Naturals HELP: Transition with braid & weave

rootdeep

Have any of you transitioned with braids/weave?

I have been secretly doing some heavy research on taking that plunge. I have some fotki albums of some BEAUTIFUL napturals whose hair I love. I plan on chopping it all off at 30 (giving me 2 years to get it together...maybe sooner depends on how this goes). Have any of you transitioned with braids and weave? I would prefer to do weaves because finding a legit braider that gets to work and stops to chit chat it up every 10 minutes has been hard.

How long did you transition with the braids/weave?
Were there any moments that you wished you never left the creamy crack?

HELP....:ohwell:

I have so many questions....I'm going to go read the Transitioners thread

LovedAlot

I am currently transitioning. I am doing it with braids as I see the most growth with them. It was a little hard in the beginning, but I am verry used to it now. What I do is have it trimmed every four to six and will do so until my relaxed ends are gone. I did this for three years and then got a relaxer in December 05. I decided to go back to transitionin in June of 06. My hair doesn't do well with relaxers at all. I have had tremendous growth and thickness with the help of MTG. It has taken my hair only eight months to reach the length it was at a year and a half into my last transition. I'm pretty excited. :) Good luck if you decided to transition. I surely don't regret it.

glamazon386

Well I didn't really transition per say. I was doing my usual stretching and decided to cut all my hair off one day. I mostly wore weaves though. I did have braids in for about a month out of the 5.5 months between my last relaxer and my BC. Personally, weaves were easier for me. They lasted longer for me, were easier for me to maintain, took a shorter amount of time to complete (I could do it myself) and they saved me money versus paying $200 for a head of braids that I would be bored with in a month. The weave allowed me to switch my style up more often.

I'd say go with what you feel most comfortable with. Some people just don't like weaves. I was the other way around. I didn't want braids and stayed away from them for years after bad experience my freshman year of college. Do what's right for you and your hair.

bLackButtaFly

I've been natural for about two years(this may!) and I think I transitioned for about 7 months give or take(it was from july to may) In the beginning of my transition I wore individual braids, the kind braided to about the middle with with the ends out. Then I took them out for about a month and went on spring break wearing a flat twist out. One look at those pictures and I took a pair of scissors and cut all the relaxed ends off of my hair. I think it is good to use braids as long as they're not too tight. Also I would recommend getting larger braids so you don't have as much breakage. IF I had to do it over again I probably would have done braids/ or twists about two months at a time, and then slowly trimmed off my relaxer. I have never used a weave, but if you're gonna do it PLEASE use a sew in, because that glue is sooooo damaging to your hair. but seeing as how you're on LHCF I know you wouldn't even think of doing that.
Also if you do decide to do a bc sooner rather than later it could be good. After I bc'd I was in shock:eek: and ran, not walked to my braider, and rocked kinky twists or sengalese twists for almost another year. I liked the twists, #1 because they are usually worn longer than braids #2 cover the whole length of your hair, so there's no fear of a lazy braider not braiding far enough leaving you with fuzzy frizzy ends:perplexed.
Whatever you choose I wish you lots of hair luck:cheers:. Oh and don't be stingy with the moisturizer especially with those relaxed ends. it will save you alot of breakage grief later.;)

oh, and I never wish to go back to the creamy crack. I think the only time that becomes a problem is when you only want to wear your straight, in hich case I wonder whether being natural is right for you. If you want to go natural then you should enjoy your natural hair texture as well as the straight look otherwise you might do more heat damage to your hair.

Last edited:

Aubergold

I transitioned for like almost two years right until the last relaxed piece fell off by itself, lol. I used microbraids and then kinky twists and braids when my hair became mostly natural. The only hard thing was that people thought I was bald cause i wore braids all the time.

Please make sure you take care of your hair even while under braids, I didn't in the beginning and my hair was so terribly dry

Tenejita10473

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of someone being natural (with short hair) and using a "natural" weave and maybe doing a twist out with that :confused: , is that a stupid question? I just wish my hair was longer (sometimes) but I LOVE MY NATURAL HAIR...are there any options?

bLackButtaFly

Sure, i've heard of it. Look at Beyonce on 106 and park...well, you get the idea. It's very common. Natural hair is just like any other, and alot of womenjust wat the length and weave would be a good way to do that

missnappylady

I transitioned (unintentionaly) in braids. I honestly don't think I could have gone natural any other way.

Last edited: