Any naturals who NEVER straighten?

CurliDiva

Are there any naturals here who NEVER straighten their hair? Not even for length comparsion or progress photos?

If so, what led you to this decision?

I ask because I viewed the album of a beautifully long natural who basically believes in honoring her nappy hair by never straightening. This seemed pretty radical to me, but I appreciate her love of her natural texture.

I haven't straightened my hair in nearly 2 years, but I also protect (hide) my growth. I ask because I have not decided what to do with my hair once I reach my ultimate goal of mid-back. I definitely know that I will NEVER relax my hair!

Is straightening sort of a given to get that length “wow” effect for a natural?

lipyt

I will never str8en my hair. When I first became natural I did get it pressed and my hair NEVER went back to its origonal texture! I deep conditioned I did this and that for months before I had to just cut it off. I don't want my texture to get messed up. I don't evern blow dry it. If I want it to be a bit str8er the only thing I will do is braid it in 4 or 5 braids every night until it is str8er

SexySin985

OMG Girl get outta my head. I was about to make a thread about this exact same topic later on tonight!!!!

I was talking to one of my cousins who has been a natural all her life (24 years). She has some THICK 4b hair and I love it so much. I have never seen her hair straightened and she has never straightened it before, until her graduation and couple months back.

Now unstreched her hair reaches to her backbone. She has MAJOR shrinkage. She recently graduated college and wanted to do something different for the ceremony. So she decided to get it professionally washed, conditioned, flat ironed and trimmed.

When I seen her at her graduation my jaw just dropped. Her hair was a lil bit past mid back and nearing waist length. Plus she said the stylist trimmed about 2 1/2 inches (that sounds more like a cut to me:rolleyes:). I was so shocked at how shrinkage can really fool ya cuz it sure fooled me!

She says this is the first time in her life that she has seen the true length of her hair. So that got me to thinking if there were any other naturals who never straightened.

Sorry for the long rant, lol:look:

Poobity

Unfortunately, no. I'm trying to get there, though. I only straighten once or twice a year. Trying to get that to 0 times a year, lol.

realitychk

I've been natural for a year and have never straightened my hair. I have thick 4b hair and I think the amount of heat it would take to really straighten it would be too damaging. Plus I love my fro:grin:

IrisDaVirus

I don't. There was a time where I would only straighten it via pressing to trim it but I don't do that anymore. Even during those times when I would do the occasional press, it would take a ton of heat to get it straight and my hair didn't like it too well.

Last edited:

Str8~Curly

The last time I straightened was roughly three months ago, but I think I’m done for good. My curls have not been as defined as they were before then. They have recovered some since then, but not completely. After I washed for the first time after flat ironing then, my hair was still straight, like water never touched it. I still haven’t gotten rid of my flat iron, but I really would like to never use it again.

harrison

I haven't straightened my hair so far this year. But I think I will for my anniversary. Last year I straightened it once for a special event.

Its not really a big deal for me to see it straight. I get more excited about seeing is healthy and soft.

adw425

I straightened in December 2006 and in July 2007. Prior to December 2006, I had not straightened since November 2005, so...I am not a NEVER, but I hardly ever straighten.

ETA: I am not opposed to straightening, but the tension from the elastic band does the job and I always wear my hair in a bun. I love wearing my bun, but I have straightened for a couple of special occasions. I work out Monday through Friday and the weather here is usually pretty humid for six or seven or more out the year and I wet my hair daily, so my lifestyle is not conducive to straightening.

Last edited:

lsw29

I do straighten but I would love to get to the point where I only do it once or twice a year.

NewYorkgyrl

Since I cut off my relaxed ends (March 26th) and became 100% natural I have NOT straightened my hair. (Matter of fact I haven't straightned it in over a year).

But I wouldn't say this pertains to me because I might just decide to straighten one day just for a change. MAYBE. Not any time soon....I'm scared of heat damage. It happened to my sisters hair the FIRST time she straightned her hair and now she says she may never straighten again. Yikes!

JustKiya

If there was a way to straighten without using heat or chemicals, I would, just out of curiousity - I mean, stretching your hair gives you a good idea of length, but there is something different about stretched and straight.

After my previous experiences, a relaxer is coming no where NEAR this scalp, and I'm scurred of heat - I have fine, wiry, strands, and something tells me that my hair will burn 0.032 milliseconds after it's perfectly straight - nuhuh. :perplexed Besides, the smell of lightly scorched hair makes me wanna hurl.

