NATURALS: How often are you detangling?

Braided~Beauty

Specifically with your denmans?
My hair is about mid back streched out and I find that if I do not detangle frequently I end up with a big tangled mess.
Finger combing does not work - or just the wide tooth comb alone. It seems like they break up my coils too much causing them to tangle over themselves more.
As opposed to the denman which clumps them together, where they stay until I wash again.

So anyway, what I am wondering is - how often is okay to be detangling with the denman without causing too much manipulation or damage??

Right now I try to wait 2 or 3 days but beyond that it gets so knotty I have to brush it out.
Oh, I guess I should add that my hair is usually out, save the occasional bun here and there, so maybe thats part of my prob?:ohwell:

KEWLKAT103

Well my hair is about APL and I detangle with the denman once per week. I may do a second detangling during the week with my jilbere comb, but that's rare.
I wear a braided bun daily and rarely wear my hair out though, so I don't get to knotty and tangled.

Cichelle

I have tangly hair that needs to be detangled several times a week. I do not use a denman brush until I have already detangled my hair with my fingers and a seamless comb. I use the denman to remove any remaining shed hair. It's very helpful for this purpose. Shed hair is what causes most of my tangling woes.

Braided~Beauty

I have tangly hair that needs to be detangled several times a week. I do not use a denman brush until I have already detangled my hair with my fingers and a seamless comb. I use the denman to remove any remaining shed hair. It's very helpful for this purpose. Shed hair is what causes most of my tangling woes.

Yep, this is me exactly:yep:
I detangle with the comb first then the denman as well.
Good to know I can keep detangling and still still make it tailbone like you have:grin:

discobiscuits

every time i shampoo. but that is more a default b/c i don't use my denman for detangling but b/c it is the best for handling my hair wet or dry.

laurend

I fingercomb once a week when I wash my hair and I detangle with a wide tooth comb every three weeks. I started this process in February and my hair has grown a lot. My hair touches my exercise bra(my standard) and it sits really low on my back. In February my hair was about an inch from my bra. Sorry I w have no pictures to share but maybe in the future if I will buy a camera.

remnant

Oh, I guess I should add that my hair is usually out, save the occasional bun here and there, so maybe thats part of my prob?:ohwell:

IMO it is the culprit:yep:
I'm BS and detangle once a week or once every 5 weeks if i'm in protective style
I will never ever let my hair out unbraid more than two days:nono: ....too much tangles
I detangle with fingers followed by a wide tooth comb and finally I use my brush

~~HoneyComb~~

I detangle once a week, but in between I am wearing it in twists at night to cut down on the tangles, other than that I cannot just wear my hair out or it's a disaster.

Braided~Beauty

Thanks everyone for the replys!

I also have my hair tied up at night in braids or a bun.
I could not imagine detangling only weekly though. Maybe I just shead A LOT of hair or something but it would be a nightmare - even if my hair was protected the entire week. I'd be pulling out clumps of hair! :spinning:

Cheleigh

In an ideal world, every 5 days. My goal is at least once weekly. The longest I've gone is three weeks (and it's always a disaster).

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Every time I wash my hair I detangle my hair. That's 1-2 times a week.

I think the finer/thinner your strands are, the more often you need to detangle. This has nothing to do with hair type 3, 4 etc. Just the thickness of your strands.

justNikki

Denman or that Aveda Paddle brush...once a week. I usually comb whenever it's wet though, so, sometimes that's twice a week and sometimes it's daily.

I use my paul mitchell brush (very similar to denman) in the shower after I wash my hair and it is soaked with conditioner. I try not to detangle my hair while its dry.... And by try not to I mean havent done it in years!

discobiscuits

I had to add to my other post. I don't really detangle. If I shampoo incorrectly then I will get tangled hair and I use my fingers and a shower comb. My Denman brush I use after that to smooth my hair and get it into the hair tie but it does detangle if I use it that way.

LayneJ

I detangle 1x/wk.

I've gone up to 2 weeks before, but I shed a lot, and it's always a hassle when I go that long.

gmw

It really depends.

Like right now I am doing twists and twistouts which require that I detangle whenever I wash.

However when I wash more frequently (summer) I detangle everytime.

Jynkx

I use my paul mitchell brush (very similar to denman) in the shower after I wash my hair and it is soaked with conditioner. I try not to detangle my hair while its dry.... And by try not to I mean havent done it in years![/quote]

this is me too. lol
i used to go weeks sometimes and i would end up with horrible tangly dreds.....:wallbash:....this is a big part of my hair having thinned out. but now since finding yall i had been doing prepoo's followed by conditioning/detangling. but lately, i have been conditioning detangling every night. just for the last week or two, i dont keep track of everything, i can barely keep track of myself...lol. :spinning:

C

cieramichele

Im transitioning but I detangle my hair ONLY with running water RIGHT over it for slip..age.

What do you gals thing about that? Too much?

Jynkx

Im transitioning but I detangle my hair ONLY with running water RIGHT over it for slip..age.

What do you gals thing about that? Too much?

this is what i do too and if i hit a snag and my conditioner run out.....oh well, re-apply baby, reapply!

CurleeDST

I really should detangle every other day AT THE MOST b/c my hair will LOC if I am not diligent about detangling on a regular basis!

Starr1

I like to detangle about 2x a week in the shower with a head full of conditioner. . . any less than that is just asking for trouble.

Braided~Beauty

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :kiss:
I seems like most of you are making it to at least a week. I think I might try to go for three days with the last day bunned up, any longer than that and :nono:
With longer hair I would imagine the shed hair problem would be more of an issue. Has anyone noticed that they are having to detangle more often as their hair gets longer??

Jynkx

Thanks for all the feedback everyone :kiss:
I seems like most of you are making it to at least a week. I think I might try to go for three days with the last day bunned up, any longer than that and :nono:
With longer hair I would imagine the shed hair problem would be more of an issue. Has anyone noticed that they are having to detangle more often as their hair gets longer??

i would say yes. a couple a weeks ago i went three days with out taking acre of it and i was like wtf its been 3 days. tangles everywhere. thats when i swithched up to every day for now. and as long as the weather is warm enough i may stay at daily.