natural/transitioning ladies who straighten..how often to moisturize?

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I got my hair straightened today and I am hoping it can last for two weeks. How often do you ladies moisturize with your hair straightened and what do you use? I don't want my hair to revert back too quickly.

i will use an oil on my ends daily or every other day when straightened and a pomade from the pomade shop (etsy store) when needed, but I don't use water based moisturizers when my hair is straightened.

I think I may just be the longest lurker on this forum. EVER lol! Finally decided to officially join. Who knew there was so much more going on on this website?! Holy moly was i surprised!!

Anyhoo, I big chopped on Thursday night. I now have a small fro. Then I went to the salon today and stylist finished cutting off more of the relaxed ends I didnt get, and then colored my hair and then flat ironed it. I'm now wondering if I've just shot myself in the foot... Now I dont know whats actually in the products the stylist used on my hair, but I know they're pretty expensive. Whatever they are have dried out my ends to nothingness. Mind you, the whole thing LOOKS good, but when I touch it, its soooo dry!!
Now since my hair is about 98% natural, i'm afraid to throw some moisturizer on it bc believe me, the curls will come back with a vengeance. But the oil alone isnt really cutting it. What else can I use???? Help me save this straight style till at least Wednesday!!

ETA: Yay my first post EVER!!!!

Welcome, SimFio :wave:

I actually use overnight treatments as my moisturizers when my hair is straight. My main one is L'Oreal Everstrong Overnight Repair Treatment. It's meant to be left in, so it will absorb completely into your hair (no residue) and leave it super moisturized.

The other 2 I use sometimes are:
-Alterna Caviar Overnight Hair Rescue (meant to be washed out in the morning, but if you use just a little on your ends and leave it in anyway your ends will feel awesome. I wouldn't do this one every day, though)

-Nexxus Pro-mend Overnight Treatment (according to the instructions you can wash this out or leave it in)

So I moisturize once a day -- I put in whatever I'm using at night and put my hair in a bun (or if you wrap your hair, do that), then in the morning my hair is nice and moisturized, don't need to do anything else. If I do want a little extra oomph or want to make sure my hair resists frizzing during the day I'll use a teeeensy bit of Fekkai Glossing Cream. But that stuff builds up easily, so use with caution (it's pretty awesome, though).

Thanks so much ladies. I think I will use my oil based moisturizers every other day. I will be steaming my hair the night before I straighten as well so I'll see how this goes.

Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Treatment. Discovered this works just beautifully on second day straightened hair - I put some on overnight after straightening, put a silk scarf on to sleep, my hair was just as straight, silky and bouncy as when I'd just done it. It stops the hair reverting, my braidout kept it's original length.
It has a ph of 3.2, quite low, I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Directions are to use every other night for two weeks.

Mizani H20 is another overnight treatment that leaves hair so soft and silky, worth every penny!

Welcome, SimFio :wave:

I actually use overnight treatments as my moisturizers when my hair is straight. My main one is L'Oreal Everstrong Overnight Repair Treatment. It's meant to be left in, so it will absorb completely into your hair (no residue) and leave it super moisturized.

The other 2 I use sometimes are:
-Alterna Caviar Overnight Hair Rescue (meant to be washed out in the morning, but if you use just a little on your ends and leave it in anyway your ends will feel awesome. I wouldn't do this one every day, though)

-Nexxus Pro-mend Overnight Treatment (according to the instructions you can wash this out or leave it in)

So I moisturize once a day -- I put in whatever I'm using at night and put my hair in a bun (or if you wrap your hair, do that), then in the morning my hair is nice and moisturized, don't need to do anything else. If I do want a little extra oomph or want to make sure my hair resists frizzing during the day I'll use a teeeensy bit of Fekkai Glossing Cream. But that stuff builds up easily, so use with caution (it's pretty awesome, though).

Victorian What makes an overnight treatment different from a regular moisturizer in terms of reversion?

Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Treatment. Discovered this works just beautifully on second day straightened hair - I put some on overnight after straightening, put a silk scarf on to sleep, my hair was just as straight, silky and bouncy as when I'd just done it. It stops the hair reverting, my braidout kept it's original length.
It has a ph of 3.2, quite low, I don't know if this has anything to do with it. Directions are to use every other night for two weeks.

Mizani H20 is another overnight treatment that leaves hair so soft and silky, worth every penny!

I have the overnight H2O and I like it on my straightened hair. It does nothing for my natural twistouts though. What is the difference with the moisturizing treatment. I thought the H2O was an overnight moisturizing treatment.

I have the overnight H2O and I like it on my straightened hair. It does nothing for my natural twistouts though. What is the difference with the moisturizing treatment. I thought the H2O was an overnight moisturizing treatment.

Sorry I meant the H20 Overnight Moisturizing Tx. I too have only used this on straight hair, not on twist/braid outs. It's perfect for straight hair :yep: just wish I could afford to buy it more often.

OMG. The Keracare is exactly what i just bought a couple of days ago and what I will be using!

OMG. The Keracare is exactly what i just bought a couple of days ago and what I will be using!

Anonymous1 - This was an accidental discovery for me. I used the Keracare Tx on my hair at bedtime after straightening bc I wanted to replace any moisture lost to the heat of the irons. I can only wear straight hair for 1 day at a time bc it always reverts within a few hours. Because of the low PH of the Keracare I mixed mine with Cantu Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream, which has a similar texture. I mixed for two reasons:

1) The Keracare Tx is my most expensive product and I didn't want to use up too much

2) Keracare is an intensive moisturizing tx and directions are to use every other night for just two weeks, and I had already put some on my hair before straightening so didn't want to overdo it.

I didn't rebraid the hair, too drunk and tired, I just piled it up and put on my satin scarf. When I woke up next morning my hair actually looked BETTER than it did the night before - it had length and movement and was so soft, and a quick shake of my head my hair fell back into place... miracle! I spent a good hour in front of the mirror strutting about and loving myself :lol:

Hope you have good results (I didn't use anything prior to straightening, just did a DC and used IC Fantasia heat protectant) please come back and let us know how it went.

Anonymous1 - This was an accidental discovery for me. I used the Keracare Tx on my hair at bedtime after straightening bc I wanted to replace any moisture lost to the heat of the irons. I can only wear straight hair for 1 day at a time bc it always reverts within a few hours. Because of the low PH of the Keracare I mixed mine with Cantu Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream, which has a similar texture. I mixed for two reasons:

1) The Keracare Tx is my most expensive product and I didn't want to use up too much

2) Keracare is an intensive moisturizing tx and directions are to use every other night for just two weeks, and I had already put some on my hair before straightening so didn't want to overdo it.

I didn't rebraid the hair, too drunk and tired, I just piled it up and put on my satin scarf. When I woke up next morning my hair actually looked BETTER than it did the night before - it had length and movement and was so soft, and a quick shake of my head my hair fell back into place... miracle! I spent a good hour in front of the mirror strutting about and loving myself :lol:

Hope you have good results (I didn't use anything prior to straightening, just did a DC and used IC Fantasia heat protectant) please come back and let us know how it went.

I sure will. I will use it tonight. I got my hair straightened saturday and left it wrapped until this morning so there was no need to moisturize. I had my doo-rag on for two days. LOL

Victorian What makes an overnight treatment different from a regular moisturizer in terms of reversion?

:yep: I wanna know too!

I don't know, it just works :lol: I haven't tried the KeraCare one that others have mentioned, but it seems like there's something to these overnight treatments. Maybe it has to do with the way they are formulated when they are intended to be worn overnight? I really have no idea.

The L'Oreal one I use is totally water based, not even super creamy, not oily at all, but it never makes my hair revert. My hair just drinks it up and feels smooth the next day (sounds like how claud-uk described her experience with KeraCare).

Back