Flat Iron Help Please (Newbie Flat Ironer)

PuffyBrown

Hello,

I need help with flat ironing. I have just flat ironed for the first time and it looks like crap.

I dont have any pictures , but it is frizzy on the ends and part of the hair strand is straight and part is still frizzy.

Here is what I did.
I clarified yesterday, deep conditioned, moisturized with Dudley PCA and Natural Shea butter. I added Nexxus Heat Protex and air dried in braids.

Maybe its my flat iron.

What do you think I can do.

by the way i borrowed a friends flat iron it is just a regular flat iron from Wal-Mart, nothing special. Do you think that it is the flat iron.

I really think that it is my technique.

I think that there was a thread with step by step flat ironing instructions. Does anybody have that saved? I couldn't find it on a search.

How do you guys flat iron your hair?

lboogie2679

I'm no pro, but I take small sections and take a rattail comb down the section as I flatiron the piece. Try to keep the iron close to the comb.

LoveLiLi

Well, maybe the cheapie flat iron has something to do with it. I bought a cheap one from Sally's and my hair looked like crap. I took it back and got the FHI instead - it's great.

I also try not to get too heavy handed with the products I'm using and I don't use butters/grease or anything else that would weigh the hair down too much. I use a little Sabino's Moisture Block and some Aveda Universal Styling creme and I have to keep it light or I won't get the movement I want.

ETA: I air dry and my hair is always silky once it's flat ironed. Blow dryers make my hair extremely frizzy/dry/brittle.

Last edited:

LiLi

I'm no pro, but I take small sections and take a rattail comb down the section as I flatiron the piece. Try to keep the iron close to the comb.

Me too, that is how most professionals do it. That will resolve the problem with the frizzy ends.

Katt73

When I flatiron, I section and detangle my hair using a shower comb. Then I use a rattail comb and make one pass to further detangle the section. Last, I pass the flatiron from root to tip in one swipe, bumping the ends. I get the best results when I don't use a lot of product (just a leave-in and a serum).

PuffyBrown

Thanks guys for your help.

Now, with the products in the hair before you flat iron.

Normally after I wash, I will put in shea on my roots, PCA, and spay some Nexxus Heat Protexx.

Is that all I need to do if I am going to flat iron too?