I'm trying to talk myself into MAYBE getting a blowout done for my 2 year anniversary, but I suspect it'll be more like 5 years, just because I'm so scared.... :lachen:Besides, by that time it'll be REALLY impressive.

youwillrise

i actually straightened for the first time about a week ago - it'd been over 2 years since my hair had any heat on it. . i always said i'd never use heat on my hair again, but i guess while i still find myself a bit paranoid about it (heat damage and such - i actually ended up washing my hair out about a half hour later to make sure my hair was still a-ok )...i do feel a bit more comfortable. i definitely wont overdo it. i'll probably try and keep it to a once or twice a year minimum for length checks.

Cichelle

I don't straighten my hair. Or rather, I haven't in a few years. I have let it dry banded, which stretched it out. But no heat. That's not because I don't want to. I'm just scared. I bought an ionic blow dryer for occasional use on my daughter's hair and now I'm tempted to use it on mine. I know it won't be any time soon, but maybe on the third anniversary of the big chop, which will be next summer. I can't imagine using heat will ever be a regular thing for me.

brownsugarflyygirl

I have only had my hair straightened three times since being completely natural. However, I dont think that I will be a NEVER EVER straightener because I like the versatility.

Its an interesting concept though....glad you started this thread....I never thought about that :look:

Do you have pics/links to this NO HEAT 4a natural?

luv04

I never have straightened mine. I think its due to two things. 1. Im afraid of heat. and messing up my texture and 2. I know it will take forever..lol. but i mean for now i like wearing it natural. but who knows what the future holds. ive blow dried a few times(2-3) but i go right back to my natural texture.:)

Kookie

I've only blow dried my hair a little straight just once since being 100% natural---and that was just tooooooooo much work for my tastes. Afterwards, I had intentions of flat ironing it to something straighter than what a blowdryer could do---but the blow drying tired me out. So I just ended up washing after a couple of days.

But having it "straight-straight"....I have not done that yet.
And really...I don't have a burning desire to do it---but would like to give it a try one day.
I'm thinking I wouldn't have a problem doing it once a year (at the end of the year)....just for a change up and to be able to show the length achieved without shrinkage---while simulating a "relaxed" look.

As others have mentioned, I'm also TERRIFIED of all the heat damage horror stories I hear.....
But with all the research I've read/learned...I'm thinking I'll be okay. :)

LayneJ

I'm trying to get to that point. I've straightened twice since my BC this March, but I want to get to the point where I don't use heat at all.

The problem is, I've seen so much progress in such a short time, it's hard for me not to be tempted. I started off as neck length, now I'm already past shoulder length. As it stands now, I want to only straighten at important marks (APL; BSL; MB; WSL).

I don't know though. I want to get to that point, but I honestly don't think it'll be anytime soon. :ohwell:

miss Congeniality

In the 2+ years that I have been natural, I haven't straighten my hair at all. I have used a hair dryer, but no straight hair. I am tempted to do it for graduation, but I am too scared of damage. I have heard way too many horror stories.

RubyWoo

I'm not natural but my sister is and she has never straightened her hair in all her 6-7 years of being natural. She hasn't even used a blow dryer (she air drys). She bought a hot comb once because she wanted to try straightening it but the tiny section of hair that she did test burned off:look:. She is now too paranoid about straightening out of fear of her hair not reverting back. She purchased a ceramic flat iron earlier this year because she does want to straighten eventually; just too scurred right now...:lol:.

Last edited:

Cheleigh

I won't say I'll never straighten, but in the 18 months I've been natural, plus my transitioning time, I haven't used heat to straighten since June 2005.

I might do a light flatiron this month or before the year's end, but I might not. My biggest concern is heat damage, and I'm generally to lazy to straighten and then keep it up.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I love being able to switch up hairstyles :yep: so knowing that, I'll never completely give up using heat to straighten my hair. :look: One thing I can say that I'll NEVER do and that is relaxing my hair....THAT will NEVER happen again. :nono: :nono:

morehairplease

I am getting my hair pressed for the first time in a long time tommorrow and plan on getting braids in 2 weeks. My ends are in the worst shape ever and they must go. I do not plan on pressing that often though only when I need to trim/dust the ends.

mscocoface

I think it has been about 4-5 years since I have used

It has been a while since I have used any type of heat. Not sure if I will use it again. For now I am happy with NO heat.

KEWLKAT103

I have straightened once this year and will probably straighten again in another 5 months. I like dealing with my hair in it's natural state and straightening doesn't work for my daily lifestyle.
I'm not opposed to it though. I like being able to choose if I want to go straight or natural.

KittenLongPaw

I don't ever straighten my hair. I am afraid of heat damage, because when I straightened it in the past before I knew how to take good care of my hair, some parts never quite curled the same way again. I do braid it to straighten it out some, but no heat.

Whenever I think of the heat used to get hair straight, all I can think of is it just FRYING my hair. No thanks.