Naturals! Lets talk neat twists

transitioning?

Hey guys,

What products do yall use to keep your twists from getting fuzzy? I know a lot of ppl use butters and stuff. I need help my twists get fuzzy after about 2 days.

Please help me yall.

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Nonie

For me, no products is what works for me. Just wash my hair twice a week, one of those includes a DC; baggy nightly. Can wear twists for weeks. These had been worn 4 weeks and washed 8 times:

faithVA

I have to use a gel to keep the fuzz at bay. Right now I am alternating between Joie Naturals and KCCC. Then midweek, I mist with SM mist and then apply a butter.

I've tried just twisting with a butter and they don't make it 24 hours :lol:

Lucky's Mom

I twist tightly - and I use lotion or some butter to make them smooth. Of course everyone is different and you results vary.

newgrowth15

Nothing works in my hair like HE LTR and Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. My twists stay fresh looking for the entire week. I wash my hair every week and change my hair styles frequently.

transitioning?

For me, no products is what works for me. Just wash my hair twice a week, one of those includes a DC; baggy nightly. Can wear twists for weeks. These had been worn 4 weeks and washed 8 times:

Nonie I wish I could wear my twists that long. If I did what u did I would have more hair out of the twist than in. lol. I like ur twists. I'm soo jealous. :p

transitioning?

I have to use a gel to keep the fuzz at bay. Right now I am alternating between Joie Naturals and KCCC. Then midweek, I mist with SM mist and then apply a butter.

I've tried just twisting with a butter and they don't make it 24 hours :lol:

I've been wanting to try KCCC. Is it really worth the money? Do u use the knot today too. I heard that it leaves a white film if u mix it with the wrong products.

transitioning?

Nothing works in my hair like HE LTR and Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. My twists stay fresh looking for the entire week. I wash my hair every week and change my hair styles frequently.

I think I will try the Jane Carter because her products are easy to locate

Nonie

@Nonie I wish I could wear my twists that long. If I did what u did I would have more hair out of the twist than in. lol. I like ur twists. I'm soo jealous. :p

It may be the way you twist. Do you twirl the hair in each strand before wrapping the strands around each other @transitioning? ?

See this slow demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0

That helps them hold so well, yet undoing is this easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

Lucia

I did twists and they looked decent enough to wear as is
I used coconut oil first on wet hair then Giovanni direct then KCCC
They actually lasted the whole week with minimal frizzes and didn't curl themselves out of the twists. That's a first for me I usually have to redo braids or twists every 3 days my hair literally curls itself out of styles. I only had to smooth the front with some evco midweek I also went over the length too.
Im trying to figure out away to get less shrinkage but it is what it is

Nonie
Wow you can wear twists for weeks at a time
even with added hair and Eco styler 10+ hold gel my hair won't keep the twists more than 2 weeks and that's with frizzes and curling out of the twists.
If I wet them they would just come undone.

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=198592 said:
transitioning?[/USER];14391725]I've been wanting to try KCCC. Is it really worth the money? Do u use the knot today too. I heard that it leaves a white film if u mix it with the wrong products.

Its worth it to me but that's because I try not to use products with synthetic ingredients, waxes or plastics. So there are very few gels that meet that requirement. I also like to buy local so that narrows it down even more.

I don't use the knot today. I use Zuresh leave-in with is a natural product.

Many gels can leave a white film if you mix it with the wrong products. Putting gels on top of products that have ingredients that include waxes, plastics and some heavy butters can cause an issue because they are sitting on top of the hair.

People have difference experience with product absorption so if it happens to you then you really have an indicator that the product you applied under the gel doesn't absorb into your hair. And you probably don't need two products laying on top of your hair so you can skip one.

Nonie

curlyninjagirl, are a nut and need an a$$ whooping. :lol: Made my smoothie come out through my nose as I tried in vain to compose myself and regain some semblance of being a lady. :lachen: :lachen: You called it sorcery! :dead: You're so not right! LMAO

Aviah

Texture definitely plays a role in how well your hair keeps twists, braids etc. Generally the looser the curl, the less well it keeps. But to maximize how long you can keep it for, less manipulation is best. I usually braid the roots of mine and twist. Some double twist (roll the hair strands before twisting them together. Sorry I can't help much with products, but I can say shea butter does help with hold for me- though it gets greasy after a time.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
It helps for me to add my buttery moisturizer to DAMP hair and allow to air dry. Keeps my twists from fuzzing out for at least a week.

