D3 better. The paddle brush was alright.

I'm not sure. I have the D3 (I think). I've learned that the best way to use the denman on my hair is to wash in twists (about 8 for me), unravel one twist, apply a glob of conditioner, comb through with a wide tooth comb, then put oil (jojoba, olive or whatever) on that section (provides even more slip), and use the denman from the ends up. Retwist the section and move on to the next. I hold on to the section firmly with my free hand, so that I'm doing almost zero tugging at the scalp.

I never ever run it completely from root to tip no matter how detangled my hair is. I think that's a sure fire way to pull your hair out with this brush. Plus, there really is no need to if your aim is to just get the shed hair out. Thsi has been working like a charm! Takes about 30 minutes for me to completely get the job done.:grin:

HTH

I'm not sure. I have the D3 (I think). I've learned that the best way to use the denman on my hair is to wash in twists (about 8 for me), unravel one twist, apply a glob of conditioner, comb through with a wide tooth comb, then put oil (jojoba, olive or whatever) on that section (provides even more slip), and use the denman from the ends up. Retwist the section and move on to the next. I hold on to the section firmly with my free hand, so that I'm doing almost zero tugging at the scalp.

I never ever run it completely from root to tip no matter how detangled my hair is. I think that's a sure fire way to pull your hair out with this brush. Plus, there really is no need to if your aim is to just get the shed hair out. Thsi has been working like a charm! Takes about 30 minutes for me to completely get the job done.:grin:

HTH

Thank you so much for saying "wash in twists". I was just considering how I am going to tackle my hair for the next wash and I couldn't imagine just washing my hair with it all out. I will definitely do this to help with the detangle process.

Are all Denmans basically the same? I had no idea there were several versions, I just own the regular one

Are they easier on the hair than a regular "paddle brush"? I've never used a paddle brush on my hair, I'm gonna buy one though to wrap my hair when I straighten it

For those who have used a comb to detangle with before (like the K-cutter, or a wide-toothed comb)...is the denman better at detangling than your comb? The denman does a better job than a wide toothed comb because the teeth are finer, but it's harder to get through the ends though (this is just my personal opinion).

ps: I have 4a/b hair

Shani....The comb is really good at loosening up the tangles; but not good at getting the shed hairs out of the brush (so to speak). That's where the Denman comes in for me. If I don't loosen things up with the comb first, the Denman then becomes more of a liability than an asset. It causes damage (for me) and takes longer to detangle.

I have an Aveda paddle brush and a Denman D3. I prefer the D3 when I'm smoothing my strands (smaller sections) and I use the paddle brush in the shower. They work the same for detangling, but it does seem as if the denman leaves the hair smoother (not as puffy), if that makes sense.

I have an Aveda paddle brush and a Denman D3. I prefer the D3 when I'm smoothing my strands (smaller sections) and I use the paddle brush in the shower. They work the same for detangling, but it does seem as if the denman leaves the hair smoother (not as puffy), if that makes sense.

I agree. It definitely de-bulks and makes the ends super curly/spirally (which is great if you're doing twists or a twist out).

I have a denman and have only used it a coupld times for detangling...

I'm thinking about getting another type of brush for my 4a/b hair. Too much hair for me being pulled. It may be normal, but I just plianly don't like seeing it.

I'm thinking that a boar bristle brush especially for when I want ot pull my hair into a bun/ponytail or even slick it back a bit might be better for me.

I'm considering this brush:
Kakakiki.jpg

Anyone own or ever tried this one?

I have the D4 and the D3, I think the D3 is harsher, I don't use it, I have a Goody Paddle brush that I like more. My D4 is busted so yeah...

I made my SO buy me that brush for Xmas! I just touched the bristles of that brush in Walmart one day and just knew I had to have it! They felt wonderful! But anyway, I do have the denman but I wouldn't dare to use it alone for detangling. I use my shower comb first then the denman. It de-bulks my hair so when I blow dry my hair with it, it's a lot smoother and hangs down instead of out. I have a D3 and have only used that so I really don't know the difference. I believe the Does the Denman Brush Cause Damage thread lists the differences and the different uses for each brush.

I have a denman and have only used it a coupld times for detangling...

I'm thinking about getting another type of brush for my 4a/b hair. Too much hair for me being pulled. It may be normal, but I just plianly don't like seeing it.

I'm thinking that a boar bristle brush especially for when I want ot pull my hair into a bun/ponytail or even slick it back a bit might be better for me.

I'm considering this brush:
Kakakiki.jpg

Anyone own or ever tried this one?

I know it's sold on honeyfig.com but I've never used it, I would like to try it though...it's specifically for 'our' hair.

I heard about this & wanted to try it, but couldnt find it in stores:( But I have the denman, and I only used that and my Jilbere to detangle. Regular paddle brushes tend to snag my hair easy. I love the rows in the D3. I kinda wanna try a denman w/ more rows...if it exist:ohwell:

I saw it at Walmart, and I believe Target has it as well (they do on the website anyway)

I think the differences are just in the number of rows or teeth or something. I have the d3 and I love it. I always used either my fingers or a wide toothed comb first and then use the denman. It is much more effective at removing shed hairs than the comb.

I have this Denman brush (not sure, but I think it's a D7):
denmanbrush-vi.jpg

I've used a wide tooth comb, a comb similar to the K-cutter comb, and I've used paddle brushes. Honestly for me, the Denman does detangle just a bit better, but I really use it not for it's detangling powers but for the way it makes my curls look after I use it (they form more perfect, and larger spiral curls).

ETA:
I have the Goody jojoba brush and that brush is the only one I've used which gives the Denman a run for its money (and it's more gentle). I like the Denman more b/c I don't think I can use the Goody brush in the shower (IDK).

Last edited:
I have a d3. I love this brush!. It works best for me when my hair has loads of conditioner in it. It is excellent for detangling and removing shedded hair after taking down my 4-8 week-old cornrows.

Back