Naturals and the moisture issue

FeelinIt

I just did a big chop again cutting off about 4-5 inches of permed hair. It was great to be able to wash my hair and be through! But now I'm experiencing a problem with my natural hair that in the past would send me back to straightening or perming......DRYNESS!!!

The only way I know how to keep my hair moisturized so that it feels soft is to keep it wet. I have to wet it daily to keep it from getting dry. For me there is no other way or the tangles and knots start and then I start hating my hair again.

What do you other naturals do? Will it be detrimental to my hair if I wet it in the shower daily or CD daily?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Since you just chopped your hair is probably in shock. DC it overnight and see if that helps. My hair was really dry right after I chopped but it got softer later on.

Since you just chopped your hair is probably in shock. DC it overnight and see if that helps. My hair was really dry right after I chopped but it got softer later on.

Actually my hair felt pretty good after i chopped it off. But it seems like the next day, I have to spritz it with water or rewet it to keep it right. Do you have to constantly keep it wet or does it stay soft w/o wetting it daily?

I will try the DC. I think I am in need of one. I'll do one tonight and report what happens later on in the week.

thanks for the help!

You're wetting your hair everyday, but are you using anything to seal the moisture in? You might need an oil - probably something heavy like castor oil to really keep it moist. If that's too heavy you can cut it with a lighter oil like jojoba or grapeseed. Hopefully this'll help so you don't have to wash so often and don't get so many tangles.

Actually my hair felt pretty good after i chopped it off. But it seems like the next day, I have to spritz it with water or rewet it to keep it right. Do you have to constantly keep it wet or does it stay soft w/o wetting it daily?

I will try the DC. I think I am in need of one. I'll do one tonight and report what happens later on in the week.

thanks for the help!

No... I didn't keep my hair wet when I first chopped. It felt soft to the touch but it looked dull and dry. I got a weave the next day and wore them back to back for a few months. I used to condition my hair but I think the natural hair just needed more than it was getting when I was transitioning. The permed hair was fine. So after I dced it overnight a few times it was alright. It didn't look dry anymore and my curls looked softer and more defined.

I only wash my hair once a week even now. I might rewet on occasion if my wash and go got smushed from sleeping on it but that's about it. I rarely keep my hair wet. Washing and DCing once a week keeps my hair soft all the time. HTH...

I feel your pain, I've been dealing with dryness ever since I BC. I just started deep conditioning and I agree it is helping. I have not done an overnight DC so I will try that next week.

No... I didn't keep my hair wet when I first chopped. It felt soft to the touch but it looked dull and dry. I got a weave the next day and wore them back to back for a few months. I used to condition my hair but I think the natural hair just needed more than it was getting when I was transitioning. The permed hair was fine. So after I dced it overnight a few times it was alright. It didn't look dry anymore and my curls looked softer and more defined.

I only wash my hair once a week even now. I might rewet on occasion if my wash and go got smushed from sleeping on it but that's about it. I rarely keep my hair wet. Washing and DCing once a week keeps my hair soft all the time. HTH...

What are you using to deep condition with?

Dry and Dull natural hair checking in.

I've deep conditioned(not overnight)but I still have dull/dry looking hair.

What deep conditioner are you all using? I've used Olive Oil Cholesterol, and Queene Helena Cholesterol.

What sort of leave-in are you using?

I can't really comment on the dryness, as I'm 80% certain that henna has kept my dryness in check, but I've noticed that the weeks I don't use a nice leave-in in my hair, or try to go extra light on the amount applied, my hair will feel like who did what and WHY by the end of the week.

Even when I do use a good leave-in, during the summer I will spritz my hair every night (50% water, 25% conditioner, 25% glcyrine) and baggy it to really keep the moisture level high. During the cooler months, I don't have to do it every night - every other night is good, and at the minimum once in the middle of the week.

Henna also helps with the 'dull' look.... also, making sure your hair is clean and clarified will help with the dryness....

Its been a while since my BC, but I do know that when you wet the hair is a good time to add a leave-in/moisturizer. I use either a nexxus humectress or Elucence Moisture balance or Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil in a jar. Making sure to not just rub it on the top and edges, but part my hair so it is throughout. Then i put a small amount of oil (olive, jojoba or almond) in my hand and rub over top of the moisturizer to seal it in. When it dries it wont be as greasy as when applied on dry hair.

Also each week i deep condition without heat. It may take sometime, but your hair will begin to thrive and have more sheen and softness. Always cover you hair with a satin cap or sleep on a satin pillow case or do both. Cotton will rob you new hairdo of moisture. HTH

Try glycerin, my hair loves glycerine, so try it my work for you. In the past I've used Stay soft fro with success. I just switch over to Long Aid activator gel, because Stay soft fro is a little messy to deal with. Both of these products main ingredients are glycerin. I also use just plain glycerin mix with either shea butter, avocado butter, or amla/vatika mix.

I find stretching my hair after applying moisture products , makes a difference.
Leaving my hair completely open" fro, just hanging" allows air to rob the moisture even faster. Puffs , twists , pony tales, keep moist longer. :look:

Try glycerin, my hair loves glycerine, so try it my work for you. In the past I've used Stay soft fro with success. I just switch over to Long Aid activator gel, because Stay soft fro is a little messy to deal with. Both of these products main ingredients are glycerin. I also use just plain glycerin mix with either shea butter, avocado butter, or amla/vatika mix.

I've been using glycerine for 2 months now. What a difference in my hair!!!
Byebye dryness. I mix glycerine, water, castor oil (and sometimes I add hempseed oil) in a spray bottle and apply twice a week. My hair stays moisturized for days.

