4a Naturals HELP!! Hard Crunchy Hair!!!! Need Cure!

kbragg

Ok here's my delimma. I BC'ed 2 weeks ago so my ends are fresh. I did do an Aphogee treatment as it's been almost a year since I last did one. The problem is my ends feel hard and wirey:( The hair closer to my scalp and up until the last 1/8 inch is soft and the curls are well defined but the last 1/8 inch is hard frizz. I tried DCing with Elasta QP and it didn't help. I've also tried Elasta QP mango Butter and S curl, but the hair stays hard and frizzy. I really want my curls to pop and to have pillowy soft hair. What products can I use to help acheive that? What works for you? Thanks in advance!

PS: When my hair is loaded with conditioner, or when I use Fantasica IC gel the curls look gorgeous, but it just dries as a frizzy mess. HEEEEELP!!!!

My guess is the Apoghee is the culprit. As a natural, you dont need strong protein even if its been a year. I would just do moisturizing DCs two or three times a week until you get your softness back. Read the ingredients on Elasta-QP, it may have protein as well...which means you doubly loaded your hair with protein.

Oh...and to start...I would mix a little baking soda in with a cheapie conditioner to kinda loosen all the buildup that you have from the products or use a clarifying conditioner (although baking soda has gotten me softer hair in my experience) and then DC with a moisturizing conditioner. After two or three sessions of moisture, moisture, moisture....your hair should be soft.

I am fighting this as well. S curl and coconut oil on my ends....and DC's weekly are helping me bounce back.

I am going to try the baking soda in my conditioners.

I recommend ORS creamy olive oil shampoo. It cleanses w/o stripping the hair, and leaves it more moisturized, which helps conditioners work better. I would also recommend sealing the ends of your hair, before they dry, with an oil like jojoba or coconut.

I am also +/- 3 weeks post bc and had the same problem. Although your hair is longer than mine, I was able to tame the frizzyness with Miss Jessie's curl pudding mixed with the buttercreme. My shea butter would not work nor woudd S-curl or any other product, except Miss Jessie's.

It's weird b/c initially I thought it was just leftover relaxed ends, but realized it couldn't have been because I had some of my natural hair cut too (along with the relaxed).

I'm thinking it may be another "grade" of hair if you will.

I say try kinky curly or miss jessie's.

Try doing a moisturizing DC w/heat a couple of times a week. When I use Elasta for a DC I usually add oil to it. My new favorite conditioner is Hairveda Moist 24/7, it makes my hair feel sooooo good. Also what leave in are you using? THe right leave in can really make a difference. Just hang in there though, honestly my first couple few inches of hair when I stopped relaxing were dry and weird acting. Some people don't believe in scab hair but I do, I ended up having to cut that stuff off. DCing regularly should help though. You may also try cowashing. What shampoo are you using? I know sulfates make my natural hair feel really hard and dry.

edited- I just visited your fotki and noticed that you used heat to straighten and make buns while transitioning, this can also cause dry hair and it may take a while for your hair to feel soft if you've used alot of heat on it.

Last edited:
Argh!

Okay, fair disclosure. I've tried this three times, it's worked like heaven all three times, but I haven't been sharing it because - 1) it's weird 2) I don't understand how or why it works 3) I don't know if it could have negative impact to hair over a long term.

All that said.................... :look:

Try mixing a little salt into your conditioner. Yeah, regular old Mortons. About a tsp or two into about 8 oz of conditioner. Every time I've done this (usually because I was ready to cut off my crunchy ends) my hair has turned into butter.

I don't know why. I can't explain how. It might just be me - but it works. It's been working for some ladies on tLHC, too - no clear understanding of HOW, but it makes your hair SO. FREAKING. SOFT.

I dunno. I kinda want someone else to try it, to see if it works for them, too, but - fair disclosure, and all. :look:

Argh!

Okay, fair disclosure. I've tried this three times, it's worked like heaven all three times, but I haven't been sharing it because - 1) it's weird 2) I don't understand how or why it works 3) I don't know if it could have negative impact to hair over a long term.

Try mixing a little salt into your conditioner. Yeah, regular old Mortons. About a tsp or two into about 8 oz of conditioner. Every time I've done this (usually because I was ready to cut off my crunchy ends) my hair has turned into butter.

I don't know why. I can't explain how. It might just be me - but it works. It's been working for some ladies on tLHC, too - no clear understanding of HOW, but it makes your hair SO. FREAKING. SOFT.

I dunno. I kinda want someone else to try it, to see if it works for them, too, but - fair disclosure, and all. :look:

I will try it tomorrow morning when I wash my hair. Hmmm, salt....I would have never thought of such....

I will try it tomorrow morning when I wash my hair. Hmmm, salt....I would have never thought of such....

I know! I initially did it by accident - mixing baking soda & citric acid (acid + base = salt & water), and then once I saw the thread on tLHC, I tried it on purpose using just salt and - somehow, it works.

Please let me know how it turns out!!

I know! I initially did it by accident - mixing baking soda & citric acid (acid + base = salt & water), and then once I saw the thread on tLHC, I tried it on purpose using just salt and - somehow, it works.

I will.

Kbragg, maybe you should try this too. :yep: We are both 4a's.

Argh!

salt you say.....I will give this a try. Unfortunately, I went and got another cut last week due to crunchy ends :wallbash:.

I'm like excited and nervous, all at the same time - I really hope this works for ya'll!!!!! *nibbling on nails*

I like to put mayonaise on my dry hair before I wash it. The mayo really softens my hair. I mix mayo, one egg, and a little olive oil. I am 4a natural hair texture.

I am going to try this too! My hubby asked me 2 days ago why was my hair so dry? This s the first week I noticed it being extra dry. The shea butter is not working the same and I have been slacking off a lot on my MT. Maybe MY hair likes protein and it is missing it. I am prepooing with oil right now but I am going to add salt to my dc.

