Naturals who heat straighten

tinycoils

Hello everyone.

I have been a lurker for ages & ages and I finally decided to take the plunge and join.

Backround Info
I have been natural for 9ish years and I have recently gone though about 2 years where I was just tired of my hair. Not tired enough to relax or use any chemicals but I really stopped actively taking any special care of it. I would basically conditioner wash and throw it up into a bun. I even cut 10 inches last year so I wouldn't have so much to work with.

Now I am back into my hair and I would like to grow it out agian but I so out of the loop on products and techniques so thank goodness for LHCF.

I also have a 11yr daughter who is just now really getting into her hair. We are both natural 3c/4a hair types and my daughter has been beggin me for a relaxer lately much to my chagrin. So I figure the only way I can get her off this relaxer trip is to start heat straightening her hair. We has a talk yesterday and I told her that I would be willing to start heat straightening her hair every other week if she promised to wear it curly on the other week and take very good care of it. She thought this was a good idea but she like me has been a slave to the bun and she really hasn't been doing anything special with her hair. I am wondering if she will become overwhelmed at how much work it takes to maintain healthy hair compared to what she has been doing.

So yesterday I took her to a bubbles salon and this white stylist gave her a much needed trim and flat ironed her hair - she did a really good job even though I was a little concerned when I walked in and saw that she was white. She did such a good job that I am thinking of letting her trim my hair!!! :grin:

Question
Anyways, I know that there are some naturals on here to who heat straighten and I was hoping that you can give me some direction on what technique/products to use to keep my daughters hair healthy. I figure the best way to keep her from relaxing in the future (meaning when she is out of my house) is to show her how versitile her natural hair is.

TIA

I'm natural and I use an old school straightening comb to get my hair silky straight.

I wash and do my usual reggie, I blow dry and then use CHI heat protectant and hot comb it...some ladies might be opposed to this method but a flat iron does nothing for my hair. I get better longevity and straightning with the comb so I can use less heat throughout the duration of my press out.

Pics are in fotki

tinycoils

Thanks Born Again! I am just wondering why you stopped pressing your hair? Do you start to experience adverse effects from the heat?

msa

here are some links:

www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=6404921
www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=274495
www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=321369

Thanks Born Again! I am just wondering why you stopped pressing your hair? Do you start to experience adverse effects from the heat?

I only really ceased the press outs because I joined the 09' Bootcamp and the strict :spank: rules call for no direct heat.... And also I wanted to see if heat was stumping the maximum growith of my hair. See my hair was growing pretty healthy when I was getting press and curls but not as long as I wanted it (my goal is WL) so I thought maybe I would try to elminate heat and see the results of it.

So I'm stuck with styles like the one below for the next 300 and something days :perplexed

Fine 4s

If you must straighten I'd def. do the following:

1.Make sure to regularly DC your hair
2.When your (or your daughter's hair) gets dry just wash it (however way you do with baking soda and water, condish or poos) and give it the moisture it needs.
3.If you don't need bone straight hair, try a roller set, heat protectant and blow out the roots for cheap - try the DR salons or a ponytail rollerset
4.For special occasions she could get it professionally straighten but not too often as the stylist may apply too much heat
5. Be creative and think of ways to get the straight hair look with less heat. For example, if you can, skip the blowdrying step and airdry overnight or band the hair and sit under the dryer or band the hair overnight and then use a pressing comb/flat iron. Some can also skip the the curling and just blow dry and pin curl or rollerset on dry hair with a lil' alcohol free mousse? There are many ways to cut out the unecessary heat when you really aren't doing anything special IMO.

Natural:

6. Show her other natural styles that can give her hair some rest in between. Like a flat twist updo which can last 2-3 weeks with proper care. For example a party is on Feb 14. Maybe I'll do protective styles and kill it with moisture in from now until my hair apt.
7. Def. show the default bunned hair slicked back without get with a headscarf. If a heavy moisturizer like shea butter & spritz doesn't work (and I mean AFTER the scarf has been removed at which point nothing should be added again) THEN introduce a non alcoholic gel OR that JAM gel.
8.Def. show her the power of a braidout/twist-out!!!

That's all I got now...

Fine 4s

I only really ceased the press outs because I joined the 09' Bootcamp and the strict :spank: rules call for no direct heat.... And also I wanted to see if heat was stumping the maximum growth of my hair. See my hair was growth pretty healthy when I was getting press and curls but not as long as I wanted it (my goal os WL) so I thought maybe I would try to elminate heat and see the results of it.

So I'm stuck with styles like the one below for the next 300 and something days :perplexed

I hope the no heat and low mani works for you...that's the KEY ingredient for me and I'm on my way to WL so ...get it guuuuuuuurl!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
This is what I do with my natural hair to straighten it...

After washing and conditioning, I blowdry with comb attachment in sections with Chi Silk Fusion... then I use my Chi flat iron to straighten my hair. I use Proclaim Bergamot hair grease on each section that I straighten...

That's it. My hair is healthy and retaining length.

Dak

I second the suggestion to always deep condition. That has really helped my hair stay healthy. I also roller set. When I flat iron I use Sabrino's Moisture Block, I can't recommend it highly enough. Protects my hair from the heat and helps keep it straight.