Dry and Dull natural hair checking in.

I've deep conditioned(not overnight)but I still have dull/dry looking hair.

What deep conditioner are you all using? I've used Olive Oil Cholesterol, and Queene Helena Cholesterol.

The Cholesterol type conditioners always dried my hair out really bad.

Maybe a different conditiioner will help you. I have had success with Aubrey GPB and also IC Deep Penenetrating Moisturizing Conditioner by Fantasia.

Once I rinse my conditioner out, I seal it with oil and that helped me tremendously.

I do very very lightly re-wet my hair when in twists or braids to get it to fluff up in the mornings and while In the shower I put a cap on. That helps too.

Good luck to all with finding a system that helps you.

I use my semi homemade moisture mix which consists of~water, condish (vo5) and castor oil to keep my hair moisturized and soft, co washing and deep conditioning helps a great deal too. :)

I'm going to revisit glycerine tonight. I used alot when I was transitioning.I will seal w/ jessicurl oil, or cocasta oil........I will report back tomorrow.

I deep condition w/Aphogee 2-minute Keratin Reconstructor and keep a spray bottle w/a castor oil (the TROOF!!!!), water and sometimes Infusium mix . . . works great!!!

You're wetting your hair everyday, but are you using anything to seal the moisture in? You might need an oil - probably something heavy like castor oil to really keep it moist. If that's too heavy you can cut it with a lighter oil like jojoba or grapeseed. Hopefully this'll help so you don't have to wash so often and don't get so many tangles.

I usually well occassionally use olive oil after a wash. It feels okay but I still don't have that lasting softness I'm looking for. Like today, I washed my hair and put some conditioner on it and left it on and left for the day. Now it is "normal" but by tomorrow if I leave it the way it is, it will get dryer and start to break.

I will try a heavier oil. How do you seal it in though? Do you pour some into your hand and just rub it in all over or do you section off pieces of hair and oil them?

Thanks in advance!

I'm going to DC tonight and leave it on. I hate DC'ing under a dryer. My skin is too sensative for the heat. I'll wash it out in the morning before work and then apply oil to seal in the moisture.

Thanks for your help!

I feel your pain, I've been dealing with dryness ever since I BC. I just started deep conditioning and I agree it is helping. I have not done an overnight DC so I will try that next week.

Girl I'm trying not to go there with my hair. I washed my hair over the weekend and then put some gel in it (IC fantasia) and when it was time to go to bed I put a scarf on it. The next morning, I wake up and my hair looks like a cone. Stiff and smushed to death. Usually I'd have a fit, but now because of LHCF, I am able to analyze what went wrong. It was the gel and now I know that I must not put that in throughout my hair. Initially I did not think I put that much in. But after that morning, it was evident that I went overboard with the gel.

Thanks for the support!

What sort of leave-in are you using?

I can't really comment on the dryness, as I'm 80% certain that henna has kept my dryness in check, but I've noticed that the weeks I don't use a nice leave-in in my hair, or try to go extra light on the amount applied, my hair will feel like who did what and WHY by the end of the week.

Even when I do use a good leave-in, during the summer I will spritz my hair every night (50% water, 25% conditioner, 25% glcyrine) and baggy it to really keep the moisture level high. During the cooler months, I don't have to do it every night - every other night is good, and at the minimum once in the middle of the week.

Henna also helps with the 'dull' look.... also, making sure your hair is clean and clarified will help with the dryness....

Girl my goal is to have a glistening sparkling soft fro!!! CAN I GET ONE! LOL!
Leave ins do nothing for my hair. Some of them seem to make it harder to detangle or make the hair hard. That slip is not there. The softness dissapears. I love spritzing my hair though. That always works for me. I'm scared of the henna so I will do more research but I'm with the spritz combo.

Thanks!

Its been a while since my BC, but I do know that when you wet the hair is a good time to add a leave-in/moisturizer. I use either a nexxus humectress or Elucence Moisture balance or Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil in a jar. Making sure to not just rub it on the top and edges, but part my hair so it is throughout. Then i put a small amount of oil (olive, jojoba or almond) in my hand and rub over top of the moisturizer to seal it in. When it dries it wont be as greasy as when applied on dry hair.

Also each week i deep condition without heat. It may take sometime, but your hair will begin to thrive and have more sheen and softness. Always cover you hair with a satin cap or sleep on a satin pillow case or do both. Cotton will rob you new hairdo of moisture. HTH

I'll try some more leave ins. They just never seem to work for me but maybe it was because they were so thin in consistency. Thicker leave in maybe? IDK. I'll keep looking until I get my perfect hair care regimen.

Thanks!

I love that mix. Glycerin did work for me at one point but I had so many hairstyles that I never used it like I should have. I'm going to go and get some more and try that again and come up with my own spritz mix for moisture.

Thanks!

I find stretching my hair after applying moisture products , makes a difference.
Leaving my hair completely open" fro, just hanging" allows air to rob the moisture even faster. Puffs , twists , pony tales, keep moist longer. :look:

That is interesting. Why do you think so? Now that I think about it, when I twist my hair, it feels softer longer. But when I leave it alone, it becomes dryer faster. Something to think about.

Thanks for the thought.

Alright ladies I'm going to DC and leave it on until the morn and then use the rest of my leave in and oil. I will report my results on the morrow. Thanks again ladies for all of your help. Please keep the thread going. More suggestions please. Keep them coming!

Back