Argh!

wow girl now thats really strange! how did you even think to try this? yeah I'm with you, what about this would make this work? wow I am totally stumped at this one JK!

Oh read a little further and find the explanation

I WAS LIKE HUH? Why would she even think to try this

this is strange, like ocean water, wouldnt that dry it out?

I always said I have 'oil' hair because of how much my hair loves OIL and some people's just doesnt , so I concocted this 'Oil hair' vs 'Water hair' thing in my mind and low and behold if I didnt see it on another site called the same thing!

maybe there is salt hair too?

wow this is strange girl!

wow girl now thats really strange! how did you even think to try this? yeah I'm with you, what about this would make this work? wow I am totally stumped at this one JK!

Initially, it was an accident...... Then, there is a thread on tLHC about using a salt + clay mix that softens hair - and I mentioned how my 'accidental' salt mix worked, and some of the ladies there tried salt as well, and it's working - I'm the only 3b and up who has tried it, though. :lol:

Initially, it was an accident...... Then, there is a thread on tLHC about using a salt + clay mix that softens hair - and I mentioned how my 'accidental' salt mix worked, and some of the ladies there tried salt as well, and it's working - I'm the only 3b and up who has tried it, though. :lol:

wow girl, maybe you should do a seperate post for the daring to try it, it might help alot of folks

it was me that poured a bottle of oil over my head and squeezed it out and posted here about my little discovery 'the oil wash' in 2006, now there are many variations of the 'oil rinse'

stranger things have happened, I'm really interested to see what other's results would be too

wow girl, maybe you should do a seperate post for the daring to try it, it might help alot of folks

it was me that poured a bottle of oil over my head and squeezed it out and posted here about my little discovery 'the oil wash' in 2006, now there are many variations of the 'oil rinse'

stranger things have happened, I'm really interested to see what other's results would be too

Heh, I'll wait to see how it works for these ladies, and if they don't come back in here looking for my head :)look:) I'll post a thread. :yep:

:lachen: I feel you, but now I'm thinking there might be something to this

is baking soda a salt?

Not really - it's considered a base, but it does contain Sodium - it's Sodium Bicarbonate.

But according to my friend wiki -

Reaction of sodium bicarbonate and an acid to give a salt and carbonic acid, which readily decomposes to carbon dioxide and water....

and most conditioner have SOME form of acid in them, so mixing BS & con might react (if it's reacting, it'll foam up a little from the release of carbon dioxide) to give a salt.....

The interesting question is what is salt doing to hair?

Another thought that was presented on tLHC was that in labs, they have to use salt water to rehydrate cells, because regular water won't work, and that perhaps the use of salt in conditioner does something to the hair that allows it to hold water (thus moisture, thus softness) better........ but I did a wicked googlefu and couldn't find anything that seemed to make the pieces fit...

Last edited:
Not really - it's considered a base, but it does contain Sodium - it's Sodium Bicarbonate.

But according to my friend wiki -

and most conditioner have SOME form of acid in them, so mixing BS & con might react (if it's reacting, it'll foam up a little from the release of carbon dioxide) to give a salt.....

The interesting question is what is salt doing to hair?

Another thought that was presented on tLHC was that in labs, they have to use salt water to rehydrate cells, because regular water won't work, and that perhaps the use of salt in conditioner does something to the hair that allows it to hold water (thus moisture, thus softness) better........ but I did a wicked googlefu and couldn't find anything that seemed to make the pieces fit...
funny i THOUGHT of that too, they treat dehydration with Saline water

I'm going to drink a gatorade right now, maybe our hair has that same deep down thirst, I dunno girl, but this is interesting and my hair stays thirsty so I am waiting to hear the results too

I completely understand...and the only reason that I don't have this problem anymore is because I started using water/glycerin spritz and castor oil. Haven't had dry, crunchy hair since!

I remember watching The Food Channel this lady was giving instructions on how she cooked her fried chicken she put the uncooked chicken in salted water and let it sit for awhile I tried this did not like it because the chicken was too soft and tender and the taste was a little off to me now I use sea salt on my fish and love it.

So salt is a natural tenderizer added with water can't wait to try this on my hair with a conditioner wow thanks

I remember watching The Food Channel this lady was giving instructions on how she cooked her fried chicken she put the uncooked chicken in salted water and let it sit for awhile I tried this did not like it because the chicken was too soft and tender and the taste was a little off to me now I use sea salt on my fish and love it.

So salt is a natural tenderizer added with water can't wait to try this on my hair with a conditioner wow thanks

meat and fish are protein and so is our hair, maybe it softens up hard proteins?

wow this is a trip , cant wait to hear more results on this

errybody knows I'm a scaredy cat on most things already! I wait things out thats just MO :sekret:

I completely understand...and the only reason that I don't have this problem anymore is because I started using water/glycerin spritz and castor oil. Haven't had dry, crunchy hair since!

My suggestion exactly. Most oils & my hair do not mix, but castor oil is my friend :yep:! Get a spray bottle & fill it most of the way with water, then add in a generous amount of castor oil & glycerin and shake. Spray your hair in the am & pm; at night spray then put you hair in big french braids or twists to help hold in the moisture. In a few days you won't believe how moisturized your hair will feel.

My suggestion exactly. Most oils & my hair do not mix, but castor oil is my friend :yep:! Get a spray bottle & fill it most of the way with water, then add in a generous amount of castor oil & glycerin and shake. Spray your hair in the am & pm; at night spray then put you hair in big french braids or twists to help hold in the moisture. In a few days you won't believe how moisturized your hair will feel.

hi there,

do you mind me asking where you purchase your glycerin from?

tia,
tishee

Back