Naturals who flat iron - tips please!!

angellazette

What is your regimen when you flat iron?

I'm really thinking about flat ironing my whole head since the BC and I'm curious as to what you all are doing to get your hair sleek. My hair gets frizzy within the hour even after using heat protectant. I use a Sedu on 160 and it'll get straight, but in short time there's frizz!

I wonder if I should flat iron, then wrap...anyway, do share!

Last edited:

ladylibra

i had that problem too - my hair reverts easily if there is any hint of moisture in the air!

my process is as follows:

1) wash and deep condition hair for 15-25 minutes w/Trader Joe's Nourish shampoo and conditioner (i use a cap but i don't sit under a dryer), then detangle with wide-tooth comb and rinse.

2) add Wild Growth Oil, detangle with smaller-toothed comb and braid hair into about 12 sections, let dry overnight. you can blowdry if you want, i just suggest using a heat protectant before doing so. i'm just lazy so i divide the process up into 2 days.

3) take down one braid at a time starting from the back of my head, spray with Silk Elements heat protectant (forget the exact name), straighten with CHI knockoff from Sally's. i do use a pocket comb at this point for the ends, if you have a rattail that works too but i just refuse to buy one, LOL! :lol:

4) immediately after pressing a small section to desired straightness, i take a tiny dollop of Aveda's Anti-Humectant Pomade, rub between my fingers, and distribute to straightened section. this stuff works wonders, i promise you! too little won't get desired results, hence why i put it on every piece i straighten instead of waiting until i'm completely finished to just apply to my entire head. but too much will make your hair kinda heavy and greasy-feeling, so keep that in mind if you want "swingy" hair.

5) wrap at night, unwrap in the morning, enjoy straight hair for another day! :D

***when i went to get my hair trimmed this past weekend, the stylist used Redken products to wash and condition, and a leave-in conditioner that kinda pulled my texture a little less coily (not a lot, just a little). i think it's called Smooth-Down or something like that... i know it's probably pricey but i did love it! and she used Mizani products to blowdry and flat iron - a heat protectant, pomade and anti-humectant spray. i didn't feel the anti-humectant spray worked nearly as well as Aveda's though... but that's just IMO.

hope some of this info helps! :D

I would suggest trying Creme Satin Press to keep your hair from reverting. It made a huge difference on how long my presses would last without all the grease. You apply it after you've conditioned your hair and then blow dry your hair.

I forgot to mention using a ceramic flat iron. IMO they are the best type of flat iron period. The difference between the ceramic and a metal plate is like night and day. I bought mine from Sally's it was roughly $60. But it paid for itself the first time I used it because I haven't been back to a beauty shop since. That was almost 4 years ago.

remnant

angellazette said:
What is your regimen when you flat iron?

I'm really thinking about flat ironing my whole head since the BC and I'm curious as to what you all are doing to get your hair sleek. My hair gets frizzy within the hour even after using heat protectant. I use a Sedu on 160 and it'll get straight, but in short time there's frizz!

I wonder if I should flat iron, then wrap...anyway, do share!

This is what I do:
  1. Pre poo(cholesterol, shea, different oils)_one night
  2. poo
  3. avocado treatment(courtesy of Candy-C) _1 hour
  4. conditionning,detangling
  5. rinse
  6. moisturizer (a little bit)
  7. 1 pump of heat protectant on damp hair (redken heat glide)
  8. airdry in 4 braid or banding
the day after
  • re application of heat protection (3 pumps)
  • section (tiny sections)hair with the tail of a rattail comb,
  • comb hair with a large tooth comb and my demnan like brush before the flat iron(180°C two or three passes)
  • I don't use the blow dryer and my hair come out straight then I rollerset it and cover it with a silk scarf for 3 hours or more!!
Don't put to much products!

ChocoKitty

My tips are
-deep condition well,
-don't use a lot of products, if you use heat protectant use a water based one. I like Elasta QP's Silk Thermal Design liquid.
(Personally--I only use Surge to detangle after every wash. I get better results this way. )
-Make sure you are using enough heat. If I don't use enough heat my hair will revert.

angellazette

ladylibra said:
i had that problem too - my hair reverts easily if there is any hint of moisture in the air!

my process is as follows:

1) wash and deep condition hair for 15-25 minutes w/Trader Joe's Nourish shampoo and conditioner (i use a cap but i don't sit under a dryer), then detangle with wide-tooth comb and rinse.

2) add Wild Growth Oil, detangle with smaller-toothed comb and braid hair into about 12 sections, let dry overnight. you can blowdry if you want, i just suggest using a heat protectant before doing so. i'm just lazy so i divide the process up into 2 days.

3) take down one braid at a time starting from the back of my head, spray with Silk Elements heat protectant (forget the exact name), straighten with CHI knockoff from Sally's. i do use a pocket comb at this point for the ends, if you have a rattail that works too but i just refuse to buy one, LOL! :lol:

4) immediately after pressing a small section to desired straightness, i take a tiny dollop of Aveda's Anti-Humectant Pomade, rub between my fingers, and distribute to straightened section. this stuff works wonders, i promise you! too little won't get desired results, hence why i put it on every piece i straighten instead of waiting until i'm completely finished to just apply to my entire head. but too much will make your hair kinda heavy and greasy-feeling, so keep that in mind if you want "swingy" hair.

5) wrap at night, unwrap in the morning, enjoy straight hair for another day! :D

***when i went to get my hair trimmed this past weekend, the stylist used Redken products to wash and condition, and a leave-in conditioner that kinda pulled my texture a little less coily (not a lot, just a little). i think it's called Smooth-Down or something like that... i know it's probably pricey but i did love it! and she used Mizani products to blowdry and flat iron - a heat protectant, pomade and anti-humectant spray. i didn't feel the anti-humectant spray worked nearly as well as Aveda's though... but that's just IMO.

hope some of this info helps! :D

Thanks for the recs! There's a salon just around the corner, can I get the Aveda there? I saw your press, nice pics!

I also have the Fantasia Liquid Mousse hairspray. I'll give that a try and use it how you use the Aveda.

Last edited:

angellazette

soun said:
This is what I do:
  1. Pre poo(cholesterol, shea, different oils)_one night
  2. poo
  3. avocado treatment(courtesy of Candy-C) _1 hour
  4. conditionning,detangling
  5. rinse
  6. moisturizer (a little bit)
  7. 1 pump of heat protectant on damp hair (redken heat glide)
  8. airdry in 4 braid or banding
the day after
  • re application of heat protection (3 pumps)
  • section (tiny sections)hair with the tail of a rattail comb,
  • comb hair with a large tooth comb and my demnan like brush before the flat iron(180°C two or three passes)
  • I don't use the blow dryer and my hair come out straight then I rollerset it and cover it with a silk scarf for 3 hours or more!!
Don't put to much products!

Oooo thanks! I've already done most of what you do on day 1, yeah this will probably be a two day event, which I have no problem with. I'll try your denman suggestion too. Only thing I don't have is the rollers. I guess I'll try the wrap instead.

Great tips ladies, keep em coming!