Four days after twisting.

I actually like when my twists start to fuzz, but it takes about two weeks for this to happen noticeably.

Month old twists.

ETA: Making them small also helps.

Last edited:

faithVA

[USER=198592 said:
transitioning?[/USER];14391251]Hey guys,

What products do yall use to keep your twists from getting fuzzy? I know a lot of ppl use butters and stuff. I need help my twists get fuzzy after about 2 days.

Please help me yall.

Please let us know what you find works for you after you try a few things. As you can tell we all have different ways of doing it :lol: And some will work for you and some won't.

curlyninjagirl

@curlyninjagirl, are a nut and need an a$$ whooping. :lol: Made my smoothie come out through my nose as I tried in vain to compose myself and regain some semblance of being a lady. :lachen: :lachen: You called it sorcery! :dead: You're so not right! LMAO

LAWLs. Nonie Sorry for the smoothie mishap. I've been watching BBC Merlin episodes back-to-back and that is the first word that popped into my head when I saw your 4-week twists! Uncanny!

naturalgyrl5199

After 2 years I have finally got a technique.

I stopped doing them wet-but only b/c they look longer when dry.

While wet, I section, detangle with denman, and then put a little leave in on the hair. I blow dry, and gently pull to stretch each section on a medium heat setting. When I section each part to be twisted, I use the denman one time to get all the hairs neat, then twist. I seal the tips with HE LTR Leave in (old formula...haven't tried the new one yet), and voila!
My twists lasts 3-4 weeks, but I usually go ahead and wash after 2. I DC every other week, so I only have to put oil (dime size in palm of hand and rub all over) 1, maybe 2 times a week. But the DC keeps it shiny.
I wear a silk scarf over it at night and for my 5 AM workouts I keep the scarf on, so no sweaty fuzziness there either.

Also, as I twist, I roll the hair between my fingers a bit, so all the hairs catch and its neater....

Nonie, with all that hair, how long does it take you to twist? Yours are small(er)....Twisting alone (on BSB+ hair) takes me about 3 hrs...If I am trimming it, stretching it with the dryer, sectioning, etc, It runs into 4 like this past Sunday.

When I first started twisting at SL/grazing APL...I was finished within 1.5 hrs....
But I love it, I wear lots of styles with it....Its the only way I wear my hair 99% of the time. I don't even wear twist outs anymore....

Takes time to perfect the technique how you like it. My first 2 times were a complete fail. but I was determined so I kept at it.

Charz

Sinister Minister
The best thing that I do is to sleep with them banded at night and with a scarf on my head. Sleeping on them wildly is what makes them messy for me!

Nonie

@Nonie, with all that hair, how long does it take you to twist? Yours are small(er)....Twisting alone (on BSB+ hair) takes me about 3 hrs...If I am trimming it, stretching it with the dryer, sectioning, etc, It runs into 4 like this past Sunday.

naturalgyrl5199 I don't stretch with a dryer. I just start twisting after airdrying in braids, so I guess that saves time. You can sort of see real-time twisting in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm0c7KPcj08

I usually twist while watching a movie so I had no idea how long it took, until one time when I forget whom asked me so I timed it. That was about the time I made that vid. My hair was about full SL/CBL and it took me almost one hour to do 119 twists.

Avaya

Silk Elements MegaSilk Leave-in Hair Moisturizing Creme has really helped my hair stay frizz free. My twists usually start looking frizzy by the end of week 1. With the MegaSilk, my hair still looked fresh at the end of week 2. I usually keep my twists in for 3 weeks and then wash but my scalp was itchy, otherwise, I could have gone an additional week with no problem.

I spritz my hair with diluted aloe vera juice, then put on my Talliah Waajid Bodifier Mist, and then the MegaSilk. My hair is soft and shiny with minimum frizz for weeks.

Miss*Tress

They look so fresh and neat. And pretty too.

SkySurfer

Hey Guys, just subscribed after lurking for God knows how long! Buzzing 'cos this is my first post. I've been natural all my life, and the way my mum taught me to do twists is the way Nonie does them, they stay neat for ages that way